RIAT 2019 wish list

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
edhunter

Re: RIAT 2019 wish list

Post by edhunter »

boff180 wrote:Didn’t even know Algeria had Mi-28s :lol:

I don’t think we would see an F-4 demo from those nations though, they don’t display the aircraft and I can’t see them working up a display pilot especially for RIAT.

I'm happy to be proven wrong, but haven't the iraqi air force had some delivered and I know it is a long shot but then dbh do tend to pull the occasional rabbit out of the hat, as an example of this I point to the F-22 over two years which was unprecedented.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Tmyers123 wrote: Probably one of the most unrealistic ones (aside from Iranian Tomcats and Russian Tu-160s ...

...and NATO E-3s). :whistle:

aviodromefriend

Post by aviodromefriend »

HeyfordDave111 wrote:Just another for my wish list.................. how about the Czech (i think it was) Hind Display team? For those that dont know i think i saw them last at RIAT around 1996, and the display consisted of 3 Hinds doing their thing.
Thought they were also there in '97. Anyway, Yesterday I saw a Czech Mi 26-Mi 17 demo at Texel. It was something nice to see, as it was a new demo for me (and a strange sound to hear).
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

NTG1610

Post by NTG1610 »

FarnboroJohn wrote:
MiG_Eater wrote:I don't think that's a wing over. I would call it an oblique loop or a very wide barrel role.

Nevertheless, it is a wingover. The aircraft is never anything like fully inverted. The entry is very steep, the exit is very steep, but it flies round a bit of a bend at perhaps the same angle as the A400M does (remembering that the A400M is a bigger aircraft) and dives out on about the reciprocal of the entry direction: not a loop, oblique or otherwise. It doesn't pull right through (again, never fully inverted let alone inverted on the way right round) so not a barrel roll either.

Looks pretty much fully inverted to me

ImageLockheed Martin LM-100J N5103D by NTG842, on Flickr

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

Camera angles can be deceptive: here's one I prepared earlier which was discussed on here at the time - consensus (with which I agree) was "not inverted" :smile:

Image2014_07_19_Vulcan_Farnborough (2) by John Dixon, on Flickr

But I agree with Brevet, a Herk display like this year's Farnborough one would liven up RIAT.

Witchcraft24

Post by Witchcraft24 »

Looking at the possible, rather than a "la la land" Wishlist:

Fast jets

Polish MIG 29 or SU22 - if the Poles decide to work up a display for either next year (and send it abroad).
Slovak MIG 29 - if the rumours mentioned in other posts regarding the work up of a new display pilot are true. Last Slovak MIG display at RIAT was...?
RSV Tornado - the last one on the display circuit - for how long?
Spanish AV8 - although, apart from Farnborough, has it actually displayed outside of Spain in recent years?
Danish F16 - seems to be the one everyone talks about, and haven't seen it for a number of years.
Romanian Mig21 - if the Romanians decide to work up a display aircraft/pilot next year.
Ukraine SU27 - I think anything else, static or flying, is most unlikely.

Heavies

French Navy Atlantique - This year's rehearsal was excellent.
Danish C130 - Rare outside Denmark - the only C130 display in Europe?
USAF B1 & B52 - Took them for granted for so many years.

Helicopters

Czech Hind

Teams

Iskry haven't been for years.
Turkish Stars - although when they attended in 2008 they wanted the arrestor gear up for every sortie, and there is no longer a PHAG at Fairford.
March Verte - Are they still going?

As for the static - F4 from Turkey and/or Greece (although I note that neither country provided anything for static this year - budget cuts?)
AV8 from Italy and/or Spain
SU22 from Poland

AMB

Post by AMB »

Witchcraft24 wrote:
Teams

Turkish Stars - although when they attended in 2008 they wanted the arrestor gear up for every sortie, and there is no longer a PHAG at Fairford.

US Navy " Blue Angels" - not seen in UK since 1973 with F-4 Phantoms!!!
Adrian

CJS

Post by CJS »

AMB wrote:
Witchcraft24 wrote:
Teams

That's one display team I would have liked to have seen!! Did anyone on here remember the Phantom B Blue angels? How aerobatic was their display?
Buy the sky and sell the sky and lift your arms up to the sky and ask the sky"

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

AMB wrote:
Witchcraft24 wrote:
Teams

Apart from 1992 at Finningley with F-18s. :dunno: (Unless you mean personally, but you don't quote that)
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

Chrisse

Post by Chrisse »

capercaillie wrote:
AMB wrote:

Apart from 1992 at Finningley with F-18s. :dunno: (Unless you mean personally, but you don't quote that)

To be fair, they haven't been seen with Phantoms in the UK since 1973 :grin:

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

Regardless they are long overdue an appearance in the UK!

Roughcutter

Post by Roughcutter »

Pair of Scooters :whistle:

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

Isreali 707 and pair of camo F15’s.
Yeah i know i’m more likely to see a topside from the Stratolaunch but it is a wishlist eh!

Abbo46

Post by Abbo46 »

French C-135, E-3 & Mirage 2000C on static would do nicely. :up:

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

I've said this a few times, but there really is an absolute plethora of stuff on our doorstep. Yeah, it's cool to chat about China, or South Korea or whatever, but seriously, just in Europe some items that could be considered "juicy" that havent attended before or have not for, say, the last 5 years at least is a pretty hefty list.

Just sat here thinking about it, off the top of my head (apologies if retirements or whatever have occurred or anything below is actually common as muck these days and I'm talking toilets)

Norway:
P-3,
Sea King,
Merlin (either those delivered, or one of those being built in Yeovil),
Bell 412,
F-35,
even the dinky Safaris!

Sweden:
Saab 105,
(whatever the Hkp designations are) UH-60,
A109,
NH-90
Saab 340.

I *think* the MD-500s are still in service with the Finnish Army?

Portugal:
F-16,
AW/EH-101,
Alouette are still around, aren't they? Or, again,
P-3

Spain, oh my god, Spain. Was so good to see those SF-5Ms back in 2015. :love:
AV-8
AB212
SH-60
Hughes 500
CL215/415,
Super Puma/Cougar
C-130
Non-Pat. Ag. C-101
Tigre
NH-90
CH-47

In Germany:
CH-53,
NH-90,
Tiger,
UH-1N(?)

Italy:
NH-500
A129
AV-8
NH-90
CH-47
Things like Guardia di Finanza or Carabinieri or Forestale AB412s

Denmark:
Fennec
Home Guard Defender
MH-60R

Irish Air Corps Cessna 172? :hide:

France:
Caracal
E-3F
C-135FR
Panther
E-2C
Tigre
NH-90

Austria:
Alouette
Typhoon
PC-9

Even Dutch Cougars are rare as balls these days

Aaaaaand a great many more I either can't think of or can't be bothered to continue to list. Y'all get my gist. Point is, it's great to dream about stuff from shores far away, but there's plenty of stuff from right on our doorstep that'll satisfy most. Even in the UK a couple of things would be awesome. Was great seeing the RC-135 this year. Are the FOST Dauphins still around?

That's obviously not my wishlist, but I think even a few of those rarer items would be really awesome to see next year. My consistency in listing designations/names is probably all over the place, too. Eehhhh you all know what I mean. :hide:

farnboroughrob

Post by farnboroughrob »

Would love to see some of those Tommy they would make my RIAT. How about Belgian PA-18, French Tucano, Jodel D140, Spanish Baron, Portuguese TB-30, German and Italian Helicopters, the Spanish helicopter team, Turkish T-38, Greek Buckeye, and I say it every year Polish Seasprite! I know most of you love fast jets and the statics are just meh. Some of us want to see rare aircraft, flying or not, it matters not to me. Airforces are getting less and less diverse so it would be good to catch some of these types now.

HeyfordDave111

Post by HeyfordDave111 »

maybe a Polish hind?

I would love RIAT to concentrate on a 'filling the gaps' theme of these type and country, even if it meant certain display teams didn't come.

the trouble is, i'm sure they are asking, but not getting, as an F-18 for example, is more glamorous to a Spanish sender of aircraft than a dirty F-5

Mind you looking at other UK airshow threads, maybe a theme of a squadron number so those squadrons get invited? simplistic i know, but just a thought.
Got to love Russianhardware

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

farnboroughrob wrote:I know most of you love fast jets and the statics are just meh. Some of us want to see rare aircraft, flying or not, it matters not to me.

:up: I prefer variety rather than rows of the same aircraft type - unless it's a specific theme that year - in static & multiple displays by the same type of aircraft.
Granted DBH are at the mercy of what the individual Countries want to send, but I'd like to see something besides the ubiquitous F-16 & F-18 displays, or Apaches & Chinooks for helicopter displays.
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

Tmyers123

Post by Tmyers123 »

Brevet Cable wrote: :up: I prefer variety rather than rows of the same aircraft type - unless it's a specific theme that year - in static & multiple displays by the same type of aircraft.
Granted DBH are at the mercy of what the individual Countries want to send, but I'd like to see something besides the ubiquitous F-16 & F-18 displays, or Apaches & Chinooks for helicopter displays.

Suit yourself, I’m just hoping there actually is an Apache display next year.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

I'd rather see a Hind display making a re-appearance.
Or a decent CA role demo rather than what's been touted as 'role demos' in the past, which are invariably just the normal display routine with a few mis-timed pyros thrown in.
Take a leaf out of Yeovilton's book & have it as a big show-closer on both days.
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

farnboroughrob

Post by farnboroughrob »

I do feel the whole idea of having themes seems to have faded into the background? We had the type themes(Hunter, Phanton, dakota Hercules etc) and the likes of Sea Search at STAR(Strike aTack and Reconnaissance) but those sort of themes have gone out of the window? Get a similar class of aircraft together so crews can get together etc seems to have gone? I would love to see some imagination but DBH can't waive a magic wand. Would love to see a 5 Herc/C-17/A400 static line para drop, a Typhoon/F-16/F-22 QRA scramble, in flight refuel demos, and some other role demos. Why does there never seem to be a Tiger Meet in the UK that could be Incorporated?

Tmyers123

Post by Tmyers123 »

farnboroughrob wrote:I do feel the whole idea of having themes seems to have faded into the background? We had the type themes(Hunter, Phanton, dakota Hercules etc) and the likes of Sea Search at STAR(Strike aTack and Reconnaissance) but those sort of themes have gone out of the window? Get a similar class of aircraft together so crews can get together etc seems to have gone? I would love to see some imagination but DBH can't waive a magic wand. Would love to see a 5 Herc/C-17/A400M static line para drop, a Typhoon/F-16/F-22 QRA scramble, in flight refuel demos, and some other role demos. Why does there never seem to be a Tiger Meet in the UK that could be Incorporated?

There has been, twice at IAT.

farnboroughrob

Post by farnboroughrob »

I have had a look at the last tiger meets at fairford were 91 and 97, hardly current. Since then France has hosted 4, Norway 3, Spain and Germany 2. Every major nato nation apart from Italy has held one sine we last did. maybe the RAF can't afford it?

Tmyers123

Post by Tmyers123 »

That wouldn’t make a difference as RIAT would be the hosts, not the RAF.

Abbo46

Post by Abbo46 »

And, the RAF don't (currently) have any Tiger squadrons.