Trump alert

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
Wes_Howes

Re: Trump alert

Post by Wes_Howes »

Would be pretty hard to ignore the effects of his presence, the extra security, the crowds/media following him around, etc.

IF he does turn up, I shall photograph any presidential aircraft that turn up as I won't get many chances to see them and try my best to not get annoyed with the extra security... oh and be careful what I say on the phone :ninja:

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Would the flying display go ahead, though.....if the NATO Summit is anything to go by, every agency and their dogs had UAVs up over Cardiff when POTUS was there, not to mention the number of Police & Military helicopters orbiting the area :lol:
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

verreli

Post by verreli »

Paul_Reflex wrote:You can all mock me all you want, but I hope that deep down there are some things which you care about too which influence your behaviour, even if your behaviour alone doesn't make any difference in the grand scheme of things.

We're lucky to live in a country that allows freedom of choice. If you feel better for taking a stance, go for it. Presonally, I'm quite intrigued to witness the circus if he does end up attending.

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

i don't like the bloke. but as long as his presence doesn't impact the show or my enjoyment of it i'm not bothered.

i don't think a few of us giving up our tickets on principle is really going to make much of a difference.

CJS

Post by CJS »

rockfordstone wrote:i don't like the bloke. but as long as his presence doesn't impact the show or my enjoyment of it i'm not bothered.

i don't think a few of us giving up our tickets on principle is really going to make much of a difference.

Actually I would hope that it would be taken very seriously by DBH if people did boycott due to Trump's attendance (if of course it happens). I think he is one of the most odious individuals I've ever had the misfortune to know anything about, and the fact that he's in charge of the USA is both a joke and quite scary. However, I'm with the others who say as long as it doesn't impact on the show, then "whatever major :loser: "

But if anyone does want to boycott the show because of him, then I say do it and good for you.
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

CJS wrote:
rockfordstone wrote:i don't like the bloke. but as long as his presence doesn't impact the show or my enjoyment of it i'm not bothered.

Actually I would hope that it would be taken very seriously by DBH if people did boycott due to Trump's attendance (if of course it happens). I think he is one of the most odious individuals I've ever had the misfortune to know anything about, and the fact that he's in charge of the USA is both a joke and quite scary. However, I'm with the others who say as long as it doesn't impact on the show, then "whatever major :loser: "

But if anyone does want to boycott the show because of him, then I say do it and good for you.

Or Saddam Hussein, King Jun-un etc...if the guy wants to come to a base that the AMERICAN’s use then so be it. If he does come he won’t be there the whole weekend. I’m sure it’ll be a quick visit like the Queen. People boycotting due to Trump attending is just pure ‘spitting the dummy out the pram.’ This isn’t aimed at you Chris but i feel like if you’re at an airshow put you’re political agenda to one side and enjoy the show. The one thing i’m most concerned about is the do-gooder leftist brigade coming up in arms to protest. People whining over another countries president over our own countries problems is a joke. You dont have to speak to him or even associate with him, just enjoy the day and save yourself the hassle. I’m not the biggest fan of the guy but i’ll make sure i enjoy the show the best i can :smile:

Paul_Reflex

Post by Paul_Reflex »

Airshowhammer wrote:
CJS wrote:

Or Saddam Hussein, King Jun-un etc...if the guy wants to come to a base that the AMERICAN’s use then so be it. If he does come he won’t be there the whole weekend. I’m sure it’ll be a quick visit like the Queen. People boycotting due to Trump attending is just pure ‘spitting the dummy out the pram.’ This isn’t aimed at you Chris but i feel like if you’re at an airshow put you’re political agenda to one side and enjoy the show. The one thing i’m most concerned about is the do-gooder leftist brigade coming up in arms to protest. People whining over another countries president over our own countries problems is a joke. You dont have to speak to him or even associate with him, just enjoy the day and save yourself the hassle :smile:

You've made that point now so I can only assume that you're making it again to be provocative. It seems aimed at me because I'm the only one who has expressed that sentiment. I couldn't care less what you think about my position on this, I never asked for advice, guidance or your moral wisdom. We all have different approaches to things, now kindly leave me alone.

CJS

Post by CJS »

I think that if you want to put your political viewpoint to one side then you should, and if you don't then you should.

Neither approach should be considered right or wrong, it's just a matter of opinion. I guess it's just that some issues are going to lend themselves to opinions which are at more extreme ends of the argument, and therefore provoke more discussion and disagreement.

Tmyers123

Post by Tmyers123 »

I’m just praying that, if he does come, it isn’t on the Saturday :grin:

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Airshowhammer wrote:....if you’re at an airshow put you’re political agenda to one side and enjoy the show. The one thing i’m most concerned about is the do-gooder leftist brigade....

:biggrin:
아직도 숨어있다

Tmyers123

Post by Tmyers123 »

Brevet Cable wrote:
Airshowhammer wrote:....if you’re at an airshow put you’re political agenda to one side and enjoy the show. The one thing i’m most concerned about is the do-gooder leftist brigade....

:biggrin:

:lmao:

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

At the moment the president's motorcade, trundling down the runway, reaches the centre section, all members of FRIAT will rise from their seats, turn to the south and drop their trousers. There will be heard a massive, collective "trump" matched only by a Lighning (EE variety) going through the sound barrier.

(Chris can join in from his position to the east if he wants to.)
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

CJS

Post by CJS »

I'll have extra potent curry the night before :-o

davidjones533

Post by davidjones533 »

Steady on, we don’t want any accidents.

CJS

Post by CJS »

Well he's up to something but I can't quite get to the bottom of it. Still, as long as he doesn't follow through on too many of his policies, I'll let him off

parsley
UKAR Supporter

Post by parsley »

Oh well at least I'm thoroughly reassured now by those who think that if he does turn up it's not going to have much effect on the show or those attending..... :lmao:

wezgulf3

Post by wezgulf3 »

One UK rag is saying the President Trump is visiting a US base on Friday 13th for a photo op, the base is not named, but I have an idea it will tie in with a Birthday Flypast!!

Plus who the f*ch King jun-un???

Wes...

Edited the correct date.
Last edited by wezgulf3 on Sun 24 Jun 2018, 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Not Fairford, then.
아직도 숨어있다

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

wezgulf3 wrote:One UK rag is saying the President Trump is visiting a US base on Friday 16th for a photo op, the base is not named, but I have an idea it will tie in with a Birthday Flypast!!

Plus who the f*ch King jun-un???

Wes...

There is no Friday 16th July either
What do you call a horse that lives nextdoor?? - A Neigh-bour!
Whisky Connoisseur

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Reports are Trump isn’t arriving until the Friday anyway and is meeting the Queen at Windsor

wezgulf3

Post by wezgulf3 »

boff180 wrote:Reports are Trump isn’t arriving until the Friday anyway and is meeting the Queen at Windsor

He arrives into Stansted on Thursday. Is at Chequers on Friday as well as Windsor (plus the Photo op at a US base) then off to Scotland on Saturday.

Wes...

andrewn

Post by andrewn »

Be fascinating if the Trump did drop by, maybe he'll pop by the FRIAT tent!

Purely from an enthusiast pov it's a regret of mine I never went down to see the circus when Obama dropped in.

As for his politics... meh!

Lee606

Post by Lee606 »

Paul_Reflex wrote:
Airshowhammer wrote:
CJS wrote:

Or Saddam Hussein, King Jun-un etc...if the guy wants to come to a base that the AMERICAN’s use then so be it. If he does come he won’t be there the whole weekend. I’m sure it’ll be a quick visit like the Queen. People boycotting due to Trump attending is just pure ‘spitting the dummy out the pram.’ This isn’t aimed at you Chris but i feel like if you’re at an airshow put you’re political agenda to one side and enjoy the show. The one thing i’m most concerned about is the do-gooder leftist brigade coming up in arms to protest. People whining over another countries president over our own countries problems is a joke. You dont have to speak to him or even associate with him, just enjoy the day and save yourself the hassle :smile:

You've made that point now so I can only assume that you're making it again to be provocative. It seems aimed at me because I'm the only one who has expressed that sentiment. I couldn't care less what you think about my position on this, I never asked for advice, guidance or your moral wisdom. We all have different approaches to things, now kindly leave me alone.

Leave you alone? Dont start spouting your nonsense then. We do all have different approaches,Im sure nobody on a uk airshow forum is intrested in mine just the same that we are not intrested in yours,Page two,You decided to get political and express your political opinion,And then informed us all that you wouldnt attend out of protest.

Paul_Reflex wrote:I'm not sure that I could attend an event of any sort if Trump was to be invited. If we knew which day it was he was attending I would just not go that day, but if that wasn't known I think I would very sadly leave my FRIAT seat unoccupied for the week and stay at home. A few weeks ago I wouldn't have been thinking this way, but the policy of putting the children of asylum seekers in cages is so unconscionable and upsetting that it's darkened my thoughts about his administration significantly. I genuinely feel that attending a show which is to be used as a PR event for that loathsome man would be out of the question for me personally. I would hate this to happen as RIAT is hands down the highlight of my year.

blah blah blah,give it a rest mate,no one honestly gives a toss.Nobody cares,Keep it to yourself.

CJS

Post by CJS »

Most pointlessly vitriolic post of the week?

Quite a lot of people give a toss actually, which is why we're discussing it.

Dan213

Post by Dan213 »

Lee606 wrote:
Paul_Reflex wrote:
Airshowhammer wrote:
CJS wrote:

Leave you alone? Dont start spouting your nonsense then. We do all have different approaches,I'm sure nobody on a uk airshow forum is intrested in mine just the same that we are not intrested in yours,Page two,You decided to get political and express your political opinion,And then informed us all that you wouldnt attend out of protest.

Paul_Reflex wrote:I'm not sure that I could attend an event of any sort if Trump was to be invited. If we knew which day it was he was attending I would just not go that day, but if that wasn't known I think I would very sadly leave my FRIAT seat unoccupied for the week and stay at home. A few weeks ago I wouldn't have been thinking this way, but the policy of putting the children of asylum seekers in cages is so unconscionable and upsetting that it's darkened my thoughts about his administration significantly. I genuinely feel that attending a show which is to be used as a PR event for that loathsome man would be out of the question for me personally. I would hate this to happen as RIAT is hands down the highlight of my year.

blah blah blah,give it a rest mate,no one honestly gives a toss.Nobody cares,Keep it to yourself.

Clearly people do care as there wouldn’t be a 4-page thread on the matter. Grow up!