What is it with the USAF?

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Re: What is it with the USAF?

Post by UKTopgun »

Yes a lot better, CJS. A pity it took condemnation on here from several to make you realise the error of your ways and that your original, quite valid, question was obscured by an il-judged and unwarranted attack on the USAF.

CJS

Post by CJS »

Wow :-o gotta love a bit of good old hyperbole on a Thursday evening. ;-)
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

If you think that is hyperbole, good luck to you.

play it cool

Post by play it cool »

I don't know why the B-52 and B-1 left Tuesday rather than Monday, but I do know they were sharing a tanker so would have left more or less together (albeit the B-1 could have left later and made up time).

I was gutted when I found out neither was leaving Monday, but as we're staying in the Cotswolds until the end of the week, I took my son back over to FFD on the Tuesday and after a rather boring wait in the car, saw them both depart within 5 minutes of each other. Well worth the effort although SWMBO wasn't overly impressed...

Canon

Post by Canon »

DerekF wrote:
CJS wrote:Yikes. :hide: I'll be sure to run my posts past you in the future before I slick submit Derek. :roll:

Open apology to the USAF, other US air arms and everyone who is a US citizen - I am really really sorry that my question was sneering and disrespectful and I promise never to question anything you do ever again, especially if you send aircraft to our airshow. You are are all wonderful and, of course, never deserving of any questions or (even though it wasn't) criticism.

I mean, come on. :wall:

:pinkwafer:

If you don't have the ability to ask a sensible question in polite manner then I'm only too happy to vet your posts for you. :smile: Your somewhat over-the-top reaction would suggest that you don't have that ability.
Part of the problem with fora in general is not what is asked but the way it is asked. Your attitude in your original post was clearly designed to provoke a reaction. If you said

Something I was wondering. Does anyone know why USAF aircraft often arrive early and stay for a day or two after all other show aircraft have left?

I think you might have got better answers. If that was your intention.

I see nothing wrong with the original question tbh, don't see what all the fuss is about :dunno: I would also like to know why the B-52 didn't leave on Monday when didn't RIAT advertise it as leaving then?
Canon 80D
Canon 600D
Sigma 150-600mm C
Canon 70-300mm L
Sigma 18-300mm C

Dan213

Post by Dan213 »

Canon wrote:
DerekF wrote:
CJS wrote:Yikes. :hide: I'll be sure to run my posts past you in the future before I slick submit Derek. :roll:

Open apology to the USAF, other US air arms and everyone who is a US citizen - I am really really sorry that my question was sneering and disrespectful and I promise never to question anything you do ever again, especially if you send aircraft to our airshow. You are are all wonderful and, of course, never deserving of any questions or (even though it wasn't) criticism.

I mean, come on. :wall:

:pinkwafer:

If you don't have the ability to ask a sensible question in polite manner then I'm only too happy to vet your posts for you. :smile: Your somewhat over-the-top reaction would suggest that you don't have that ability.
Part of the problem with fora in general is not what is asked but the way it is asked. Your attitude in your original post was clearly designed to provoke a reaction. If you said

Something I was wondering. Does anyone know why USAF aircraft often arrive early and stay for a day or two after all other show aircraft have left?

I think you might have got better answers. If that was your intention.

I see nothing wrong with the original question tbh, don't see what all the fuss is about :dunno: I would also like to know why the B-52 didn't leave on Monday when didn't RIAT advertise it as leaving then?

Was only ever advertised as arriving during the arrival days. Nothing was ever mentioned about its departure

Steve p

Post by Steve p »

Maybe the crews booked an extra days holiday or something.

CJS

Post by CJS »

I'm pretty sure there was a tweet from DBH suggesting it would be leaving on the Monday. Or I've invented a memory?

Canon

Post by Canon »

CJS wrote:I'm pretty sure there was a tweet from DBH suggesting it would be leaving on the Monday. Or I've invented a memory?

I thought that too, and said tweet was definitely mentioned on this forum.
Canon 80D
Canon 600D
Sigma 150-600mm C
Canon 70-300mm L
Sigma 18-300mm C

jayne_morris

Post by jayne_morris »

when the B 52 came in the crew were on the radio reporting issues with the flaps, when the plane landed it was taken straight into static display, perhaps they had to wait untill the static park was cleared and the B52 could be moved to an area where the engineers could investigate the flap issue

AARDVARK

Post by AARDVARK »

It does strike me ,(and Iam sorry if this offends anyone)that people have become so spoilt,throwing their toys out of the pram just because a certain A/C doesn't arrive or depart on a day that's convenient for them!
Sure it was a disappointment that the bombers didn't leave on the Monday(or partake in the flying display) but that's life,still great to see them at RIAT in any capacity after such a long break.

RIAT Air Ops

Post by RIAT Air Ops »

CJS wrote:Can anyone explain if there is any reason other than ego/willy waving/general high and mightyness or whatever you want to call it, why the USAF always arrive early and leave late with certain of their airshow assets? The Thunderbirds, Lancer and Buff are three obvious examples this year but there's always something. There seemed no reason at all for the two heavy bombers to leave on Tuesday instead of Monday, so why?

Morning all. To be honest we don't question it with US military assets and there's invariably a valid operational reason or six behind it. There's usually a tanker/support aircraft consideration plus a wish for crews to get sufficient down time from a transatlantic flog so as to be able to get through the jet lag and then conduct any practice/rehearsal flying required and also to enjoy the show. Regarding departures of the B-1B and B-52H this year then with the aircraft located at the centre(ash) of the static display then there was never a chance of then being out early on Monday. The call was made to take their time and take a leisurely start to Tuesday and get out without the accompanying high levels of activity of other departures taking place around them.

No "ego/willy waving/general high and mightiness" at all to be had.

Cheers, Tom :cuppa:

CJS

Post by CJS »

As already said, a poor choice of wording perhaps. Thanks for the clarification Tom.