Totterdown Departures

Totterdown Departures

Postby 2e1var on Sun 03 Jun 2018, 7:06 am

Hi

We're doing Totterdown for the first time this year from Friday through Monday. Spending Saturday on the site and Sunday in the show. I'm not sure what to do for Monday departures though, I do like to take a few pics but if P&V is the step ladder fest I read about I really can't be bothered. Is Totterdown a reasonable place to sit back and watch departures from ? I'd rather have a relaxing day watching than a day being clunked on the head by big lenses for the sake of a few pics.

Rich
UBC-15X, MVT-7100, MVT-8000, FTdX3000, FTM-100, IC-7300, IC-7100, ID-31E, FT-2DE
Sony a58, Tamron SP 70-300
2e1var

Re: Totterdown Departures

Postby Paul_Reflex on Sun 03 Jun 2018, 7:32 am

You won't see much on Monday from Totterdown. If you want a nice relaxing day then I'd go down to P&V West.
Paul_Reflex

Postby TYPHOON3 on Sun 03 Jun 2018, 7:32 am

I've been a Totterdown regular for many years now and to be honest it's great to watch the displays from but too far back from the airfield for arrivals and departures.You are better off in the P and V for a birds eye view.I do Tuesday to Sunday with Saturday in the show.I am thinking of walking or cycling down to the runway Tuesday and Wednesday to photograph the arrivals this year.
TYPHOON3

Postby jayne_morris on Sun 03 Jun 2018, 8:00 pm

depends what you want to do or see, if you just want to view departures then totterdown in not to bad a spot, if you want good pictures then it is not the place

the Friat grandstand is the perfect place to be on departures day and from the front of the motor home field you have a reasonable if somewhat distant view of the FRIAT grandstand so you will see the departing aircraft shortly after it is airborne, the trees below the campsite towards the base perimeter fence do get a little taller every year and for some this is an issue, if you want to sit in a chair with a radio tuned to ATC so you know what is due to depart and watch them leave then the campsite is not a bad spot

if you want photos of departures then i would look at other options
jayne_morris

Postby Seahornet on Mon 04 Jun 2018, 8:11 pm

Different strokes of course, but I find the best place on the Monday is P&V west - but right at the back of the enclosure. The ground rises slightly, giving a good view over the heads of those at the front - even those on ladders... :smile:
And as the smart ship grew,
In stature, grace and hue,
In shadowy silent distance grew the iceberg too....
Seahornet

Return to Royal International Air Tattoo