RIAT 2018 Arrivals

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
Havoc

Re: RIAT 2018 Arrivals

Post by Havoc »

Anyone know why the 1st Turk viper was called to terminate his practice?

davidjones533

Post by davidjones533 »

Last edited by davidjones533 on Thu 13 Sep 2018, 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Go4Long

Post by Go4Long »

Havoc wrote:Anyone know why the 1st Turk viper was called to terminate his practice?

I didn’t here a knock it off call...did it happen?

borismorris

Post by borismorris »

I thought it was a complete display. Looked alright from West imo.

G-CVIX

Post by G-CVIX »

I have a feeling that the three day format will negatively impact participants in the future. Having an asset potentially sat on the ground from Tuesday/Wednesday to Monday is a big ask.

I am reserving judgement til after the weekend, but the RAF really gives the impression that it's just not bothered, illustrated perfectly by that awful sticker. I know it comes down to money, but it's sad to see.

Tmyers123

Post by Tmyers123 »

G-CVIX wrote: I am reserving judgement til after the weekend, but the RAF really gives the impression that it's just not bothered, illustrated perfectly by that awful sticker. I know it comes down to money, but it's sad to see.

Can’t knock the RAF’s participation, 24 static aircraft, 4 displays, and flypasts on each day, including the F-35B which has barely been home two minutes, and a diamond 9 of Typhoons on Sat/Sun. Sure, the RAF100 sticker is annoying but if they genuinely can’t scrape together the money for a special scheme (not sure I believe it after seeing the NTM scheme Puma) then that’s unavoidable.
Last edited by Tmyers123 on Thu 12 Jul 2018, 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dan213

Post by Dan213 »

G-CVIX wrote:I have a feeling that the three day format will negatively impact participants in the future. Having an asset potentially sat on the ground from Tuesday/Wednesday to Monday is a big ask.

Have also thought the same. Having to deploy assets for what is effectively a week is a huge commitment in the current climate.

Havoc

Post by Havoc »

I didn’t here a knock it off call...did it happen?

Hearing he MAY have overflown the Totterdown box....stress the May... :cuppa:

Maybe Tom can give us an update when the weeks over?

Dan213

Post by Dan213 »

Tmyers123 wrote:
G-CVIX wrote: I am reserving judgement til after the weekend, but the RAF really gives the impression that it's just not bothered, illustrated perfectly by that awful sticker. I know it comes down to money, but it's sad to see.

Can’t knock the RAF’s participation, 24 static aircraft, 4 displays, and flypasts on each day, including the F-35B which has barely been home two minutes, and a diamond 9 of Typhoons on Sat/Sun. Sure, the RAF100 sticker is annoying but if they genuinely can’t scrape together the money for a special scheme (not sure I believe it after seeing the NTM scheme Puma) then that’s unavoidable.

Believe the NTM Puma has to do with the fact that it falls under the joint helicopter command which comes under a different budget and it was the JHC that signed this off as opposed to the RAF
Last edited by Dan213 on Thu 12 Jul 2018, 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Georgeconna

Post by Georgeconna »

G-CVIX wrote:I have a feeling that the three day format will negatively impact participants in the future. Having an asset potentially sat on the ground from Tuesday/Wednesday to Monday is a big ask.

I am reserving judgement til after the weekend, but the RAF really gives the impression that it's just not bothered, illustrated perfectly by that awful sticker. I know it comes down to money, but it's sad to see.

Not to mind the Wallets of the Punters and the Family disputes with the time off!. Before I had 3 daughters no problem going for 4 days. Different tune now, They hover up the Cash and time with thier own hobbies.

Enjoy the show lads, I enjoyed logging once again from the armchair!!

Cheers

George.
Cheers

George

Zero shows for 2018 Giving in a Rest.

borismorris

Post by borismorris »

Will be back to normal next year wont it? I think most if not all air arms will have known how long they were committing to so I genuinely dont see it as an issue.

It could however be the reason that some of the "expected countries" haven't agreed to send items.

As a punter I/you have the choice of doing one or more days. No one is holding a gun to our heads and demanding we do a full week.

Fwiw, I have thouroughly enjoyed arrivals this year. A bit of a slow start on Tuesday and yes theres been a few negatives but I'm now looking forward to three varied days of displays. Before what is shaping up to be anything but
just another manic Monday.

paulb1973

Post by paulb1973 »

Not so much starting proceedings on a Tues - the expanded Friday is a bit more of a drain. I quite liked the easier-paced and more relaxed Friday 'half show' - and then a wander round the static before heading out. Now its up early and not leaving until 6pm-ish assuming one stays for the entire display. I wonder if they'll keep the full length Friday show in 2019?

CJS

Post by CJS »

Already been confirmed that they won't - 2019 back to normal, the whole day tomorrow is for RAF100.
Buy the sky and sell the sky and lift your arms up to the sky and ask the sky"

Tmyers123

Post by Tmyers123 »

According to someone in the RIAT nutters group (yeah, I know) the Wedgetail is on it’s way and will arrive 8:00pm tomorrow.

effects

Post by effects »

Tmyers123 wrote:According to someone in the RIAT nutters group (yeah, I know) the Wedgetail is on it’s way and will arrive 8:00pm tomorrow.

There is one 'asy262' currently over sioux city hdg east at FL330.
Nikon P900 (Sony DSC-HX400V, Sony DSC-HX300 and DSC-H2 retired)

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

The Spanish Harriers are already here so they are free :sad: bet it comes down to ££££££

The Super Hercules would have been awesome also.

2e1var

Post by 2e1var »

Airshowhammer wrote:The Spanish Harriers are already here so they are free :sad: bet it comes down to ££££££

2nd time in recent years the Harriers have come for FIA but not RIAT, seems odd they don't do both.
UBC-15X, 800XLT, 3500XLT, VT-225, Pro-2006, Pro-2042, IC-7300, IC-7100, Airspy R2
Sony a58, Sony 70-300G

effects

Post by effects »

Airshowhammer wrote:The Spanish Harriers are already here so they are free :sad: bet it comes down to ££££££

Seen them, did not cost a penny, you do realise the herk is a civvy?
Nikon P900 (Sony DSC-HX400V, Sony DSC-HX300 and DSC-H2 retired)

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

effects wrote:

Seen them, did not cost a penny, you do realise the herk is a civvy?

Yeah? Certain civilian acts have been at Farnborough & RIAT!

davidjones533

Post by davidjones533 »

Last edited by davidjones533 on Thu 13 Sep 2018, 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CJS

Post by CJS »

I thought that the Spanish Harrier was paid for by FIA to appear?
Buy the sky and sell the sky and lift your arms up to the sky and ask the sky"

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

Also does the Red Arrows smoke stay for longer than a second, they attempted to write 100 and it just looked like ‘lco’. Same with the heart. Good luck making sense of what it was!

G67

Post by G67 »

Re: Harriers. FIA doesn't pay for aircraft except on public days. Apparently Lockheed-Martin paid for the Harriers.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Aussie Wedgetail will apparently attempt to arrive at the end of today. Fair play to them.

vulcanshammer

Post by vulcanshammer »

Tommy wrote:Aussie Wedgetail will apparently attempt to arrive at the end of today. Fair play to them.

I heard the same thing. Fingers crossed!
The sooner the world runs out of cotton wool the better