RIAT 2019 wish list

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
edhunter

Re: RIAT 2019 wish list

Post by edhunter »

Abbo46 wrote:And, the RAF don't (currently) have any Tiger squadrons.

Isn't the Puma-hc2 230sqdn a tiger sadness?

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Tmyers123 wrote:RIAT would be the hosts, not the RAF.

Really?

DBH can organise airshows, sure, but is organising and running very complex multi-national military exercise within their remit? Perhaps it is, idk.

Tiger Meets aren't just about the spotter days or public airshows. Actually, thinking of the last couple, particularly this year, the public stuff seems pretty far removed/second fiddle.

If one were to hypothesise, given the RAF and RN's rather telling lack of commitment to NTM over the past decade, decorated (and subsequently hidden from the UK public) Puma this year notwithstanding, that the importance in the Association isn't high up on their priority list these days. It's unlikely 74Sqn will reform, and Benson and Culdrose might just not be suitable to handle the number and/or diversity of machines that are typically generated by an NTM. :dunno:

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Abbo46 wrote:And, the RAF don't (currently) have any Tiger squadrons.

https://www.natotigers.org/tiger-units/230-squadron

Abbo46

Post by Abbo46 »

Completely forgot, cheers Tommy. :up:

Tmyers123

Post by Tmyers123 »

Tommy wrote:Really?

DBH can organise airshows, sure, but is organising and running very complex multi-national military exercise within their remit? Perhaps it is, idk.

I never said the RAF wouldn’t help and that DBH would do literally everything themselves, did I? I said RIAT would be the host, as (apparently) they were the two previous NTMs at the Air Tattoo. Obviously the RAF would play a part but I just don’t see funding being the reason as they wouldn’t be doing everything themselves. Air arms with considerably less funding don’t seem to have an issue with hosting the exercise.

Edit: in case it isn’t clear, I’m not saying If a Tiger Meet was to be held in the UK it would have to be at RIAT, we are discussing who would host if it was at Fairford.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Woah, chill, you don’t need to get defensive, pal. I’m simply asking a question. I don’t know anything about NTM or the expenditure of the RAF or, indeed, if DBH are equipped to handle a modern NTM.

Tmyers123 wrote: Obviously the RAF would play a part but I just don’t see funding being the reason as they wouldn’t be doing everything themselves.

Ok, I’ll refine my point a bit; in terms of hosting a 10-14 day complex military exercise, other than simply possessing the tarmac space (or maybe not even that if the show is at capacity with other aircraft sat there) and fuel, what can DBH really do to take any weight at all from the RAF’s shoulders?

For instance, one would imagine that a simulated DACT/air to air exercise might present problems, given that flare-carrying aircraft aren’t permitted at Fairford during “show mode”. :dunno:

And even through all of that, all farmbroughrob said was “maybe the RAF can’t afford it?” - well, maybe it’s the case that, even with some of the burden shifted from their shoulders by RIAT hosting a modern NTM, they still can’t afford it?

I’m not really disagreeing with you, you just seemed pretty convinced in what you said, so I’m just pondering the finer points of it, which falls under the scope of what is known as a discussion. I’m not sure it’s cost preventing the RAF from hosting it at all, either, but not because RIAT could cover it, but because the RAF’s priorities lie elsewhere at the moment.

Tmyers123

Post by Tmyers123 »

Tommy wrote:Woah, chill, you don’t need to get defensive, pal. I’m simply asking a question.

I’m not even going to ask where you got that from, I’m discussing the topic with you. And as for the smaller details that could prevent Fairford from hosting an NTM, you make a good point and I can’t see one being held at Fairford at least until it can accommodate aircraft carrying flares.

We were simply discussing why there hasn’t been a Tiger Meet in the UK for so long. Apologies if I did seem convinced in what I said, I am not that familiar with NTM as I have never attended but I was just trying to discuss the reasons.

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

RAF and RN have supported NTM exercises for a long time. It may only have been with one, two or three aircraft, but the support is there and to say different just because you can't look past a special schemes is somewhat telling on the aviation community at the moment.

Furthered, the Puma was not "hidden away", no withstanding the fact it wasn't going to be flying in the RAF100 flypast for whatever reason anyway, its current hangared at Benson with some pretty serious tech issues.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Wary of thread drift but;

cg_341 wrote:RAF and RN have supported NTM exercises for a long time. It may only have been with one, two or three aircraft, but the support is there and to say different just because you can't look past a special schemes is somewhat telling on the aviation community at the moment.

I suppose crudely, different to “support is there” is “support is not there”. I don’t think anyone did say different, did they? No one said that the RAF/RN haven’t supported NTMs. Just that by comparison to many other member squadrons, there is a lack of commitment in just one or two airframes attending each year, to say nothing of not hosting the event for 20-odd years. Same could be said for a lot of NTM members. It’s got nothing to do with the special scheme. Just because there isn’t a pretty aeroplane doesn’t mean that the squadron poorly supports NTM. Though obviously financing (or resourcing) a special scheme is obviously one step further than nothing at all.

Just saying that there is a lack of commitment by comparison to many others is not a criticism, just an observation. As I’ve said, it’s telling because it just shows the RN/RAF have other commitments and priorities right now. Which is fine.

cg_341 wrote:Furthered, the Puma was not "hidden away", no withstanding the fact it wasn't going to be flying in the RAF100 flypast for whatever reason anyway, its current hangared at Benson with some pretty serious tech issues.

All right, “kept out of sight”, “kept away from public view”, “has since been inaccessible”, “not been seen since”, call it what you will. No malicious intent behind saying it. The maintenance schedule/task is what’s keeping it out of sight, is all.

I’m not having a go at the RN/RAF. I’m not using this as an opportunity to be a spoilt enthusiast and have a dig because I want to see special schemes. I honestly don’t really care either way all that much insofar as NTM is concerned. I was just trying to explain that the appetite/resources/mood/priorities probably aren’t there to even contemplate hosting an NTM in the U.K., let alone at RIAT, which is the root of the question asked in the first place.

:dunno:

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

Don’t know if i’m reading to much into it but Couteau Delta posted on Instagram saying ‘Last display yesterday, real pleasure those last 2 years’ a goodbye perhaps?

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

You are because what it actually says is "Yesterday last display, today last flight back to Nancy with Couteau Delta Leader call sign... Real pleasure those 2 years!!!"

So you may wish to take a closer look!

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

farnboroughrob wrote:Would love to see some of those Tommy they would make my RIAT. How about French Tucano,

Retired about 9 years ago, so fairly unlikely I'd say. :whistle:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

edhunter

Post by edhunter »

What do you think of the chances of getting the raptor to return for next years show?

If not which demo from usaf do you think is likely to come to next years show?

Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Post by Skyflash »

edhunter wrote:What do you think of the chances of getting the raptor to return for next years show?

If not which demo from USAF do you think is likely to come to next years show?

Literally no-one knows the answer to these questions, and the only people who might have even the faintest inkling at such an early stage (fully 11 months prior to the show), namely the good folks at DBH themselves, would never divulge.

On the F-22 - well, we had it in '16 and '17 and then a break this year, so I suppose next year is a possibility but one mustn't make assumptions.

The one I would dearly love to see back in Europe is the F-15E demo but I'm not even sure if it still exists.
Posting comments on an aviation-related chatroom, are ya? Looks like it an' all...

blackcat

Post by blackcat »

Although it is very Difficult in these times with dwindling aircraft Types and numbers my wish would be for it to be noticeably different to this year and the year before.

Both were great years but also very similar in types of aircarft and i would give it a miss despite really enjoying the last few years but it like a lot of events ( Goodwood festival of speed as another example) end up
just the same stuff as the year before.

Would be nice to see some of demo i guess with pyrotechnics like have been done in the past.

Like i say above it is an amazing show and hats of to all involved but variety is the spice of life so they say.

Mark.

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

Be careful what you wish for. Look at the variety in of the last two years' Biggin Hill shows!

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Skyflash wrote:
edhunter wrote:What do you think of the chances of getting the raptor to return for next years show?

Literally no-one knows the answer to these questions, and the only people who might have even the faintest inkling at such an early stage (fully 11 months prior to the show), namely the good folks at DBH themselves, would never divulge.

On the F-22 - well, we had it in '16 and '17 and then a break this year, so I suppose next year is a possibility but one mustn't make assumptions.

The one I would dearly love to see back in Europe is the F-15E demo but I'm not even sure if it still exists.

There are a couple of good sauces talking about A-10 participation of one form or another next year if it’s of any interest. Which would be top not just for me - it’s my daddies’ favourite, too. :ninja:

flight79

Post by flight79 »

Idian J17 Thunder flying please :smile:

Abbo46

Post by Abbo46 »

I presume you mean Indian? Could be slightly difficult, the Indian Air Force doesn't operate the JF-17.

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

Tommy wrote:
Skyflash wrote:

There are a couple of good sauces talking about A-10 participation of one form or another next year if it’s of any interest. Which would be top not just for me - it’s my daddies’ favourite, too. :ninja:

I just hope to see a return of the Czech Heinz.

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

MiG_Eater wrote:
Tommy wrote:
Skyflash wrote:

I just hope to see a return of the Czech Heinz.

Clearly not being on the forum the last couple of days, I'm playing ketchup here. You can pickle you want, you're gonna dip on something, but I'm still hoping for a Japanese Shin Mahyawa.

Otherwise I'm just settling on Old Warden hosting Fly Gravy IV. :cuppa:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

Tuckat

Post by Tuckat »

Tommy wrote:
Skyflash wrote:

I wouldn't want to be a pesto, but I would relish something from chilli, that would be jus mint :tumbleweed:
Blood, Tears and Folly

Costar1198

Post by Costar1198 »

Something highly unlikely, and an incredibly unusual choice, I would quite like to see a return of the RAF Hawk display, very spirited and really put the jet through it's paces... generally with a very nicely decorated display jet... I can dream :grin:

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

Unfortunately the Hawk display was a decent one, but it's a small aircraft and flown a long way away - it never really packed any punch. With old-style (I mean 1980s style) regulations it would have been decent, but with everything flown the other side of the runway, the Hawk display was always a disappointment for me.

ablearcher

Post by ablearcher »

Hi everyone, I'm a first time poster here so good afternoon!
Been to the last 6 Waddington and 1 RIAT so far and always seem to miss any of the B2 birds so I've persuaded the wife to camp over the weekend so fingers crossed!
Also enjoyed the Harrier display back in the day too.
Thanks for having me along here! :smile:
Andy