FRIAT Forum

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
Brevet Cable

Re: FRIAT Forum

Post by Brevet Cable »

[*]Fun fact I didn't know - RIAT are not allowed to mow the grass on the airfield. It's kept at a particular length (it's quite long IIRC) as a deterrent to birds.

The grass length is mentioned on the RIAT website, quoted as being "At least 7 inches"

[*]Re. the 10m exclusion zone for tents/windbreaks/ladders etc - a question was asked on whether they could be more stringently enforced, and an idea proposed to re-introduce a white line to delineate the 10m exclusion zone. DBH have taken it aboard to see whether it can be done. Andy recognised that it used to be done, and might just be something that was forgotten. In principle, and the reaction from those at DBH, it seemed like an easy enough idea to implement.

Possible solution, put the tannoy speakers on the 10m line as a more visible deliniation marker ?
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

verreli

Post by verreli »

Tommy wrote: ...

Excellent debrief. Thank you.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

The question of tannoys moving back from the fenceline from a photography point of view was raised on behalf of non-FIRATers (as was the 10m exclusion zone). I'm sketchy on the details, but in essence, the overriding thought is that for every 1 photographer, there are many more people who are not photographers, and want to properly hear what's going on. So it seemed to me that DBH considered it too much of a logistical effort to move them for photography purposes.

Moving them to delineate the 10m line could work, I suppose. I don't know how sensitive they are to tampering, and people leaning on them, or hanging stuff on them, or whatever. But at any rate, that was not what was asked. The issue wasn't really pushed. The speakers in FRIAT are located on the back of the grandstand. Thus, (not wishing to sound snobby, just stating what it is) as everyone there was a FRIATer, whilst concerns of regular airshow-goers are recognised, obviously opportunities were taken to consider them (the questions were asked, after all), but perhaps regular airshow goers who like photography would have pushed the issue more than was done yesterday.

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Thanks for the write up, some interesting points raised. Did they mention how ticket sales are vs how they were last year at this point?
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

Tommy wrote:The question of tannoys moving back from the fenceline from a photography point of view was raised on behalf of non-FIRATers (as was the 10m exclusion zone). I'm sketchy on the details, but in essence, the overriding thought is that for every 1 photographer, there are many more people who are not photographers, and want to properly hear what's going on. So it seemed to me that DBH considered it too much of a logistical effort to move them for photography purposes.

I know it's not applicable for the FRIAT area. But I've always wondered why they have them above ground on long poles - a more considered option should surely be the smaller ground level boxes that have been used at Duxford previously and provide just as good sound quality, if not better.

It's not a massive deal, but something to think about it.

Topher500

Post by Topher500 »

Hi All,

My 1st post on this forum. I have been wishing to go to the Air Tattoo for years and pleased to say I have a Mach 2 for this year. My wife and I are driving down and staying in Lechlade. We are not photographers though. I just love military aircraft. Do you think not being a photographer will be an issue on the FRIAT Enclosure? I assume there are rules regarding standing etc?

Thanks
Chris

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Other than laughing at the spectacle of the landscape of lenses and cacophony of clicking as a particular machine flies past, you'll have a great time.

Unless on the top row of the large part of the grandstand (not the extended part), there is no standing, and getting up to go for a wander is fine, but be sensible. Wait until a display has finished or there's a lull or whatever. Once you're there, it's pretty obvious. You'll get it pretty quickly.

Enjoy it!

Stick your name on the seating plan if you want and you can see which fellow UKARians (if any) are around to say hello to.

Topher500

Post by Topher500 »

Thanks Tommy,

I have not received my pack, but as soon as I do I will update. Very excited now.

Chris

Airwolfhound

Post by Airwolfhound »

Be aware of grandstand etiquette though. A few years ago I had the displeasure of some newbies next to me. Whilst their behaviour at times was shocking (one idiot thought it would be a good idea to vape next to me (I soon put a stop to that)), another one managed to smack my wife in her face with their rucksack as they were walking past her. Damned lucky I didn't punch him, these guys know who they are as they are members of UKAR and hopefully have learned some manners now.

Anyway, we are mostly a friendly bunch if we are all treated with respect, and are aware of our surroundings and the rules that go with the FRIAT grandstand (which you should see printed in your welcome pack when you receive it).

Not long to go now, can't wait :-)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24874528@N04/

Agile, mobile and hostile ;-)

Topher500

Post by Topher500 »

Don’t worry Airwolfhound. I am very well behaved. I too dislike all smoking and poor manners. We were all newbies once. :-)

I’ll be sure to say hello if we are seated close.

convair

Post by convair »

After 20 IAT/RIATs finally doing FRIAT this year - its only MACH 1 but you dont want to rush these things...

harkins

Post by harkins »

Having seen quite a few posts on here and on various social media platforms saying "this is my first year in FRIAT" and with the tales of a few regulars having missed out with the incredibly fast sell out, I was wondering if there is a particularly large number of first timers this year whether there's a greater risk of seeing some of the poor behaviour we increasingly see and hear about at fences in recent times. Some of the parking, littering, sticking ladders against fences and farmers field abuse makes me wonder if we might see a bit more selfish behaviour in the stand than usual. I'm in no way suggesting that everyone who hasn't been before is going to be a nuisance, or that some regulars aren't prone to poor etiquette.

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

I can't imagine there's much chance of bad behaviour being tolerated in the stand...

"SIT DOWN!!!"

Topher500

Post by Topher500 »

I am starting to feel a little unwelcome. I think one of the many attractive elements of FRIAT is visibility and the opportunity to see these amazing aircraft. I would argue that people spending this money would likely be more well behaved than not. I am sorry that there are many regular FRIAT members that did not get this time however I only applied like everyone else. I am looking forward to it and please say hello if you are sitting close by.

harkins

Post by harkins »

Honestly not trying to make anyone feel unwelcome and there's nothing wrong in having bought a ticket and nobody has a right to one just because they've been before. Everyone should have known that this year in particular would not be a good year to sit around looking at updates before committing.

You'll love it as it really is the best way to watch the show in my opinion. A great vantage point (whatever seat you have) and in my experience very friendly people. I've only ever seen the very odd examples of someone crashing down a row mid-display or other minor but careless behaviour. Nothing to spoil the week for sure. I was just basing my pondering on what I perceive to be an increasing amount of bad behaviour at base fences during exercises and deployments in the last couple of years. Even I've witnessed a fair bit of that and I'm a pretty infrequent visitor to bases due to my job and where I live.

Big Eric

Post by Big Eric »

I don't understand why this thread is still ongoing, the last few posts have had nothing to do with the FRIAT forum on the 13th of April!

harkins

Post by harkins »

Seemed as good a place to talk about FRIAT without starting a whole new thread for about 4 or 5 posts. If it'd gone in the main RIAT thread someone would probably take the time to complain about it in there too.

Topher500

Post by Topher500 »

Ok. I’ll admit. I have no idea how these forums work. I thought it looked the best place to post. Sorry folks.

Big Eric

Post by Big Eric »

harkins wrote:Seemed as good a place to talk about FRIAT without starting a whole new thread for about 4 or 5 posts. If it'd gone in the main RIAT thread someone would probably take the time to complain about it in there too.

I'm not complaining, I've done FRIAT and FIAT (remember those days?) many times, I'm just saying that this should have it's own thread as there's probably quite a few members that are having their first FRIAT experience, that is all! :smile:

harkins

Post by harkins »

Fair enough Eric.

Roughcutter

Post by Roughcutter »

Daft question (or maybe not so daft), what's the leg room like in the FRIAT stand, just so I know what (or what not) to bring with me?

Tom105

Post by Tom105 »

Im 6ft 4 and last year I had no problems with leg room. I had my camera bag and cool bag with me under my seat.
Thomas

alans895

Post by alans895 »

My FRIAT package just arrived in Australia.

I attended my first RIAT in 2016 with a Mach 3 ticket. I thought there was more in the envelope in 2016, and maybe a car pass/sticker.

Can someone tell me if there should be a car pass/sticker in the package?

Regards,

Alan

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Hasn’t been a car pass since about 2013 IIRC?

alans895

Post by alans895 »

Thanks Andy. I must have got it confused with my Yeovilton 2016 package.

Regards,

Alan