2018 Security

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
ikarus

Re: 2018 Security

Post by ikarus »

No issues with the security to be honest - a sign of our times , it takes as long as it takes :sad:

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Homer wrote:A 20L rucksack will just about hold waterproofs and sun cream.

Someone's not very good at packing, then.

I use my old fishing rucksack ( which has a built-in stool ) which holds about 20-25L
In that I can easily fit a couple of 2L bottles ( and 2x 1L bottles in the side pockets ), a couple of Pringles cartons, half-dozen or so snack-bars, a pac-a-mac, an umbrella, a D-SLR with 18-300mm lens ( ar an SX60HS/L330 bridge camera ), a radio scanner, spare batteries for both, a hat, a pack of 'wet-wipes' & a handful of paper towels.....and it still isn't full.

Plenty of people do buy food & drink ( I usually don't ) just as they do at any other venue or amusement park - they class it as part of the day out.
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

spellow3010

Post by spellow3010 »

play it cool wrote:Not really,no. It’ll satisfy them that you’re not carrying metallic objects on your body. Presumably they have quotas to meet.
Insofar as them preventing terrorism goes, personally I have no concerns.

This - after losing my temper at having been searched no less than 3 times in the same queue to get in one year (2003 or 4 maybe), I just shrug my shoulders, be polite and let it all wash over me. I tend to pack much more lightly for the show days instead of the P&V arrival days. I prepare for the check by taking off my sunhat/baseball cap and using it to hold all of the visible contents of my pockets/metal objects etc. When they ask to look inside my bag, I hand it to them and say 'help yourself.' When done, I thank them and go on my way.

What I would be loathe to do is take off my belt. I find that totally humiliating at Eurostar or at airport security.

At the end of the day, it might help the queue move more quickly if people anticipated what was going to happen at the entry gate a little more.
Now officially qualifies as a 'regular' at Famous Dave's - El Centro

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

spellow3010 wrote:I prepare for the check by taking off my sunhat/baseball cap and using it to hold all of the visible contents of my pockets/metal objects etc.

Me too....and I often get strange looks off people in the queue around me when I do so. :biggrin:
아직도 숨어있다

CJS

Post by CJS »

At the Green entrance on Saturday, staff were shouting out what to do so you had plenty of time (unless it takes you an unusually long time to empty your pockets) before you got to the security checks.
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

They've done that at 'Blue' in the past, don't know why they don't do it any more.
They've got a captive audiance before the gates open at 07:30hrs, so you have to wonder why they don't have someone wandering the length of the queue telling people what to do.
They could also stick it in the FAQs on the website.
It's almost as if they assume everybody's been there before.
아직도 숨어있다

JamesA10

Post by JamesA10 »

Big Eric wrote:Does anyone know if the security checks at Silverstone for the British Grand Prix were any different than RIAT's?

I was at the British Grand Prix and RIAT so wanted to throw in my experience.

I was at Silverstone for 3 days and was personally searched twice on the Friday and Saturday, that despite there been literally no line when we arrived on the Sunday. That said I was informed by a member of the security team they were only searching 1 in every 35 people, each enterance only had a maximum of two people checking bags and there was no sign of any wands, metal detectors and the like. I would say out of the massive crowd (340,000 over the weekend) most would have gotten in without having been searched at all, as at Faiford.

I am with people on here on the issue, it’s impossible to get anywhere near 100% checks on security and trust the training of security personnel to supplement random checks where they deem it necessary. I certainly didn’t feel unsafe at either event and am sure the complaining would be much worse had people been queueing for hours outside and missed the start of the display.