RIAT 2018: Thoughts & feedback!

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
AMB

Re: RIAT 2018: Thoughts & feedback!

Post by AMB »

Wrexham Mackem wrote:
MiG_Eater wrote:I honestly hadn't thought about the Falcons - but imagine if; just as a one off, they'd jumped from an Atlas complete with old-fashioned low, fastpass at the end.

It's this kind of small and relatively easy thing that could have made the difference to the RAF100 theme.

Exactly. Its bad enough that one of the RAF's main display assets wasn't there, but worse that something special could've been made of them. They're even based down the road at Brize.

Makes you wonder whether a group of people representing the RAF's PR and display assets actually got in a conference room, with a whiteboard, and said "right, bear in mind we haven't got a massive budget, but let's have some ideas, lets see what we can do to really put on a show, this show is the big one..".

...and just to rub salt into the wound, looking at the pics from the private Rendcomb show, the leader of the Falcons parachute team carried a huge RAF100 flag whilst trailing smoke from his boots. What sort of priority were the MoD PR thinking of? :whistle:
Adrian

aviodromefriend

Post by aviodromefriend »

Travelwise:
Angry about missing the coach to Swindon at Heathrow on Thursday due to it leaving even before the time it was expected to arrive, Thankfully the lady at the National Express desk arranged a seat at the next coach, which was only 1.5 hours later.

Friday:
Upon driving through the gate, the shuttlebus was directed towards Showground reception instead of the yellow entrance. It was not earlier than after the dogsearch that the driver and volunteers figured out something was wrong. Then a follow-me motor took us to the right spot. Then there was the new spot for yellow. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE DBH, keep it where it was this year, don´t move it back to its former position. I don´t know what the reason was for its repositioning but the new spot worked. It was a lot shorter walk into the showground, and you didn´t have the very long queue, as you could directly join the line you wished for for the ticket- and security checks. Checks itself were as random every year, with very little crowds (being the first from that bus reaching the gate, and nobody else there at that point), I expected to get the full experience, but was only wanded. It was not until Sunday that my photobag was X-rayed. If that was a real threat it would have exploded during one of the earlier showdays :grin: .
Further I enjoyed this day until the flypast was due, but not so much as other Fridays in the recent past. It just missed that relaxed Friday feeling, a bit of teasers for the real weekend. Then that weather...
[nonserious]When did it became clear that there was a possibility it would endanger the flypast? In the past (the o´Hagan commentary days) there was a song called Mr. Blue sky that broke all clouds away as soon as it was played over the PA. Was it too late to even consider trying to do that trick to save the flypast?[/nonserious] Strange also to hear from Ben that it was clearing already when the first lightning strikes (no, the natural thing, nothing to do with the F-35) could be heard. Apparently, British weather is much different from continental weather.

Saturday
Nice to meet one of the people from ATC in the lift of the hotel. We had a nice chat about the flypast that never was, the possibility of it trying again during the other days, launching it from Fairford itself to give some flexibility, but also about if RIAT should do RAF jubilees again. The RAF pulled out the week before the show in ’98, there is enough said about ’08 (although I never knew it was a very close call to cancel the flypast for the Queen that year also) and flypastgate this year.
Then there was that announcement about a special flypast at 4 o’clock, and for a short while I thought “Oh, was that lightning yesterday the spirit of Paul Bowen striking into RIAT and the RAF to try again?”, but it appeared to be the B-2.
Best display I’ve ever seen from the BBMF.

Sunday
The third full showday and to be honest, for me this one was too much. Also disappointed that the Canadians had already packed up their helicopter when the sun was at its best for that spot.
Why was that Jet Provost made victim of that RAF 100 sticker?

Overall
Loved it until I fell asleep during Sunday afternoon. Three full days is too much. It has now been tried, and it didn’t work. The best thing there was related to RAF 100 was the 617 squadron bit, but was RAF 100 needed to stage it? A bit in the display as “farewell Tornado, Welcome Lightning” with the Lancaster thrown in as the founding aircraft type of the first squadron might even have worked better.
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

BossMann

Post by BossMann »

AMB wrote:
Wrexham Mackem wrote:
MiG_Eater wrote:I honestly hadn't thought about the Falcons - but imagine if; just as a one off, they'd jumped from an Atlas complete with old-fashioned low, fastpass at the end.

It's this kind of small and relatively easy thing that could have made the difference to the RAF100 theme.

Exactly. Its bad enough that one of the RAF's main display assets wasn't there, but worse that something special could've been made of them. They're even based down the road at Brize.

Makes you wonder whether a group of people representing the RAF's PR and display assets actually got in a conference room, with a whiteboard, and said "right, bear in mind we haven't got a massive budget, but let's have some ideas, lets see what we can do to really put on a show, this show is the big one..".

...and just to rub salt into the wound, looking at the pics from the private Rendcomb show, the leader of the Falcons parachute team carried a huge RAF100 flag whilst trailing smoke from his boots. What sort of priority were the MoD PR thinking of? :whistle:

It is strange that the RAF Falcons were left out of the 'official public RAF 100 celebration' airshow. They were always at RAF Cosford and RAF Waddington, don't know why they were not at RIAT this year.

They did jump out of a USAF C17 in one of the USAF anniversary years at RIAT alongside the USAF Parachute Team 'the Wings of Blue'. They were much better than the USAF team too!

As mentioned above it would have been great a 'special one off for RAF100' if they could have jumped at RIAT using 3 different types on 3 days complete with the old flypast salute at the end - possibly A400M Atlas, C17, Chinook, BBMF Dakota or one of the Hercules to choose from.

However I am sure there are reasons why they never appeared at RIAT..

Mr Benn

Post by Mr Benn »

Spooky , I thought it odd there was no parachute team, but assumed it was something that just didn't happen anymore . Do the Red Devils even still exist ?

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Yes....think their next event is Rhyl Airshow ( 25-26 Aug. )
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

Seahornet

Post by Seahornet »

aviodromefriend wrote: ...Loved it until I fell asleep during Sunday afternoon. Three full days is too much. It has now been tried, and it didn’t work...

The three-day RIAT format didn't work, because one person fell asleep...? :sleepy: Might that just be a little bit of an egocentric view...? :question: :wink:

Personally, I was there for a full seven days, and all my beauty sleep was between 10pm and 6am! :grin:
And as the smart ship grew,
In stature, grace and hue,
In shadowy silent distance grew the iceberg too....

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

Agreed! The 3 day format was excellent.

Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Post by Skyflash »

Seahornet wrote:
aviodromefriend wrote: ...Loved it until I fell asleep during Sunday afternoon. Three full days is too much. It has now been tried, and it didn’t work...

The three-day RIAT format didn't work, because one person fell asleep...? :sleepy: Might that just be a little bit of an egocentric view...? :question: :wink:

Personally, I was there for a full seven days, and all my beauty sleep was between 10pm and 6am! :grin:

6am!? Surely that constitutes a lie-in during RIAT week! :grin:
Posting comments on an aviation-related chatroom, are ya? Looks like it an' all...

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

It does! And 10pm is most definitely a very early night during RIAT week.

Personally, I'm fairly ambivalent about the Friday being a full day flying display. If it had been sunny, and the two weekend days poor we'd be very grateful for it. But full display or half display with arrivals and practices either side - is there really much difference?

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

Aircraft are funny, temperamental things, and having three chances rather than two to see a display is always going to be better.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Might just be me, and the whole live arrivals thing, and my review hat on, and not really feeling my photography this year like last year and all the whole shabang but the Tuesday to Monday left me absolutely flagging. Nucking fackered, I was.

Three full days left me pretty tired, tbf. Wasn't a fan of that over the half-day formula.

I liked the Friday half-day. Most of the "star" items usually have three chances to display over the weekend with that format, and the really relaxed toned-down version of the show worked well. And traffic was a dream, and finishing earlier often allowed some actual time to enjoy the static and chat to crews and what have you. Plus it allows for some of those unable to attend the arrivals days to see some aircraft live that they normally only see on static.

Gonzo230

Post by Gonzo230 »

It certainly felt more than a day longer for us.....I remember shutting down the Tower and driving a group of us back to the hotel on Friday evening, and we all basically said at the same time “is it just me, or does it feel like it should be Monday tomorrow?”

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

Tommy wrote:Might just be me, and the whole live arrivals thing, and my review hat on, and not really feeling my photography this year like last year and all the whole shabang but the Tuesday to Monday left me absolutely flagging. Nucking fackered, I was.

Three full days left me pretty tired, tbf. Wasn't a fan of that over the half-day formula.

I liked the Friday half-day. Most of the "star" items usually have three chances to display over the weekend with that format, and the really relaxed toned-down version of the show worked well. And traffic was a dream, and finishing earlier often allowed some actual time to enjoy the static and chat to crews and what have you. Plus it allows for some of those unable to attend the arrivals days to see some aircraft live that they normally only see on static.

Agreed i was all for the idea of more days. But by midday Saturday i either needed piriton/ a coffee or my bed.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

In recent years, I've often only bothered going into the showground on one day ( and if I thought it was looking to be crap, sometimes not at all )
This year, I bought into the hype/anticipation ( call it what you will ) and did all 3 days.
To be fair, the Friday was somewhat spoilt by the weather, which negated having it as the only day that the special flypast was done, which was really the main reason I went in that day.
But as a whole I didn't think it worthwhile.
There are only so many times you can wander around the static park - especially when most of the aircraft types have been there plenty of times previously - and despite the fact that different Countries were displaying the same aircraft types on different days, the displays weren't varied enough to differentiate between them.
If they ever do a 3-dayer again, the Friday would have to feature a pretty spectacular & unique display line-up before I bothered doing it again.

Thankfully, it looks like they'll be reverting to the normal 2-dayer starting next year.
아직도 숨어있다

Seahornet

Post by Seahornet »

Skyflash wrote:
Seahornet wrote:...all my beauty sleep was between 10pm and 6am! :grin:

6am!? Surely that constitutes a lie-in during RIAT week! :grin:

Wrexham Mackem wrote:It does! And 10pm is most definitely a very early night during RIAT week....

Ah, but you guys don't know just how much I need that beauty sleep...! :shock:
And as the smart ship grew,
In stature, grace and hue,
In shadowy silent distance grew the iceberg too....

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

I don't need beauty sleep, because I look like Robert Redford. :rock:
Or at least that's what the MD of one of the companies in the building I work in said last week.
To be fair, though, she was extremely drunk at the time :lol:
아직도 숨어있다

Big Eric

Post by Big Eric »

Brevet Cable wrote:I don't need beauty sleep, because I look like Robert Redford. :rock:
Or at least that's what the MD of one of the companies in the building I work in said last week.
To be fair, though, she was extremely drunk at the time :lol:

You look like you're 81? :lmao: :lmao:

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

After a few 12-hour night-shifts, I look older than he does!
:biggrin:
아직도 숨어있다

Big Eric

Post by Big Eric »

Brevet Cable wrote:After a few 12-hour night-shifts, I look older than he does!
:biggrin:

Yes, probably!

Anyway, has anyone heard from our friend "Kevyboy" recently? Has he got home from RIAT yet? :grin:

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

He's permanently unable respond to you Eric.

Paul_Reflex

Post by Paul_Reflex »

boff180 wrote:He's permanently unable respond to you Eric.

Just to be clear Andy, you mean on this forum not in general?!

Big Eric

Post by Big Eric »

That's unfortunate for him but excellent news for everyone else. :lol:

Tmyers123

Post by Tmyers123 »

You had someone assassinate him? :lol:

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

He'll probably be resurrected in time for next year's show.
Has he been joined by ' IATthenRIAT'?
아직도 숨어있다

Big Eric

Post by Big Eric »

Brevet Cable wrote:He'll probably be resurrected in time for next year's show.
Has he been joined by ' IATthenRIAT'?

Not to mention "Go4Long" :- viewtopic.php?f=19&t=77969&start=5975

What a dreadful attitude he had to being corrected.