RIAT 2019

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
CJS

Re: RIAT 2019

Post by CJS »

Airshowhammer wrote:
CJS wrote:
Airshowhammer wrote:
MiG_Eater wrote:There was a Flanker and A-10 in 2011...

Also, Switzerland isn't in the EU!

(Edit: and, as I recall, a Mig-29 in 2013!)

Were you at either show? They were not RIAT standard :question:
Flanker was on static only because I think I recall they paid for its services. A10 a great catch yes but before than we had ACC nearly every year before that.
Mig 29 was the stand out act in 2013 by far.

We heard you the first time :lol:

Sorry Chris, my phone sometimes double posts :grin:

And mine, dunno why...
Buy the sky and sell the sky and lift your arms up to the sky and ask the sky"

CJS

Post by CJS »

TYPHOON3 wrote:I do rate the Blades as a display team but I'm thinking they might have been booked as a bit of a safety net in case Brexit does cause a few Airforces to decline.They will fill up around 30 mins display time.Before anyone says it,I know we are leaving the EU, not NATO.

I'm no fan of Brexit, or for that matter of the sightly OTT reactions of certain remainers, but seriously? Brexit having an effect on RIAT participation? Come on...

TYPHOON3

Post by TYPHOON3 »

CJS wrote:
TYPHOON3 wrote:I do rate the Blades as a display team but I'm thinking they might have been booked as a bit of a safety net in case Brexit does cause a few Airforces to decline.They will fill up around 30 mins display time.Before anyone says it,I know we are leaving the EU, not NATO.

I'm no fan of Brexit, or for that matter of the sightly OTT reactions of certain remainers, but seriously? Brexit having an effect on RIAT participation? Come on...

I did use the words 'might' and 'in case' in my post and I do hope I'm totally wrong in the end but we are about to enter into the unknown regards Brexit.Why haven't the Blades been booked by RIAT before now and why so early booking a civilian display team at a Military airshow ?

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

TYPHOON3 wrote:
CJS wrote:

I did use the words 'might' and 'in case' in my post and I do hope I'm totally wrong in the end but we are about to enter into the unknown regards Brexit.Why haven't the Blades been booked by RIAT before now and why so early booking a civilian display team at a Military airshow ?

My guess would be feelers were put out to several teams and the Blades were the most attractive option to RIAT management.

The timing of the booking is a non issue. Civilian teams are easier to book and come to an agreement with compared to the military process done by RIAT each year which includes embassy visits, writing to the countries air arms, that country then deciding what they will send, if it will fly or be on static and finally confirming it to DBH in writing before they can confirm it themselves.

A lot of that doesn't happen until March or onwards.

As for why book them now when they haven't before? That's anyone's guess. It might be the fact its the Reds 55th display season, and the Blades are all former Red pilots and we will see a 'unique formation'... who knows? The truth is none of us will ever fully know what goes on behind the scenes when planning a show like RIAT and the decisions that are taken.

speedbird2639

Post by speedbird2639 »

Tom105 wrote:Yep that for me deserves a Meh, not a fan of there display much prefer the RJF! :tumbleweed:

Choosing between the RJF and The Blades is a bit like trying to decide which type of unnecessary surgery you would like. I don't have high hopes for this years show if they are booking seaside filler acts this early - if you get to the last week and you have some slots available then fair enough.

Oh and as the football is on so DanO is probably working and therefore not on here, reported for use of the wrong "there/ their/ they're". I know he's a stickler for these things.

HeyfordDave111

Post by HeyfordDave111 »

The good thing about the blades for DBH, is that, as we have seen, they can spin it so well that joe public will lap it up and buy tickets.

Plus it's another 'huge' leap in the participant numbers attending.... add the wing walkers, Reds, wings of Storm (who are in Belgium around early september so a slim possibility) perhaps a pitts special or 2, and of course the swiss PC's (probably doing something else this year) then your participation list is quite large for this time of year...... bums on seats boyo, bums on seats.

Otherwise, it's very Me-h. But can the middle of February be called 'early days'? It's still 5 months away from the show, or should i say 20 announcement days to arrivals (approx) if they keep only announcing stuff on Thursdays.

I will take a watching brief, but am cogniscent that i can spend twice what i spend on RIAT, and get what is arguably, the best airshow in the world this year, and thats MAKS, plus the Monino museum.

Next year 5 days at 'Rainbow Canyon' with a couple of base visits and some californian beach time for twice what RIAT costs me (ticket, fuel, food, hotels etc).

Hmmmm, maybe i'm jaded by 26 years of RIAT, and need the change to refresh my batteries, but i would say this. RIAT is our show, its usually a great show, but it wont have the draw for me this year, and possibly the future shows as they just cannot , for obvious reasons, get the metal i want to see, see fly, and photograph, hence why 'I'm out'.
Got to love Russianhardware

Abbo46

Post by Abbo46 »

HeyfordDave111 wrote: RIAT is our show, its usually a great show, but it wont have the draw for me this year, and possibly the future shows as they just cannot , for obvious reasons, get the metal i want to see, see fly, and photograph, hence why 'I'm out'.

Quite how you can make this assumption at this stage, is beyond me. :grin:

CJS

Post by CJS »

Abbo46 wrote:
HeyfordDave111 wrote: RIAT is our show, its usually a great show, but it wont have the draw for me this year, and possibly the future shows as they just cannot , for obvious reasons, get the metal i want to see, see fly, and photograph, hence why 'I'm out'.

Quite how you can make this assumption at this stage, is beyond me. :grin:

Indeed. Utterly baffling. I mean Heyford, did you actually attend the last two (at least) shows? Your post indicates you did, yet you bemoan the lack of 'metal'?
Still, more space on the crowd line and all that.

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

I seem to recall an international team stating that Brexit wouldn’t affect participation. Think it was Couteau Delta for some reason. Or I could just be going crackers.

HeyfordDave111

Post by HeyfordDave111 »

Sorry, i should have clarified that.

mach 3 the last 10 years, but the metal i need to see now, are either far east, and ive done enough museums to sate that desire, but Russia is now the place to complete things.....if i dont get to Iran, but ive seen a tomcat fly, etc.

What i need now are the blackjacks, backfires, assorted migs, and Su's etc.
and no matter how hard we all want DBH to work on the subject, apart from the Su22's, possible mig21's, 29's and Su-27's, i doubt we will ever see a frogfoot over here or a fencer.

So with the changing world, yes DBH will have metal, but not the metal i want and i'm willing to pay for it to see it before its too late. This is why i'm giving RIAT a miss this year, and possibly next, as i will need low level fixes out at Rainbow, as UK low leve is only kept alive by the Americans nowadays (forget the ban for a minute), and i dont see that improving any time soon.

Sorry to confuse. and i hope no one is insulted, its just i need to make some big choices over the next few years and for those reasons, i'm not doing RIAT.

Cheers
Dave
Got to love Russianhardware

BossMann

Post by BossMann »

The Blades are good but as with other posts they can be seen at all the free seaside airshows / other small airshows around the country. So people on social media are asking if £50+ ticket for a display item that can be seen for free around the country is worth it.

Not sure if they quite fit in with the 'worlds largest military airshow', I would have expected the Brietling Jet Team over the Blades at RIAT tbh

But already it seems RIAT has lost out on getting the Patrouille Suisse and Wings of Storm, Team PC7 going to Sunderland.
Could Frecce/ Patrulla Aguila return this year? plus hopefully they will get Patrouille de France.....

Plus the RJF fly the same number and almost similar type of Extra 300, although the RJF display is very different to the Blades display

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

The only thing that concerns me is the ‘bums on seats’
quote that was mentioned earlier.
I hope the people at the top don’t see this as a massive cash converter. Like the situation at West Ham, why bother investing in quality when 60k people are going to turn up each week regardless?

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Airshowhammer wrote:I seem to recall an international team stating that Brexit wouldn’t affect participation. Think it was Couteau Delta for some reason. Or I could just be going crackers.

Well, given that they’ve hung up their spurs for at least this year, it’s probably correct. Brexit won’t affect their pariticipation, because they’re not participating anywhere anyway! :grin:

I know the person said “might” so fair enough, but I also disagree that brexit will have any material affect on foreign participation.

G67

Post by G67 »

Yep there were plenty of Air Fetes and IATs before the EU was even established ( 1993 ). NATO has been a much stronger bond for much longer.

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

Tommy wrote:
Airshowhammer wrote:I seem to recall an international team stating that Brexit wouldn’t affect participation. Think it was Couteau Delta for some reason. Or I could just be going crackers.

Well, given that they’ve hung up their spurs for at least this year, it’s probably correct. Brexit won’t affect their pariticipation, because they’re not participating anywhere anyway! :grin:

I know the person said “might” so fair enough, but I also disagree that brexit will have any material affect on foreign participation.

Before they hung up their boots :wink: :handbag:

Hog

Post by Hog »

The A-10 Team are not displaying in the States for the RIAT weekend, wonder if they will be tempted over to Fairford, would be nice if they did.

CJS

Post by CJS »

Hog wrote:The A-10 Team are not displaying in the States for the RIAT weekend, wonder if they will be tempted over to Fairford, would be nice if they did.

There's a wishlist thread for that kind of wishful thinking :lol:

Chris G

Post by Chris G »

Belgian F-16 releases it's schedule later today so should be guaranteed an F-16 after the mid week disappointment with the blades.

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

Doesn't seem to be tonight after-all lol

Abbo46

Post by Abbo46 »

Just confirmed it'll be released on Monday.

aviodromefriend

Post by aviodromefriend »

Will be a few weeks before DBH confirms it (if it comes, we don't know the schedule yet!!!).
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

Coming tomorrow now according to 'Vador Force' FB

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

It'll be about 150 days early, then......

:whistle:

:wink:
:lol:
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

borismorris

Post by borismorris »

Brevet Cable wrote:It'll be about 150 days early, then......

:whistle:

:lol:

I bet there will still be some numpty at the perimeter up a stepladder though

:loser:

:biggrin:

Abbo46

Post by Abbo46 »

Belgian F-16 self confirmed. :clap: