RIAT "Glamping"

Re: RIAT "Glamping"

Postby skidd40 on Tue 05 Sep 2017, 2:10 pm

A bargain compared to the 5 Grand for 3 nights in a air stream at Carfest
skidd40

Postby G for George on Sat 23 Sep 2017, 5:55 am

We stayed on the official RIAT campsite in our campervan and awning, and I agree, it's hard to find fault. No pitches set aside, just park up and pitch where you want, within reason. Showers were hot, entertainment quite good, and only a short walk to the entrance. Not very busy either. Prices for regular camping were very reasonable, HOWEVER, the options of pre-pitched tents and 'glamping' (I hate that word) were very expensive. Listed in the 'Boutique' section of the website was a pre-pitched 'Bedouin' tent, big enough to stand in and with beds inside, for the princely sum of £795. Sleeps two people though, so half that per person
G for George

Postby Roughcutter on Sun 29 Oct 2017, 6:10 pm

Well, I'm relieved to say I finally managed to get our accommodation sorted out at the RIAT site, not cheap admittedly but ya get what ya pay for, looks a great set up. :smile:
Here's the link if anyone's looking; http://www.airtattoo.com/airshow/visiti ... o-campsite :wink:
MarkL
Roughcutter

Postby Go4Long on Tue 31 Oct 2017, 1:06 pm

Last year I AirBNB'd a nice 3 bedroom house in Cirencester. Worked out to about 400 GBP per person for 3. Full kitchen, wifi, etc.
Go4Long

Postby alpha586 on Tue 31 Oct 2017, 1:43 pm

For the last 8 years or so I have used Bridge House campsite In Lechlade. At £8 a night per person for a standard pitch you are not gonna get a cheaper pitch anywhere! Proper toilet and shower block pubs and food just a 2 minute walk away and right next to the red route into the show. It's a no brainer!!
Lo que volará volará whatever will fly will fly!!
alpha586

Postby Brevet Cable on Tue 31 Oct 2017, 2:33 pm

I'm considering 'glamping' next year by buying a caravan.
That way, it won't be so bad when we have another 2008 :whistle: :lol:
Brevet.. Meh !!
Not an enthusiast or a spotter
trollpikken fforwm swyddogol
Brevet Cable

Postby Wrexham Mackem on Tue 31 Oct 2017, 2:46 pm

The official site looks good - does it stay open until Monday? both websites seem to suggest Sunday, but maybe that's just check-in.

I can see the attraction of a hotel, or house or whatever, and every year I think about it. Bottom line with Kempsford though (and now this new site) is that you just get up and walk in. And after a day on the show ground, you have an ice cold pint in your hand in no time, and absolutely no hassle with traffic. Its priceless not to have to commute to the base.

Kempsford seems to have rid itself of any rowdiness (and did so years ago), its the model of peace and quiet at night, at least on the bottom field where I hang out. Catering took a bit of a step back last year, but overall, and especially when you take into account you see the same bunch of friendly faces every year, its unbeatable.

As for camping itself, I've become a once-a-year camper these days. But like anything else, experience helps a lot. There's much less hassle packing your car and pitching and fitting out a tent when you've done it so many times you could do it with your eyes closed :smile:
its time to kick the tyres and light the fires

https://www.flickr.com/photos/151934326@N08/albums
Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Postby Wrexham Mackem on Tue 31 Oct 2017, 2:51 pm

Brevet Cable wrote:I'm considering 'glamping' next year by buying a caravan.

That also crosses my mind regularly. Not sure what I'd do with it for the rest of the year, maybe the odd weekend away.. so it seems rather expensive for my circumstances. Fancy one though. It would be good. :grin:
its time to kick the tyres and light the fires

https://www.flickr.com/photos/151934326@N08/albums
Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Postby Domvickery on Wed 01 Nov 2017, 7:13 pm

Wrexham Mackem wrote:The official site looks good - does it stay open until Monday? both websites seem to suggest Sunday, but maybe that's just check-in.

I can see the attraction of a hotel, or house or whatever, and every year I think about it. Bottom line with Kempsford though (and now this new site) is that you just get up and walk in. And after a day on the show ground, you have an ice cold pint in your hand in no time, and absolutely no hassle with traffic. Its priceless not to have to commute to the base.

Kempsford seems to have rid itself of any rowdiness (and did so years ago), its the model of peace and quiet at night, at least on the bottom field where I hang out. Catering took a bit of a step back last year, but overall, and especially when you take into account you see the same bunch of friendly faces every year, its unbeatable.

As for camping itself, I've become a once-a-year camper these days. But like anything else, experience helps a lot. There's much less hassle packing your car and pitching and fitting out a tent when you've done it so many times you could do it with your eyes closed :smile:

I 'checked out' on Monday last year
Inventor of the baguette scale
Domvickery
UKAR Staff

Postby davidjones533 on Fri 10 Nov 2017, 11:52 am

My usual hotel has skyrocketed in price this year, so I’m thinking about using the official site and glamping. The main selling point is the short walk in the mornings and, for the first time, the possibility of having a beer during the day (although that will not help my already abysmal photography). Were the quantity / quality of toilets ok? I’ve had some pretty horrid experiences at festivals before.
davidjones533

Postby G for George on Sun 19 Nov 2017, 9:26 pm

davidjones533 wrote:My usual hotel has skyrocketed in price this year, so I’m thinking about using the official site and glamping. The main selling point is the short walk in the mornings and, for the first time, the possibility of having a beer during the day (although that will not help my already abysmal photography). Were the quantity / quality of toilets ok? I’ve had some pretty horrid experiences at festivals before.

As a veteran of many Donington rock festivals, I can assure you that the toilets on the RIAT campsite were, by comparison, excellent. Always clean, stocked with loo roll, hot water.
I can't fault the campsite.
G for George

Postby davidjones533 on Mon 20 Nov 2017, 12:31 pm

Thanks - good to know. I've found a good hotel deal in Burford so gone for that, but will consider camping again in 2019.
davidjones533

Previous

Return to Royal International Air Tattoo