Aviation Club on the Friday

Aviation Club on the Friday

Postby Bomber Command on Thu 14 Jun 2018, 3:10 pm

Afternoon all.

This year is my first visit to RIAT, and more than likely my only visit anytime soon. Eager not to get caught in the hustle and bustle and packed crowd lines we paid a bit more for something called the aviation club.

We both have DSLR's and a good lens so wanted our own enclosure etc. Anyway the aviation club fitted the bill.

However, having seen the lay out and the apparent 'dress code' its thrown me a bit.

I'm here solely to enjoy myself and take thousands of pictures, I'm now worried I'm in the wrong area and mingling with the wrong type of people.

Has anyone used this before? Am i just worrying over nothing? Any help or advice at all would be great.

Many thanks all.
Bomber Command

Re: Aviation Club on the Friday

Postby Bomber Command on Fri 15 Jun 2018, 7:07 am

Can anyone help? Or have i stumbled into the wrong place? Thanks all.
Bomber Command

Postby alpha586 on Fri 15 Jun 2018, 7:53 am

Hi I've never used the aviation club before but you should have a good time regardless of which ever enclosure you choose. I'm guessing the dress code is more to do with promoting an image and keeping the great unwashed away. You should have plenty of space at the front due to most people in these enclosures wanting to network and chat rather than take photos. There may well be others in the enclosure that like you just want to take in the show without the hustle and bustle of the general admission crowdline.
Hope this helps sorry can't be more helpful
Lo que volará volará whatever will fly will fly!!
alpha586

Postby BMrider on Fri 15 Jun 2018, 7:56 am

"No scruffy/torn jeans or sportswear are permitted within the Aviation Club." self explanatory really, I have been in the Cotswold Club and the Pimm's club in the past, just dress normally taking into account the requirements stated, I have been in jeans, t shirts etc, ... have a good time, :smile:
BMrider

Postby alpha586 on Fri 15 Jun 2018, 8:01 am

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=79977

Hopefully a little bit more info
Last edited by alpha586 on Fri 15 Jun 2018, 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alpha586

Postby Brevet Cable on Fri 15 Jun 2018, 11:37 am

Think you may have linked to the wrong topic.....that's a 2009 topic about a Hip at Salisbury Plain.

OP....presume you've watched the series of images at the top of the page on the RIAT website : https://www.airtattoo.com/airshow/visiting/airshow-tickets/aviation-club
Not really that much of a dress code, if those are anything to go by.
Brevet.. Meh !!
Not an enthusiast or a spotter
trollpikken fforwm swyddogol
Brevet Cable

Postby Chrisse on Fri 15 Jun 2018, 11:53 am

Never did this option at RIAT, but I reckon if you mind what you use as footwear and dress as if for for a decent evening out, you'll be fine. It doesn't look like it's suit and tie unlike another show I did... No doubt it'll be a comfortable experience. Enjoy!
Chrisse

Postby Brevet Cable on Fri 15 Jun 2018, 12:44 pm

Just did a quick forum search for 'Aviation Club'.
There are a couple of posters who say they use it...one hasn't been on here since last August, but the other ( Blackbird ) has been on the forum today - possibly worth PMing him?
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby alpha586 on Fri 15 Jun 2018, 3:04 pm

Oops sorry don't know how that happened!! :surrender:
Link hopefully fixed now cheers brevet!
alpha586

Postby Brevet Cable on Fri 15 Jun 2018, 3:52 pm

:up:
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby Bomber Command on Fri 15 Jun 2018, 4:16 pm

Thanks all. It doesn't sound to good for me then. I'm common folk haha, if the weather is nice then i plan on wearing a pair of shorts, trainers, and some aviation related t shirt to show how much of a loser i am haha.

Guess i won't be let in to the enclosure then....

Could be my first and last RIAT.
Bomber Command

Postby Wrexham Mackem on Fri 15 Jun 2018, 4:19 pm

The viewing village garden area would fit your bill much better I think, but I'm sure you'll feel very pampered in the Aviation Club. You will have to be a bit flexible and comply with the dress code, but its got to be worth the effort, no?
its time to kick the tyres and light the fires

https://www.flickr.com/photos/151934326@N08/albums
Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Postby Bomber Command on Sat 16 Jun 2018, 9:06 am

Wrexham Mackem wrote:The viewing village garden area would fit your bill much better I think, but I'm sure you'll feel very pampered in the Aviation Club. You will have to be a bit flexible and comply with the dress code, but its got to be worth the effort, no?

I understand what you are saying, but to be honest "pampered" isn't really what I'm after. Its my first venture to RIAT, i just want to bring my camera and lens and jave a cracking day at the same time whilst feeling comfortable.
Bomber Command

Return to Royal International Air Tattoo