RIAT "Glamping"

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
mavvymoo

Re: RIAT "Glamping"

Post by mavvymoo »

I don't know if anyone else on here used the Tangerine Fields option (the bit just to the south of the end of 27) but it was amazing!

Five minutes walk to the red entrance, with showers and toilets (and hairdryers for those with hair???) all part of the price, and a reasonably priced evening bar and burger stand - not to forget a quiz night on Thursday with a bar tab as the prize!

I'm trying to find a downside to it, but there wasn't one as even the task of parking away from the site (in reality no more than a couple of hundred yards at worst) wasn't too bad and if you were lucky there were a few wheelbarrows provided for moving kit. Next year I think I'll treat us to an extra night stopover.
Famed for appearing to put my foot in it, read my post with the voice of Stewie Griffin if it offended you first time

Domvickery
UKAR Staff

Post by Domvickery »

I stayed there & just the 2 bug bears of mine: the not having your car next to your tent rule seriously needs looking at, to download my pics & charge my batteries I had to sit in the car park with cars coming & going around me. Every other campsite manages it fine so why not this one.

The shower blocks were poor, of the 2 one had zero pressure & was like standing under a leaky tap, the second block had no hot water yesterday & today, yesterday wasnt so bad as it was so hot it was quite refreshing but this morning at 6am it was horrible, whats more the staff had seemingly disappeared by Sunday afternoon, they’d left a sign describing the site layout & told people to pitch where they want

Other than that was a good site, good entertainment, the dj takimg request all night till 11 tickled me, I didnt try the food though, I find it easier to drive into Fairford village & pick something up from there
Free straws available to clutch at - PM me. Inventor of the baguette scale

Big Eric

Post by Big Eric »

I've never known a campsite where you can't park your vehicle next to your tent, what an absolute pain that must be. What's the reason for this, does anyone know?

Domvickery
UKAR Staff

Post by Domvickery »

Not too sure, they’ll probably play the health & safety card

The set up probably works at a music festival but RIAT probably not

Big Eric

Post by Big Eric »

Domvickery wrote:Not too sure, they’ll probably play the health & safety card

The set up probably works at a music festival but RIAT probably not

I think someone should have a word with them, that is awful.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Their campsite, their rules, which are known about in advance.
After all, I don't see people complaining about Kempsford's '2m from the fenceline' rule.
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

Fat Albert

Post by Fat Albert »

I enquired about the cars being parked away from the tents just after bookings became live.They confirmed that was the case. I lost interest in their facility's there and then as having my car next to our outfit is essential.
If they ever did relax that rule it could become a viable alternative to Kempsford and other sites in the area.

mavvymoo

Post by mavvymoo »

Domvickery wrote:I stayed there & just the 2 bug bears of mine: the not having your car next to your tent rule seriously needs looking at, to download my pics & charge my batteries I had to sit in the car park with cars coming & going around me. Every other campsite manages it fine so why not this one.

The shower blocks were poor, of the 2 one had zero pressure & was like standing under a leaky tap, the second block had no hot water yesterday & today, yesterday wasnt so bad as it was so hot it was quite refreshing but this morning at 6am it was horrible, whats more the staff had seemingly disappeared by Sunday afternoon, they’d left a sign describing the site layout & told people to pitch where they want

Other than that was a good site, good entertainment, the dj takimg request all night till 11 tickled me, I didnt try the food though, I find it easier to drive into Fairford village & pick something up from there

Just to add some context to my opinion about Tangerine Fields and parking. I go to Blue Dot on Thursday, where again the campsite is managed by TF and the car can be a twenty five minute walk from the tent (ours won't be as we're arriving early doors but it will still be a good ten minutes walk each way), so comparatively speaking the distance at Fairford was minimal. The battery recharging is a good point but I believe they provided a (paid for) recharging service although we took our own recharging units and they sufficed to power our three phones for the weekend.

The showers were bloody freezing for a few minutes on Saturday morning but to be fair that was at 0530 so I might have been the first person in there :biggrin:

The DJ was hilarious - especially if you were there for the quiz on Thursday :lol:
Famed for appearing to put my foot in it, read my post with the voice of Stewie Griffin if it offended you first time

G for George

Post by G for George »

This was the second time I've used the official campsite. I've got to say the communication from Tangerine Fields has always been excellent. The lady I spoke to on the phone explained that due to them using some of the site for RIAT parking, they had slightly less room than last year, and the layout was different, with the showers and bar on the opposite side of the field. Was annoyed with myself as in the past we took our campervan, but this year left it too late and places in the campervan section had sold out, so I had to use a tent. There were a few cars next to tents down the far end, not many, but enough to make me wonder how they'd managed it. I had to make two trips back to the car when I arrived/left. Facilities were adequate again, seemed just the right amount of showers/toilets, but maybe I got lucky with the times I used them. The ale at the bar was spot on, and there was a really nice atmosphere in the evenings. Will book up early next year, definitely going to use this site again.

Red-Eye-Knight

Post by Red-Eye-Knight »

Big Eric wrote:I've never known a campsite where you can't park your vehicle next to your tent, what an absolute pain that must be. What's the reason for this, does anyone know?

The reason there was no cars allowed beside tents is because in 2017 some idiot on the Saturday night got into an arguement with someone then they went driving round the whole campsite whilst they were drunk, They were lucky that nobody was seriously hurt or killed so that is the reason why no cars were allowed beside tents...As always someone spoils it for the rest.

Big Eric

Post by Big Eric »

Red-Eye-Knight wrote:
Big Eric wrote:I've never known a campsite where you can't park your vehicle next to your tent, what an absolute pain that must be. What's the reason for this, does anyone know?

The reason there was no cars allowed beside tents is because in 2017 some idiot on the Saturday night got into an argument with someone then they went driving round the whole campsite whilst they were drunk, They were lucky that nobody was seriously hurt or killed so that is the reason why no cars were allowed beside tents...As always someone spoils it for the rest.

So just ban the whole group that were involved, no need for such measures. :mad:

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

No guarantee someone won't do something similar again, though.
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

Domvickery
UKAR Staff

Post by Domvickery »

Red-Eye-Knight wrote:

The reason there was no cars allowed beside tents is because in 2017 some idiot on the Saturday night got into an arguement with someone then they went driving round the whole campsite whilst they were drunk, They were lucky that nobody was seriously hurt or killed so that is the reason why no cars were allowed beside tents...As always someone spoils it for the rest.

Ever since there’s been an official campsite (last 3 years) there has been a no car by tents rule

Red-Eye-Knight

Post by Red-Eye-Knight »

Domvickery wrote:
Red-Eye-Knight wrote:

Ever since there’s been an official campsite (last 3 years) there has been a no car by tents rule

You are correct but in 2017 this was not the case as everyone just took their cars beside their tents and then that incident happened on the Saturday night...To be honest i stayed there in 2017 and Townsend Farm 2018 and i much prefered Townsend apart from the walk to and from the base each day thats the only good thing i would say about offical campsite is its right beside the base.