RIAT "Glamping"

Re: RIAT "Glamping"

Postby skidd40 on Tue 05 Sep 2017, 2:10 pm

A bargain compared to the 5 Grand for 3 nights in a air stream at Carfest
User avatar
skidd40

Re: RIAT "Glamping"

Postby G for George on Sat 23 Sep 2017, 5:55 am

We stayed on the official RIAT campsite in our campervan and awning, and I agree, it's hard to find fault. No pitches set aside, just park up and pitch where you want, within reason. Showers were hot, entertainment quite good, and only a short walk to the entrance. Not very busy either. Prices for regular camping were very reasonable, HOWEVER, the options of pre-pitched tents and 'glamping' (I hate that word) were very expensive. Listed in the 'Boutique' section of the website was a pre-pitched 'Bedouin' tent, big enough to stand in and with beds inside, for the princely sum of £795. Sleeps two people though, so half that per person
G for George

Re: RIAT "Glamping"

Postby Roughcutter on Sun 29 Oct 2017, 6:10 pm

Well, I'm relieved to say I finally managed to get our accommodation sorted out at the RIAT site, not cheap admittedly but ya get what ya pay for, looks a great set up. :smile:
Here's the link if anyone's looking; http://www.airtattoo.com/airshow/visiti ... o-campsite :wink:
MarkL
a woman phoned the BBC to say that "a hurricane is on the way" Well if you're listening, don't worry it isn't.
User avatar
Roughcutter

Re: RIAT "Glamping"

Postby Go4Long on Tue 31 Oct 2017, 1:06 pm

Last year I AirBNB'd a nice 3 bedroom house in Cirencester. Worked out to about 400 GBP per person for 3. Full kitchen, wifi, etc.
User avatar
Go4Long

Re: RIAT "Glamping"

Postby alpha586 on Tue 31 Oct 2017, 1:43 pm

For the last 8 years or so I have used Bridge House campsite In Lechlade. At £8 a night per person for a standard pitch you are not gonna get a cheaper pitch anywhere! Proper toilet and shower block pubs and food just a 2 minute walk away and right next to the red route into the show. It's a no brainer!!
Lo que volará volará whatever will fly will fly!!
User avatar
alpha586

Re: RIAT "Glamping"

Postby Brevet Cable on Tue 31 Oct 2017, 2:33 pm

I'm considering 'glamping' next year by buying a caravan.
That way, it won't be so bad when we have another 2008 :whistle: :lol:
Brevet.. Meh !!
Not an enthusiast or a spotter
trollpikken fforwm swyddogol
User avatar
Brevet Cable

Re: RIAT "Glamping"

Postby Wrexham Mackem on Tue 31 Oct 2017, 2:46 pm

The official site looks good - does it stay open until Monday? both websites seem to suggest Sunday, but maybe that's just check-in.

I can see the attraction of a hotel, or house or whatever, and every year I think about it. Bottom line with Kempsford though (and now this new site) is that you just get up and walk in. And after a day on the show ground, you have an ice cold pint in your hand in no time, and absolutely no hassle with traffic. Its priceless not to have to commute to the base.

Kempsford seems to have rid itself of any rowdiness (and did so years ago), its the model of peace and quiet at night, at least on the bottom field where I hang out. Catering took a bit of a step back last year, but overall, and especially when you take into account you see the same bunch of friendly faces every year, its unbeatable.

As for camping itself, I've become a once-a-year camper these days. But like anything else, experience helps a lot. There's much less hassle packing your car and pitching and fitting out a tent when you've done it so many times you could do it with your eyes closed :smile:
its time to kick the tyres and light the fires

https://www.flickr.com/photos/151934326@N08/albums
User avatar
Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Re: RIAT "Glamping"

Postby Wrexham Mackem on Tue 31 Oct 2017, 2:51 pm

Brevet Cable wrote:I'm considering 'glamping' next year by buying a caravan.


That also crosses my mind regularly. Not sure what I'd do with it for the rest of the year, maybe the odd weekend away.. so it seems rather expensive for my circumstances. Fancy one though. It would be good. :grin:
its time to kick the tyres and light the fires

https://www.flickr.com/photos/151934326@N08/albums
User avatar
Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Re: RIAT "Glamping"

Postby Domvickery on Wed 01 Nov 2017, 7:13 pm

Wrexham Mackem wrote:The official site looks good - does it stay open until Monday? both websites seem to suggest Sunday, but maybe that's just check-in.

I can see the attraction of a hotel, or house or whatever, and every year I think about it. Bottom line with Kempsford though (and now this new site) is that you just get up and walk in. And after a day on the show ground, you have an ice cold pint in your hand in no time, and absolutely no hassle with traffic. Its priceless not to have to commute to the base.

Kempsford seems to have rid itself of any rowdiness (and did so years ago), its the model of peace and quiet at night, at least on the bottom field where I hang out. Catering took a bit of a step back last year, but overall, and especially when you take into account you see the same bunch of friendly faces every year, its unbeatable.

As for camping itself, I've become a once-a-year camper these days. But like anything else, experience helps a lot. There's much less hassle packing your car and pitching and fitting out a tent when you've done it so many times you could do it with your eyes closed :smile:


I 'checked out' on Monday last year
Inventor of the baguette scale
Domvickery
UKAR Staff

Re: RIAT "Glamping"

Postby davidjones533 on Fri 10 Nov 2017, 11:52 am

My usual hotel has skyrocketed in price this year, so I’m thinking about using the official site and glamping. The main selling point is the short walk in the mornings and, for the first time, the possibility of having a beer during the day (although that will not help my already abysmal photography). Were the quantity / quality of toilets ok? I’ve had some pretty horrid experiences at festivals before.
User avatar
davidjones533

Re: RIAT "Glamping"

Postby G for George on Sun 19 Nov 2017, 9:26 pm

davidjones533 wrote:My usual hotel has skyrocketed in price this year, so I’m thinking about using the official site and glamping. The main selling point is the short walk in the mornings and, for the first time, the possibility of having a beer during the day (although that will not help my already abysmal photography). Were the quantity / quality of toilets ok? I’ve had some pretty horrid experiences at festivals before.

As a veteran of many Donington rock festivals, I can assure you that the toilets on the RIAT campsite were, by comparison, excellent. Always clean, stocked with loo roll, hot water.
I can't fault the campsite.
G for George

Re: RIAT "Glamping"

Postby davidjones533 on Mon 20 Nov 2017, 12:31 pm

Thanks - good to know. I've found a good hotel deal in Burford so gone for that, but will consider camping again in 2019.
User avatar
davidjones533

Re: RIAT "Glamping"

Postby mavvymoo on Wed 27 Dec 2017, 4:01 pm

Roughcutter wrote:Well, I'm relieved to say I finally managed to get our accommodation sorted out at the RIAT site, not cheap admittedly but ya get what ya pay for, looks a great set up. :smile:
Here's the link if anyone's looking; http://www.airtattoo.com/airshow/visiti ... o-campsite :wink:
MarkL

I've booked for this too although we will be in our own tent. Tangerine Fields provided the same service at Bluedot Festival last summer and whilst it was well organised it was slightly pricey for a small tent that had been put up incorrectly which meant that the inner tent couldn't be closed - luckily it wasn't too cold although it was pretty wet! One other thing of note, they are pitched very close together so not only will you not have much (any?) room for cooking but you can hear everything (yes I mean everything!) that goes on in any of the tents next to you! :oops:
User avatar
mavvymoo

Re: RIAT "Glamping"

Postby Roughcutter on Thu 04 Jan 2018, 3:55 pm

right then I'll make a point of turning the flatulence volume up then! :butt: :lol:
a woman phoned the BBC to say that "a hurricane is on the way" Well if you're listening, don't worry it isn't.
User avatar
Roughcutter

Re: RIAT "Glamping"

Postby Domvickery on Fri 26 Jan 2018, 7:42 pm

I’ve booked in from Tuesday-Monday on a self pitch, a question for RIAT though; can you let people camping here in through the red gate, walking down to yellow entry gate & having to walk 50% of that walk back to join a massive queue was a bit long winded when there’s a gate literally opposite the campsite for red entry.
Inventor of the baguette scale
Domvickery
UKAR Staff

Re: RIAT "Glamping"

Postby speedbird2639 on Fri 26 Jan 2018, 9:04 pm

I'm guessing the use the Yellow gate in an attempt to give some degree of separation between the pedestrians and the traffic going on to the base from the Red entry.

If they used the Red entry the queue would probably be down to the Yellow entry so you'd still have to walk to find the end of the queue.
User avatar
speedbird2639

Re: RIAT "Glamping"

Postby Roughcutter on Sat 27 Jan 2018, 3:30 pm

Daft question; were there electrical points or battery charging facilities at the campsite last year?
a woman phoned the BBC to say that "a hurricane is on the way" Well if you're listening, don't worry it isn't.
User avatar
Roughcutter

Re: RIAT "Glamping"

Postby G for George on Sun 28 Jan 2018, 7:45 am

I don't remember there being electric hook-ups, not sure about charging points. We've got a leisure battery and a small solar panel for our van.
G for George

Re: RIAT "Glamping"

Postby Domvickery on Mon 29 Jan 2018, 7:12 pm

speedbird2639 wrote:I'm guessing the use the Yellow gate in an attempt to give some degree of separation between the pedestrians and the traffic going on to the base from the Red entry.

If they used the Red entry the queue would probably be down to the Yellow entry so you'd still have to walk to find the end of the queue.


I'm fairly sure there's a few small gates near the red entrance that could be used


Roughcutter wrote:Daft question; were there electrical points or battery charging facilities at the campsite last year?


There was a large ish tent that had full electricity loads of charging points & mirrors for hair drying/straightening
Inventor of the baguette scale
Domvickery
UKAR Staff

Re: RIAT "Glamping"

Postby Roughcutter on Tue 30 Jan 2018, 8:01 pm

Roughcutter wrote:Daft question; were there electrical points or battery charging facilities at the campsite last year?


There was a large ish tent that had full electricity loads of charging points & mirrors for hair drying/straightening[/quote]


Cheers, I'll take a few extra batteries just in case.
a woman phoned the BBC to say that "a hurricane is on the way" Well if you're listening, don't worry it isn't.
User avatar
Roughcutter

Re: RIAT "Glamping"

Postby Domvickery on Tue 30 Jan 2018, 8:25 pm

A top tip, buy one of these 12v invertors, I use this & it powers my laptop, phone charger, camera batteries & mini fridge with no problems

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BESTEK-Inverter-Transformer-Charger-Lighter-Red/dp/B00INW611Y
Inventor of the baguette scale
Domvickery
UKAR Staff

Re: RIAT "Glamping"

Postby Brevet Cable on Tue 30 Jan 2018, 9:37 pm

Doesn't that campsite still have a policy of not allowing you to park your car anywhere near your tent? ( The website still says this )
Brevet.. Meh !!
Not an enthusiast or a spotter
trollpikken fforwm swyddogol
User avatar
Brevet Cable

Re: RIAT "Glamping"

Postby Tommy on Tue 30 Jan 2018, 10:56 pm

I stand to be corrected, but when I picked Dom up last summer on one of the days (cos I'm just such a lovely kind soul like that!) there was zero trouble with his car parked next to his tent, and likewise, if memory serves, most other cars were by tents.

But I cant remember if that was when the public days were in full swing or not, so I'm probably not best placed to say. Dom will come along and tell everyone I'm full of proverbial, I'm sure.
User avatar
Tommy
UKAR Staff

Re: RIAT "Glamping"

Postby Brevet Cable on Wed 31 Jan 2018, 3:46 am

From the website :
Tangerine Fields have our own car park in the front section of our campsite. You need to purchase one of our car park passes from the Accessories section. Cars are not permitted to park next to tents.

Although from Dom's post last year :
the rule of not parking your car next to your tent is a silly one and needs to be done away with (most ignored it anyway)


Seems a bit of a pointless rule, then :lol:
Brevet.. Meh !!
Not an enthusiast or a spotter
trollpikken fforwm swyddogol
User avatar
Brevet Cable

Re: RIAT "Glamping"

Postby Domvickery on Wed 31 Jan 2018, 7:33 am

My car was parked next to my tent for the duration of my stay, a few reasons for this I wasnt willing to leave it with my camera gear, laptop, charging facilities & a weeks worth of clothes & gubbins parked over 500m away where I cant see it, its easier having everything closer (toiletries etc) and after the show days I’ll sit next to my tent use the car as a power supply transfer all my photos to my laptop.

It also makes for a great windbreak! I’m sorry to say I’ll be doing exactly the same agsin this year.

Thanks for the lifts too Tommy, top bloke!
Inventor of the baguette scale
Domvickery
UKAR Staff

PreviousNext

Return to Royal International Air Tattoo

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests