RIAT - post 2022

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
MiG_Eater

RIAT - post 2022

Post by MiG_Eater »

Some speculation on Fightercontrol suggests that the USAF may be unwilling to allow RIAT to be held at Fairford after the Rivet Joints arrive.

I doubt anyone knows anything concrete, but its a frightening thought... I'm sure i'm not alone in RIAT being my favourite week of the year and if there's truth in the rumours, and if RAFCTE can't find a suitable new venue, RIAT really could be consigned to the past.

Brevet Cable

Re: RIAT - post 2022

Post by Brevet Cable »

FC are slow on the uptake if they've only started discussing that now.....it was discussed on here back in July! :lol:
http://forums.airshows.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=81685&hilit=2022
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

Have the USAF said anything? or is this all pure speculation?

138EAW

Post by 138EAW »

Brevet Cable wrote:FC are slow on the uptake if they've only started discussing that now.....it was discussed on here back in July! :lol:

If you want to be pedantic, the FC thread has been running since January 2015 when the future of Mildenhall was announced and RIAT was mentioned on page 2 :wink:
Gary

jingernut

Post by jingernut »

138EAW wrote:If you want to be pedantic

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Wrexham Mackem wrote:Have the USAF said anything? or is this all pure speculation?

The USAF confirmed the relocation of the RC-135 and associated intelligence units to RAF Fairford earlier this week.

The issue with 2022 going forward is going to be an accommodation one for show volunteers which I am sure DBH will work with the USAF on, it is far too early to tell what will happen in this regards or to publicly speculate what will happen.

There are no married quarters (that I can remember) at Fairford spare as they are all used by the RAF for Brize, there are only a few main blocks within Site 14 plus some ancillary barrack blocks (which DBH easily fill each year) - it is an area that needs refurbishment and expansion to cope with the USAF anyway.

I understand (but I stress that this is not confirmed) that towards the end of 2019 and during 2020 there are/were planned works to extend the runway ready for RC-135 ops with new over/under runs. If (and I stress if) anything had a potential to have a negative effect on upcoming shows - this would be it.

Andy

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

Brevet Cable wrote:FC are slow on the uptake if they've only started discussing that now.....it was discussed on here back in July! :lol:

Wow... I started that thread... short memory or what.

Time will tell I guess!

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

On the BBC website today:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-46237845

And on this forum is at least one link to all the work that's due to be carried out at Fairford....try this topic : http://forums.airshows.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=77352
아직도 숨어있다

Go4Long

Post by Go4Long »

I think this is all unnecessary speculation at this point. As for hosting an airshow at an operational base with sensitive work being performed, barksdale hosts a show, they have 75’000 people stationed there and are the home of global strike command.

I don’t think there’s anything to worry about.

harkins

Post by harkins »

How many RC-135s are we talking about being based a Fairford? Three maybe? I can't see that being a problem, especially as the number of aircraft attending RIAT is in an overall downward trend.

edhunter

Post by edhunter »

harkins wrote:How many RC-135s are we talking about being based a Fairford? Three maybe? I can't see that being a problem, especially as the number of aircraft attending RIAT is in an overall downward trend.

There was a rumour that the RAF and USAF were going to base the Rc-135's together at the same base not sure if this is still the case.

harkins

Post by harkins »

Really? That'd be interesting in that it would leave RAF Waddington doing very little when the Sentinel and E-3s are retired; especially as there is talk of the P-8s taking over their roles. Mind you, a significant investment in the runway at an RAF base is usually a precursor to base closure isn't it?

The drone stuff could be operated out a small rented office space somewhere. I wonder if a drone 'pilot' has ever worked from home? Can just imagine it, "sorry boss, but I've had to pick my child up from school as they're not well, so I'll be working from home today".

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

아직도 숨어있다

Finningley Boy

Post by Finningley Boy »

Unnecessary speculation is a hallmark of forums like UKAR. Everyone likes to claim that they're on the inside track on issues even before they before there's any evidence for concern. Fairford has long been a USAF base and has for many years had to be up to standard to take (as has been the case a few times) long term deployment of B-52s, Tankers etc. That very role, if a standby one, would be sufficient to prompted the US Defence Department to veto any airshows . There is, of course, the ending of the Mildenhall Air Fete in the light of 911 to consider. However, I think the USAF were looking to return the airshow by 2005 but concluded that much of the experience gained and continuity maintained had dissipated too far for the event to be resumed without a undesirable degree of disruption. The suggestion of runway resurfacing and restructuring is most likely to cause problems. RIAT have already set dates for 2020, mind so did the Scampton team, but I'm sure the circumstances of the two are entirely different. I would imagine that if it comes to either a temporary move, or permanent one, again, then a suitable venue will already be looked for. My own suggestions would be Odiham, Boscombe Down and some more outrageous options; Leeming or even someplace like Wattisham or, if we're prepared to regard the whole UK as worthy of presenting possible venues for consideration (and don't all groan or laugh at once), Leuchars? The latter two being subject to the goodwill of the Army I'm sure. Otherwise, there aint nuttin!

FB
I have danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings!

DOUGHNUT

Post by DOUGHNUT »

RIAT moved to Cottesmore for a couple of years because Fairford was unavailable due to building works. It can move again, problem now is the huge reduction in available military airfields and is some cases their proximity to built up areas restricting the flying display.

Ouragan

Post by Ouragan »

Go4Long wrote:I think this is all unnecessary speculation at this point. As for hosting an airshow at an operational base with sensitive work being performed, barksdale hosts a show, they have 75’000 people stationed there and are the home of global strike command.

I don’t think there’s anything to worry about.

And Barksdale is in the United States, which is a wholly different thing to a base located overseas. My own thoughts concern the security angle of hosting an event such as RIAT on an active RC-135 base. I know that during Air Fete weekend the RC/EC element boltholed to Lakenheath, but it has to be said that it was during a different century. Many things have changed since then.

Let's hope all works out well and RIAT will remain at Fairford for many years to come, but at the same time be prepared for a lot of changes.