RIAT 2019

Switch to full style
All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
Post a reply

Re: RIAT 2019

Wed 10 Oct 2018, 8:20 pm

Can't agree with 8.6% being cheap credit. If it was my business I would do what RIAT is doing, lack of cash flow is what sinks a business.
Can't get excited about this tbh.

Re: RIAT 2019

Tue 16 Oct 2018, 8:07 am

Adie1980 wrote:
Gonzo230 wrote:
iaint wrote:I think it’s asked every year and the following years I always forget - but has anyone got a history of entry prices over the last 10years, for example?
Price continues to creep up and what’s the justification for continual rises? Super Earlybird tickets edging closer to £50, full price near to £60! :hypno:
Aware there will be those who try to counter by saying it’s only a £2 increase, very small, only 4% up on 2017 SE ticket price, but it’s yet another rise. Do the advertised prices also include admin and booking fees? Add a couple more quid on top then if not and you are at the £50/60 mark already...

Hence the question about a historical view of prices as it surely was much less than 10 years ago that Super Earlbirds were mid-£30 and the full price tickets also sub £50


Devils advocate......how much did your car insurance, home insurance, travel insurance, electricity, gas, petrol/diesel et al costs increase by over the past 12 months?

How much do we think RIAT’s costs have increased by since last year? Hotel accommodation for crews? Vehicle rental? Catering companies, fuel (aircraft and vehicle) etc?


None of my insurances, electricity, gas, petrol/diesel costs increased by 60% (the percentage increase in cost for a Friday ticket) in the last 24 months..... :tumbleweed:


Yes, but we weren't talking about the change in Friday's prices, if you look at the original quote.

Re: RIAT 2019

Wed 24 Oct 2018, 2:37 pm

Adie1980 wrote:
pbeardmore wrote:Interesting re the Saturday ticket figures. Does this show that, despite all the stuff/excitement/guesswork on forums like this, the actual content is not that important and many punters are willing to "take a punt"?


Or maybe the number of Super Earlybird tickets available have been drastically reduced, thereby forcing loyal attendees into two options:

a). Buy now
b). Wait until next year and pay full price

For years I have bought Super Earlybird tickets at the end of January, Christmas was done & dusted and I knew better what my plans were for the year and whether I could do just one day of RIAT or maybe a couple. I usually ended up doing the Friday + Saturday which has been great value for the last few years.

I just can't help but feel cynical at the way ticketing is being approached this year? Last year was the first time I've booked tickets before Christmas (purely because of the RAF100 hype) but it seems like we're getting a bit taken advantage of with £47 for half an airshow (Friday) and threats of Super Earlybird sellouts in early October.

Anyone else feel the same, or is it just me? :dunno:

I'm a nervous bystander watching the Super Earlybirds (why does my brain keep seeing that as Super Etendard?) sell like hot cakes while I'm still sweating on my maiden FRIAT booking being confirmed...... :confused:

Re: RIAT 2019

Fri 09 Nov 2018, 11:14 am

Only 500 super earlybirds left posted by RIAT today. I find it hard to see how the 2019 show can better this years and in a couple of months this forum will be full of people whinging that the attendees list is pathetic, yet apparently we can't get enough RIAT and are prepared to commit early. Probably reflects that even on a bad day it's probably the best show in the world.

Re: RIAT 2019

Fri 09 Nov 2018, 12:38 pm

Or that there are a lot of gullible fools around....

Re: RIAT 2019

Fri 09 Nov 2018, 2:30 pm

Brevet Cable wrote:Or that there are a lot of gullible fools around....


Or maybe some of us have to make our plans well in advance with hotels and flights etc. So get at cheaper rate now as hotels and flights will be a heck of a lot more expensive down the line also.

I wasn't originally able to do RIAT this year due to other commitments, only for that to go out the window in April. By the time I knew I was able to do RIAT, hotels and flights were just too out of my price range. What I paid in 2017 (and apx the same this year) £140 for 3 nights and £50 return flights was £350 for hotel and £200 return flights. I said no to that and did RAF100 in London instead.

For 2019 everything is already booked, I paid £60 for flights and £170 for hotel. If I held off that would be a lot more expensive down the line also.

It's not just entry tickets many of us have to think about, which is the reason early bird tickets are still good for myself and others even before anything is announced.

Re: RIAT 2019

Fri 09 Nov 2018, 3:44 pm

jasonT1981 wrote:
Brevet Cable wrote:Or that there are a lot of gullible fools around....


Or maybe some of us have to make our plans well in advance with hotels and flights etc. So get at cheaper rate now as hotels and flights will be a heck of a lot more expensive down the line also.

I wasn't originally able to do RIAT this year due to other commitments, only for that to go out the window in April. By the time I knew I was able to do RIAT, hotels and flights were just too out of my price range. What I paid in 2017 (and apx the same this year) £140 for 3 nights and £50 return flights was £350 for hotel and £200 return flights. I said no to that and did RAF100 in London instead.

For 2019 everything is already booked, I paid £60 for flights and £170 for hotel. If I held off that would be a lot more expensive down the line also.

It's not just entry tickets many of us have to think about, which is the reason early bird tickets are still good for myself and others even before anything is announced.


same for me. i wanted it booked in so i can get the place is stayed this year and make sure nothing else comes in on that weekend. it also made it more financially viable for my brother who is coming for the first time.

it possibly won't be as good as this year or last year, but you can be sure that even if it is a step down it will be the best place in the UK to see a good selection of fast jet displays.

the people who complain about the attendees list will always find something to complain about even if every variety of plane was on display.

not all of us have to tick of certain planes in our little book. we are just happy to have a weekend away from the normal day today bollocks we all deal with.

Re: RIAT 2019

Fri 09 Nov 2018, 3:52 pm

rockfordstone wrote:
not all of us have to tick of certain planes in our little book. we are just happy to have a weekend away from the normal day today bollocks we all deal with.


I agree. To be at RIAT, whether a classic year or not, is a cracking day out, and I'd rather be there than anywhere else I could be that day. So why not book early and save a bob or two?

Re: RIAT 2019

Fri 09 Nov 2018, 4:19 pm

Brevet Cable wrote:Or that there are a lot of gullible fools around....


Why does planning ahead for a nice day out, taking advantage of the best price make anyone gullible? Or indeed a fool?

Re: RIAT 2019

Fri 09 Nov 2018, 4:40 pm

rockfordstone wrote:
not all of us have to tick of certain planes in our little book. we are just happy to have a weekend away from the normal day today bollocks we all deal with.



Exactly, I am over in Northern Ireland. All we have are seaside shows. As much as I enjoy them, there is only a limited scope on what aircraft display at them. If I want to see the fast jets and foreign military... RIAT is the only real place for it. It's more about an enjoyable weekend watching air displays for me than what is attending.

Re: RIAT 2019

Fri 09 Nov 2018, 4:46 pm

jasonT1981 wrote:Or maybe some of us have to make our plans well in advance with hotels and flights etc.

And if you've followed previous RIAT topics, you'll have seen that I'm one of those people.
It's only November, but every single one of my holiday periods for next year is already booked-off ( and yes, that includes the RIAT week )
But I'd speculate that the majority of those rushing to buy the SEB tickets don't fall into that category.

No, I haven't booked accommodation yet, but that's down to the fact that it'll be another few months before Kempsford opens for bookings.
What I won't be doing is rushing to buy RIAT tickets -- the only certainty is that I won't be doing the Friday, the decision on whether to do one or both of the weekend showdays ( or possibly neither ) won't be made any time soon.

vulcanshammer wrote:Why does planning ahead for a nice day out, taking advantage of the best price make anyone gullible? Or indeed a fool?

Because the speed the SEB tickets are selling-out compared to previous 'normal' years makes me feel that people are simply rushing out to buy them off the back of this year's show.

Re: RIAT 2019

Fri 09 Nov 2018, 5:08 pm

Brevet Cable wrote:
jasonT1981 wrote:Or maybe some of us have to make our plans well in advance with hotels and flights etc.

And if you've followed previous RIAT topics, you'll have seen that I'm one of those people.
It's only November, but every single one of my holiday periods for next year is already booked-off ( and yes, that includes the RIAT week )
But I'd speculate that the majority of those rushing to buy the SEB tickets don't fall into that category.

No, I haven't booked accommodation yet, but that's down to the fact that it'll be another few months before Kempsford opens for bookings.
What I won't be doing is rushing to buy RIAT tickets -- the only certainty is that I won't be doing the Friday, the decision on whether to do one or both of the weekend showdays ( or possibly neither ) won't be made any time soon.

vulcanshammer wrote:Why does planning ahead for a nice day out, taking advantage of the best price make anyone gullible? Or indeed a fool?

Because the speed the SEB tickets are selling-out compared to previous 'normal' years makes me feel that people are simply rushing out to buy them off the back of this year's show.


This year's show was no better than previous year's shows. But so what if it was the reason, people went to the airshow, decided they would like to go again and so are buying tickets for it. To suggest they are gullible fools for doing so doesn't make you come across very well. Perhaps that was your intention though? :dunno: I completely understand you wanting to wait until you know the lineup, but some people have decided to attend regardless, as let's be honest, it has a fairly decent reputation to go on...

Re: RIAT 2019

Fri 09 Nov 2018, 8:12 pm

Looks like the ticket frenzy is on again ......absolutely ridiculous , if you apply for FRIAT it appears you are not guaranteed to be accepted looking at the form. They will contact you to take card details - how long does that take ? :sad:

Email from RIAT today saying early bird tickets for Saturday - almost gone . :wall:

Talk about sales pressure with regard tickets ......

Crikey nothing has been announced yet to attend ....... what's the rush

Re: RIAT 2019

Fri 09 Nov 2018, 8:57 pm

There are obviously enough people - me included - who are planning to go whatever the lineup and can only go on one day. Why wouldn't I get my ticket for slightly less if that's the case?

Re: RIAT 2019

Fri 09 Nov 2018, 9:29 pm

Because of the rush to buy tickets so early.
Unlike the old system, the SEB-EB-Full price offers are not determined by date, there's now a set number of SEB & EB tickets and once each is sold out that's it.
If people were prepared to wait until they'd at least started announcing attendances before buying their ticket there would still be SEB tickets available.
The sooner all the SEB tickets are sold, the sooner the EB tickets go on sale and the sooner they sell out, the sooner the full price tickets go on sale.....unlikely to happen, but you could end up with the ridiculous situation where both the SEB & EB tickets are sold out months before DBH have even announced the first participants. :dizzy:

Re: RIAT 2019

Sat 10 Nov 2018, 6:59 am

We tend to think of Belgium and France but my mother's uncle died in 1917 in Mesopotamia - how times don't change.... (near Basra in Iraq).

Re: RIAT 2019

Sat 10 Nov 2018, 7:06 am

Berf wrote:We tend to think of Belgium and France but my mother's uncle died in 1917 in Mesopotamia - how times don't change.... (near Basra in Iraq).


Very true, but entirely the wrong thread. :up:

Re: RIAT 2019

Sat 10 Nov 2018, 8:57 am

CJS wrote:There are obviously enough people - me included - who are planning to go whatever the lineup and can only go on one day. Why wouldn't I get my ticket for slightly less if that's the case?


+1

Re: RIAT 2019

Sat 10 Nov 2018, 9:10 am

CJS/Brevet all points taken and understood. I definitely will attend Fri/Sat/Sun as normal - 3 days. Decisions FRIAT or Early Bird Tickets .......

The RIAT website states "Aircraft will start confirming in 2019. Air Arms usually begin allocating aircraft from March/April"

We are only in November , the current sales pitch makes it difficult to decide between spending £440 (FRIAT) for 2 of us on tickets as opposed £282 (SEB) especially as I haven't seen anything announced as yet , that was my point. Difficult when you have to factor in travel and hotel costs as well.

I now note that if you purchase FRIAT you can cancel up to 1.5.19 - has that always been the case ? , if anybody buys then pots it before the given date they just lose £20 admin fee. That just adds to the availability problems of the FRIAT option if you miss out when you send the application form - it doesn't appear to allow immediate purchase as you don't put any payment details on the form , the team appears to contact you it now appears - this seems like a lucky dip .

Bit like Russian roulette these days ..... :wall:
Last edited by ikarus on Sat 10 Nov 2018, 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: RIAT 2019

Sat 10 Nov 2018, 9:59 am

tankbuster wrote:I find it hard to see how the 2019 show can better this years
A jubilee of one Air Force or a jubilee with a lot of armed forces that operate aircraft involved... I would imagine next year's RIAT to be much bigger than this one's (disclaimer: this is posted before December 31 2018 or January 1 2019, for those that read the topic at a later stage).

Re: RIAT 2019

Sat 10 Nov 2018, 3:47 pm

Late to this thread but very early for me to even think about RIAT tickets but, having been disappointed this year and being prompted by a tweet I thought I'd have a look. I know it's been discussed but really - same price for the Friday as the weekend?!! That really is a crap move by DBH, based purely on greed; awful decision but they know they've got us exactly where they want us...
Also, only just clocked the cover for this years programme (again, probably discussed elsewhere) what an absolute eye sore!! Really horrible cover, ranking amongst the worst anywhere..

Re: RIAT 2019

Sat 10 Nov 2018, 4:58 pm

st24 wrote:Also, only just clocked the cover for this years programme (again, probably discussed elsewhere) what an absolute eye sore!! Really horrible cover, ranking amongst the worst anywhere.


It’s not that bad. :grin:

Re: RIAT 2019

Wed 14 Nov 2018, 10:06 am

Saturday Super Early Bird sold out.

Re: RIAT 2019

Wed 14 Nov 2018, 10:11 am

Absolutely ridiculous!

Re: RIAT 2019

Wed 14 Nov 2018, 10:30 am

Seems a very positive thing to me. Surely strong early ticket sales can only give DBH confidence in the show and early funds to help cash flow. It certainly wont hurt their participation ambitions either.
Post a reply