RIAT Security

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
aviodromefriend

Re: RIAT Security

Post by aviodromefriend »

pb643 wrote:It has always puzzled me why more use is not made of dogs? I recently visited Chatsworth flower show and as you entered, you passed between 3 search dogs. You would have thought that dogs would be a suitable method of clearing a lot of baggage quickly?
Good luck finding enough dogs to animal four entrances that can smell metal. Dogs can smell a lot of things (harddrugs, explosives, living creatures and a lot more), but there is one thing that is needed, they can only be used to find things that produce some kind of smell. Knifes and things like that have the habbit (if cleaned in advance) to not give away some smell. Also, as pointed out in the terms you agree with when purchasing your tickets, Fairford during showdays is a very noisy place (and isn't that part of the reasons why we turn up every year?) which is why DBH doesn't encourage to bring animals. Dog's ears are maybe even more sensitive than their nose, so they might very easily get in distress, not something you want to happen with the animals you want to use as a part of your security package from an organiser's point of view.
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

Andyperkins wrote:Something I found quite bizarre was the fact that several times an hour you would hear over the speakers 'please keep an eye out for unattended bags and to report them' but throughout the day I would see people get up out of their chairs and go off sometimes not returning for hours but they were leaving all their things there which if reported could no doubt cause the show to grind to a halt.

Yes, its all a farce. Aware of that appeal and wanting to tour the static on Frday, I asked the guys next to us to keep and eye on our kit and if anyone reported our stuff as suspicious, we were not bombers and the esky was full of grub. But, of course, we would say that. So are punters meant to carry all of their kit around with them all the time or "do shifts" within a group so that the kit is never left alone. Its not possible and, I also saw many people leave their kit to wonder that static, get food, toilet break etc. If every one of those occurances had been reported to security, the whole show would have come to halt. Another example of havng the impression of tight security, but in reality, its just not possible.

PS went to the Oval yesterday and interesting to note that bag searchs are done inside the grounds surrounded by fans/punters so getting a massive "esky-bomb" in is no problem at all.
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

pb643

Post by pb643 »

aviodromefriend wrote:
pb643 wrote:It has always puzzled me why more use is not made of dogs? I recently visited Chatsworth flower show and as you entered, you passed between 3 search dogs. You would have thought that dogs would be a suitable method of clearing a lot of baggage quickly?
Good luck finding enough dogs to animal four entrances that can smell metal. Dogs can smell a lot of things (harddrugs, explosives, living creatures and a lot more), but there is one thing that is needed, they can only be used to find things that produce some kind of smell. Knifes and things like that have the habbit (if cleaned in advance) to not give away some smell. Also, as pointed out in the terms you agree with when purchasing your tickets, Fairford during showdays is a very noisy place (and isn't that part of the reasons why we turn up every year?) which is why DBH doesn't encourage to bring animals. Dog's ears are maybe even more sensitive than their nose, so they might very easily get in distress, not something you want to happen with the animals you want to use as a part of your security package from an organiser's point of view.

I appreciate that there are limitations with dogs and I am not familiar with those limitations. I wasn't suggesting that they were the complete answer, just one aspect of the security operation. I assume that the MOD has dogs that are used to working around noisy locations, like airfields?