RIAT 2018 wishlist

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
Airshowhammer

Re: RIAT 2018 wishlist

Post by Airshowhammer »

Just had a flashback of XH558. She would have fit in for this celebration like none other :sad:

aviodromefriend

Post by aviodromefriend »

Airshowhammer wrote:Just had a flashback of XH558. She would have fit in for this celebration like none other :sad:
As she is not under cover, all it takes is enough wind to lift her off the ground, then enough to blow her into Fairford and let her touch down safely. #Victor. Start praying to Aeolus!
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

borismorris

Post by borismorris »

I was thinking about the Victor just the other day...we know she can still fly after all :wink: :lol:

In fact, to hell with all the red tape..lets petition for the Bruntingthorpe squadron to be permitted for the flypast..

THEN we'd have a proper RAF celebration!!

#wishfulthinking :sad:

CJS

Post by CJS »

#quitealotmorethanjustwishfulthinking
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

CJS

Post by CJS »

To be honest I don't see the point in all this "then we'd have a proper celebration" malarkey (nothing personal against you of course). Times change - yes we don't have as many types in service as we used to, but if you think about it that's actually a good thing (I'd sooner not have a return to the cold war if that's ok ;-) ).

If, and I'm well aware it's 'if' at the moment, the RAF put something on with most (or dare we dream, all) their current in service types for the Friday flypast at least, then there's not much more they can do to make it a 'proper' celebration.

Yes we'd all love it if one of every type had been kept flying but clearly that would be daft.

A modern day RAF flypast which - in theory - included F-35s Tornados, Typhoons, Hawks (both types) Tucanos, Tutors, Phenom, Sentinels, Hercules, A400m, Voyager etc etc would be 'proper' in anyone's book. Rewind 40years and it wouldn't have the Atlas in it, or the Typhoon. Should we retrospectively moan about that?

Not moan, I don't really mean that.

Just saying the fleet has changed, that's all. Shrunk yes, but that shouldn't be a surprise to anyone and like I said is actually probably a good thing anyway.
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

harkins

Post by harkins »

This is somewhat why I hope for a huge turnout of foreign air arms and lots of current hardware. When I have a birthday bash I like to invite all my family and friends and have a damned good drink and a laugh. Not just sitting and reflecting on my former self. So with a little help from civilian operators of historic RAF types, the best celebration for me is for all those 'friends and relatives' you didn't think would come so far or that you haven't seen for ages turning up to your party. It's perfect for me that Cosford are doing the trip down memory lane while Fairford does the massive knees up. Roll on July!!

I like the Canadian Hornet. Looks classy.

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

harkins wrote:This is somewhat why I hope for a huge turnout of foreign air arms and lots of current hardware. When I have a birthday bash I like to invite all my family and friends and have a damned good drink and a laugh. Not just sitting and reflecting on my former self. So with a little help from civilian operators of historic RAF types, the best celebration for me is for all those 'friends and relatives' you didn't think would come so far or that you haven't seen for ages turning up to your party. It's perfect for me that Cosford are doing the trip down memory lane while Fairford does the massive knees up. Roll on July!!

+1

lynothehammer

Post by lynothehammer »

harkins wrote:This is somewhat why I hope for a huge turnout of foreign air arms and lots of current hardware. When I have a birthday bash I like to invite all my family and friends and have a damned good drink and a laugh. Not just sitting and reflecting on my former self. So with a little help from civilian operators of historic RAF types, the best celebration for me is for all those 'friends and relatives' you didn't think would come so far or that you haven't seen for ages turning up to your party. It's perfect for me that Cosford are doing the trip down memory lane while Fairford does the massive knees up. Roll on July!!

spot on... :D

aviodromefriend

CJS wrote:(I'd sooner not have a return to the cold war if that's ok).
At least everybody knew who their bad guys were, and the threat of a nuclear war stopped everybody in going to war again. Compared with today's terror groups to be fought against, I prefer the Cold War TBH, and that is not due to airshow participation.

st24

Post by st24 »

How about one of these bad boys rather than a"Guts Airlines" Herc?!! :heyhey:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/towersight/status/954315835971162112[/tweet]
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

aviodromefriend

[tweet]https://twitter.com/airtattoo/status/954316855820341248[/tweet]So the biggest ever? Bigger than all those from the Cold War or short after the Cold War? At least the static will need a few big boosts to make that true.

borismorris

Post by borismorris »

aviodromefriend wrote:[tweet]https://twitter.com/airtattoo/status/954316855820341248[/tweet]So the biggest ever? Bigger than all those from the Cold War or short after the Cold War? At least the static will need a few big boosts to make that true.

Maybe its the stepladders in the P&V that will be the biggest ever..

Can someone give me a hand with my scaffolding?... :wink:

harkins

Post by harkins »

borismorris wrote:

Sure, I even have experience with that.

Last edited by harkins on Mon 22 Jan 2018, 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

borismorris

Post by borismorris »

harkins wrote:
borismorris wrote:

Priceless!! :rofl:

Chrisse

Post by Chrisse »

Of course it will be the biggest ever, it's never been three full days before so that immediately makes the statement true. They didn't specify what the benchmark was after all :)

aviodromefriend

Chrisse wrote:Of course it will be the biggest ever, it's never been three full days before so that immediately makes the statement true.
Longest, OK. Biggest means something different.

HeyfordDave111

Post by HeyfordDave111 »

borismorris wrote:
harkins wrote:
borismorris wrote:

Priceless!! :rofl:

All alone and not a single Phantom in sight! Mind you the Japanese fire engine looks pretty :lmao:
Got to love Russianhardware

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

Hunter ZZ191 in the flying! Stunning looking aircraft. Fits right in with the theme! Not sure if the ban at shows has been lifted though. (I know Fairford is MAA not CAA)

alizam

Post by alizam »

My personal wishlist from some air arms that usually support in large numbers:

Italian MB339s (grey ones)
Italian AMX (operational ones not from RSV)
Belgian alpha jets
French Mirages 2000C/B
RNLAF PC-7s
German CH-53s

all have attended RIAT in the past, would be lovely to see them again as they haven't been to RIAT for quite some years now!

138EAW

Post by 138EAW »

The Belgian Alpha Jets are expected to retire during 2018, not seen a definitive date mentioned anywhere though? One post online said they might be gone before September. Shame quite liked the flypast they did at KB in 2014 was hoping the same this year :grin:
Gary

G-CVIX

Post by G-CVIX »

alizam wrote:My personal wishlist from some air arms that usually support in large numbers:

Belgian alpha jets
French Mirages 2000C/B
RNLAF PC-7s
German CH-53s

all have attended RIAT in the past, would be lovely to see them again as they haven't been to RIAT for quite some years now!

Cracking little list that!

Airwolfhound

Post by Airwolfhound »

alizam wrote:My personal wishlist from some air arms that usually support in large numbers:

Belgian alpha jets
French Mirages 2000C/B
RNLAF PC-7s
German CH-53s

I'd second the CH53 vote, love that beast and has been a few years since one graced Fairford with its presence (2011 being the last time I think).
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24874528@N04/

Agile, mobile and hostile ;-)

AARDVARK

Post by AARDVARK »

It would be lovely to have some static airframes brought in such as the Harrier/Phantom/Lightning to represent the gap that will be glaringly present from say 1960 to modern day,it’s a shame that the majority of the aircraft that we associate with the post war RAF are no longer flying !

AARDVARK

Post by AARDVARK »

It would be lovely to have some static airframes brought in such as the Harrier/Phantom/Lightning to represent the gap that will be glaringly present from say 1960 to modern day,it’s a shame that the majority of the aircraft that we associate with the post war RAF are no longer flying !

HeyfordDave111

Post by HeyfordDave111 »

To be honest I think we are not looking at this the right way..... we’ll no, that’s not true, but may I suggest this ‘wishlist’ Is for airframes / types that haven’t visited Fairford in the last 10 years.

You know, the more exotic types.....

I suggested the Eurocopter a page or 2 back. Plenty around and like rocking horse doo doo.
May I add, as it’s the 100th RAF we think of a really exotic beastie or 2 to fly in formation with the Lancaster, Blenheim, GR4, etc tableau? I’m thinking the B-29, and Mosquito! Rare as, but would be missing otherwise from a 100th anniversary. (And yes I know the 29 would be hellishly expensive).

Then there’s the exotic stuff that’s never appeared at Fairford..... Harrier from Italy / Spain, Jaguar from India, Su24, Chinese aircraft (they owe us after all), Japanese sending something other than a grey passenger plane, Malta sending something as it was the RAF that saved them during WW2, Greek or Turkish phantom to perform in the Flypast, even if they can’t do a full display.
The Swedish quads, the Noggie Starfighter, maybe grey Swiss F-5, or an Austrian Typhoon,

Maybe as 558 is not available, a cockpit fest of other types that have been sorely missed in recent years.....
Vulcan, victor, valiant, banana, phantom, lightning, javelin, Shackleton, nimrod, Hunter, harrier, F3 Tonka, plus others. Why not? Bouncy castle or a delicious line up of cockpits of aircraft that would have served in the RAF during the last 100 years? What would you choose and / or want?

Shame about the Russians situation as they might have been interested in celebrating the 100th, beating in mind the aircraft flown to Russia for use in WW2.

I would hope the poles rock up big style to be honest, and would be disappointed if we didn’t see a couple of 29’s and 16’s at the very least from them.

Anyway, just my penneth worth.
Cheers
Dave
Got to love Russianhardware