All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
3enrique

Re: RIAT 2019

Post by 3enrique »

Yes please!

speedbird2639

Post by speedbird2639 »

trebleone wrote:I'm guessing ticket sales for the Friday must be slow, going by RIAT's latest post on their FB page

Well there's a surprise - they charge full price for a half day show, a couple of arrivals and a couple of rehearsals and they are surprised when the public keep hold of their money.

I've been to a Friday at RIAT before and it gives you a chance to get round 2/3 of the static with less crowding and to use the displays to check your camera is working ok but to charge a full Sat/ Sun price and expect people to fall for it is just lunacy.

I suspect the offers will get more and better as we get closer to July.

Gonzo230

Post by Gonzo230 »

speedbird2639 wrote:
trebleone wrote:I'm guessing ticket sales for the Friday must be slow, going by RIAT's latest post on their FB page

Well there's a surprise - they charge full price for a half day show, a couple of arrivals and a couple of rehearsals and they are surprised when the public keep hold of their money.

I've been to a Friday at RIAT before and it gives you a chance to get round 2/3 of the static with less crowding and to use the displays to check your camera is working ok but to charge a full Sat/ Sun price and expect people to fall for it is just lunacy.

So now an admitted 'guess' is taken as fact?

RIAT promotes their own event = Scared by the low ticket sales
RIAT warns of impending sell out of tickets for certain days/early bird etc = Scaremongering to sell tickets....

Just working on that RIAT to UKAR translation dictionary. :biggrin:

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

Interesting that they are quoting positive punter feedback from previous half day Friday shows on the website but a little misleading as we know that the feedback was based on a much lower entrance fee.

"Please keep the Friday as it is - very relaxed, easy to get around and the flying display is the right length"

"I think Friday works really well. It's the best of the flying display in four hours and much less busy"
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

OV-10 Bronco down for RIAT.. I assume static.

http://www.broncodemoteam.com/index.php?page=events

sopwithflyer

Post by sopwithflyer »

Gonzo230 wrote:
speedbird2639 wrote:

So now an admitted 'guess' is taken as fact?

RIAT promotes their own event = Scared by the low ticket sales
RIAT warns of impending sell out of tickets for certain days/early bird etc = Scaremongering to sell tickets....

Well done sir. I sat here shaking my head in disbelief, I can stop now.

Just working on that RIAT to UKAR translation dictionary. :biggrin:

sopwithflyer

Post by sopwithflyer »

pbeardmore wrote:Interesting that they are quoting positive punter feedback from previous half day Friday shows on the website but a little misleading as we know that the feedback was based on a much lower entrance fee.

"Please keep the Friday as it is - very relaxed, easy to get around and the flying display is the right length"

"I think Friday works really well. It's the best of the flying display in four hours and much less busy"

Perhaps not everyone goes to photograph the rare tajekbanian su75 amphibious glider in red and black camo. I guess its horses for courses. Living on the outskirts of Fairford as I do, I am sure I can speak for many locals by saying we really like the Fridays.

HeyfordDave111

Post by HeyfordDave111 »

sopwithflyer wrote:
pbeardmore wrote:Interesting that they are quoting positive punter feedback from previous half day Friday shows on the website but a little misleading as we know that the feedback was based on a much lower entrance fee.

Perhaps not everyone goes to photograph the rare tajekbanian su75 amphibious glider in red and black camo. I guess its horses for courses. Living on the outskirts of Fairford as I do, I am sure I can speak for many locals by saying we really like the Fridays.

Has the Su75 been confirmed yet? :lmao:
Got to love Russianhardware

sopwithflyer

Post by sopwithflyer »

HeyfordDave111 wrote:
sopwithflyer wrote:

Has the Su75 been confirmed yet? :lmao:

It most certainly has. It will also be using flares, but only on Friday.

IATthenRIAT

Post by IATthenRIAT »

Nothing mentioned from the Americans yet - wonder what will be at the show this year?

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

IATthenRIAT wrote:Nothing mentioned from the Americans yet - wonder what will be at the show this year?

Usually around May time they confirm. I expect a KC-135/ C-130/ Osprey from the hall. Couple F-15’s from the heath, if we’re lucky a static C-17?

Obviously the child in me says ‘B-52 and B-1 flying please like the 2000’s’ but the last 11 years tells us that just simply isn’t going to happen :grin:

Think the older I get the wishful thinking each year dies a little :biggrin:

Go4Long

Post by Go4Long »

anyone see the absolutely ridiculous weathering job on the Belgian 31st Squadrons tiger meet jet? Incredible workmanship.. Hope they bring that one.

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

Go4Long wrote:anyone see the absolutely ridiculous weathering job on the Belgian 31st Squadrons tiger meet jet? Incredible workmanship.. Hope they bring that one.

it is stunning. it took me a while to work out they'd done it on purpose and that it wasn't just a scrap heap

bobby 1211

Post by bobby 1211 »

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

bobby 1211 wrote:no team iskry this year
https://airshowinfo.hu/airshowfeed/2019 ... -schedule/

Not missing much, to be fair.

Berf

Post by Berf »

Have to disagree there:

and the main reason being the aircraft - the Iskra first flew in 1960 - it is coming up to its 60th! It is a very interesting aircraft and for a national team to be flying it is great. You can't compare it to modern trainers - it is vintage aerobatics.

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

Totally agree Berf.

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

Berf wrote:Have to disagree there:

and the main reason being the aircraft - the Iskra first flew in 1960 - it is coming up to its 60th! It is a very interesting aircraft and for a national team to be flying it is great. You can't compare it to modern trainers - it is vintage aerobatics.

Spot on. Would have been nice to see them this year.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

Granted it's an interesting type, and there's a nice solo display on the circuit, but the display team are pretty dull, I think I'd prefer to watch the RJF if I'm honest.

CJS

Post by CJS »

IATthenRIAT wrote:Nothing mentioned from the Americans yet - wonder what will be at the show this year?

They have mentioned the fact that none of the display teams from the US will be in attendance.

Be nice to see the Bronco again, it looked lovely in its WW1 Remembrance theme last year.
Last edited by CJS on Thu 18 Apr 2019, 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Buy the sky and sell the sky and lift your arms up to the sky and ask the sky"

Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Post by Skyflash »

CJS wrote:

They have mentioned the fact that none of the display teams from the US will be in attendance.

Has there been a formal announcement to that effect though, or are people just surmising based on the schedules published by the various teams?

Apologies if I've missed something.
Posting comments on an aviation-related chatroom, are ya? Looks like it an' all...

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

:ninja: The F-22 & F-35 display teams don't have anything scheduled for the RIAT weekend.... :ninja:

Image :biggrin:
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

Chopper81

Post by Chopper81 »

What can we expect today?? Official confirmations of the unofficial confirmations???

HeyfordDave111

Post by HeyfordDave111 »

Unfortunately i cannot find the info to back up my comments now, but i seem to remember a USAF press release about F35's being in Europe this summer (although that might just be for an excercise), but alos i remember a press release about an F35 display at RIAT.

Typical when your mind gets older you lose track of where you read these things, or if your totally befuddled, like me, if you even read them to start with........ but i think i did, so fingers crossed.

with no real block of FJ displays, and not many FJ team displays either available and not saying anything, or that have said they arent attending, it's looking 'thin' at the moment. (please note those last 3 words)

Fingers crossed for F-4's for you guys and gals, and maybe something different from the Ukraine, but what would be nice is the Danish Herc operating from Brize to display with a full display including flares. Looks a great display, and if it stays at Brize all weekend, instead of being 'live side' at Fairford, who will really complain if its got an 'ace up its sleeve' for its display?
Mind you a pair of A-4's would also be good.
Got to love Russianhardware

Tmyers123

Post by Tmyers123 »