Favourite Aircraft At Riat?

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
edhunter

Favourite Aircraft At Riat?

Post by edhunter »

What has is your favourite aircraft that has appeared at Riat?

mine is b-1

MiG_Eater

Re: Favourite Aircraft At RIAT?

Post by MiG_Eater »

You mean of all time or just 2018?

I guess of all time it would have to be the Tu-95, for its rarity, impressiveness, historical significance and sound.

2018 - easily the Su-27!

edhunter

Post by edhunter »

of all time

Big Eric

Post by Big Eric »

The Grasshoppers display team with their Alouette IIIs. :love:

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

RIAT ‘11 Embrear 195 takes some beating.

On a real note probs the Polish pair at RIAT’14.
B-52/B-1B/F-15E 2007.
& Mig-29OVT 2006.

Can’t name one.

Tmyers123

Post by Tmyers123 »

B-2A, without a doubt.

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

I've only been once but the B2 has to be the top of the list for flying alongside BBMF Lancaster & Sally B

On the ground probably the F4 Phantom

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Another vote for the Mig-29OVT....showing the Americans how vectored thrust should be done. :biggrin:
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

Rick

Post by Rick »

Brevet Cable wrote:Another vote for the Mig-29OVT....showing the Americans how vectored thrust should be done. :biggrin:

+ 1 :clap:
Slackers of the World unite !
Tomorrow.

Andyph

Post by Andyph »

SR-71
Mig-23
Tu-95
EA-3B Skywarrior
F-8 Crusader
Mirage 4

Been a bit flat since the mid 90s

speedbird2639

Post by speedbird2639 »

Andyph wrote:SR-71

Can't disagree with that. The computerisation of aircraft design might have led to a better outcome when they are put to use in conflicts but from the enthusiasts point of view its led to a loss of inventive or original designs and all the outputs being a bit beige and 'meh!'.

That and the constant pressure on defence budgets has meant that anything 'unusual' or non-standard has been rushed into retirement such as the Harrier which had hundreds of millions spent refitting the fleet and then they were flogged off for a pittance to the Yanks to break up for spares.

Go4Long

Post by Go4Long »

Only been coming for the last 3 years.

Favourite Aircraft? SU-27

Favourite Demo? Mirage 2000N

I love the B-2, but I've seen it quite a few times now at various shows.

Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Post by Skyflash »

The MiG-29OVT is by some distance the most spectacular display we've had at RIAT in the modern (i.e. post-glory days) era.

Its manoeuvres were just insane, that 'enhanced cobra' where it ended up basically hovering with its nose pointing backwards relative to the direction of flight was one of the most bonkers thing I've seen in a fast-jet demo.

Other than a Su-35 demo (and we ain't getting one of those in Western Europe any time soon) I can't really think of anything which comes close. I strongly suspect that the F-22 is capable of most of those manoeuvres, but the Americans favour a 'tactical demonstration' approach to display flying which means that we're unlikely to see a Raptor display to its full aerobatic potential.
Posting comments on an aviation-related chatroom, are ya? Looks like it an' all...

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

Can't disagree with anything you've said Skyflash :up:

CJS

Post by CJS »

speedbird2639 wrote:
Andyph wrote:SR-71

Can't disagree with that. The computerisation of aircraft design might have led to a better outcome when they are put to use in conflicts but from the enthusiasts point of view its led to a loss of inventive or original designs and all the outputs being a bit beige and 'meh!'.

That and the constant pressure on defence budgets has meant that anything 'unusual' or non-standard has been rushed into retirement such as the Harrier which had hundreds of millions spent refitting the fleet and then they were flogged off for a pittance to the Yanks to break up for spares.

The SR-71 has always been a bit flat.

For its display, I'd go for the B-1b I think.
Just for knowing I've seen it fly, the F-117.
Buy the sky and sell the sky and lift your arms up to the sky and ask the sky"

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Skyflash wrote:I strongly suspect that the F-22 is capable of most of those manoeuvres

Doesn't the OVT use a more sophisticated system than the F-22 ... 3-dimensional as opposed to 2-dimensional, isn't it ?
아직도 숨어있다

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Valmet Redigo.

One off, never to be repeated debut from the Finnish Air Force. They way it effortlessly soared in over the approach and then parked with distinction among the toilet cubicles, another great part of RIAT tradition of course. Pure class. :up:

Then again it probably doesn't count as it was only IAT still then, so all you SR-71 and Bear lovers :tongue2: :butt:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Post by Skyflash »

Brevet Cable wrote:
Skyflash wrote:I strongly suspect that the F-22 is capable of most of those manoeuvres

Doesn't the OVT use a more sophisticated system than the F-22 ... 3-dimensional as opposed to 2-dimensional, isn't it ?

Indeed, however those of us lucky enough to witness the first ever Raptor demo at RIAT (on the rainy Friday in 2008) got more of a glimpse of its capabilities than in subsequent years. That first demo was a lot more dynamic than now, they've toned it down quite considerably over the years into something which is more like a 'standard' US demo (don't get me wrong, it's still an awesome machine).

On the basis of that first display, there's a lot more to the Raptor than we are now seeing, some of which is a bit more OVT-esque.
Posting comments on an aviation-related chatroom, are ya? Looks like it an' all...

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Skyflash wrote:however those of us lucky enough to witness the first ever Raptor demo at RIAT (on the rainy Friday in 2008)

:wave:
:biggrin:
아직도 숨어있다

flight79

Post by flight79 »

the SU 22 Fitters that left on departure day in 2016 very memorable on how loud they was other than that the French air force Vought F-8 Crusader pair

bigcrow

Post by bigcrow »

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

Skyflash wrote:Indeed, however those of us lucky enough to witness the first ever Raptor demo at RIAT (on the rainy Friday in 2008) got more of a glimpse of its capabilities than in subsequent years. That first demo was a lot more dynamic than now, they've toned it down quite considerably over the years into something which is more like a 'standard' US demo (don't get me wrong, it's still an awesome machine).

On the basis of that first display, there's a lot more to the Raptor than we are now seeing, some of which is a bit more OVT-esque.

This is very true. In fact, the 2010 showing was also akin to the 2008 one - the last couple of showings have been, although great, a sequence of separate manoeuvres rather than the continuous turning, burning spectacle of the first two appearances. Like you say though, still impressive.

As for my favourite over the years... that takes some doing. I loved the French Navy Crusader, all of the Russian stuff, Concorde, our own Lightning, the Aussie F1-11, the list could be endless. But to nominate one I'm with Stu. Blackbird.

James1971

Post by James1971 »

The Mig 29 OVT was something special indeed.

The F-117/Reds flypast was pretty cool to see
James

Canon EOS R
Canon RF 16mm
Canon RF 24-105mm
Canon RF 50mm
Canon EF 70-200 f4
Canon RF 100-400mm
Canon RF 800mm

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

i've only been going a few years, but the plane that really gets me tingling is the Su-27. I also love the A400 as well.

best display team for me is SoloTurk, although it wasn't the same without the commentator this year

spellow3010

Post by spellow3010 »

Lovely idea for a thread - thumbs up to the right honourable poster.

Really difficult to nail this one down I'm afraid for me.

I am kind of torn between the French Navy Crusader Pair in 1999 and the Polish Fitters of 2014. Whilst the French AF Mirage 2000 pairs (of differing marks) over the last four seasons have been stunning, some of the older skool stuff seems to linger longer in my memory. The Mig-29OVT - was mesmeric.

That said, the amazing amount of 'free' U2 action in 2017 we were treated to during RIAT week shouldn't be underestimated. Considering what the aircraft are, and what they do, it was an amazing opportunity to see so much U2 action on what was effectively a 'public' airfield during that week.

If I was given the opportunity to go back and re-live one RIAT moment (I've only been a regular since 1998) then it would be the Kev Rumens Vulcan moment in 2015 (Saturday). I witnessed that from the Viewing Village, totally open mouthed. I thought he was going in - but what do I know about aircraft performance? If ever they invent time travel, I will join the queue to go back to that moment, but choose to see it from Rhymes!! :up:

Good thread, have enjoyed reading.
Now officially qualifies as a 'regular' at Famous Dave's - El Centro