Let's see some Phantoms at RIAT

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
tomkil

Let's see some Phantoms at RIAT

Post by tomkil »

I see the Japanese have finally retired their Phantoms and I wonder whether RIAT hasn't missed a trick the past few years. Okay we've seen them in the static - alongside the Greek Corsairs for example - but wouldn't it have been great to have seen them perform at the show, even if only a few spirited flypasts?

Anyway, just in case anyone was in any doubt about how wonderful it would have been to see them in the air, have a look at this:

https://youtu.be/wfc7qBVplxQ

Is there anyone else still flying them and is there any way we could get them to bring them over to Fairford?

Tom

tomkil

Re: Let's see some Phantoms at RIAT

Post by tomkil »

Scrub the question - I know I've asked it before.

But do take a look at the video!

Abbo46

Post by Abbo46 »

No idea why this isn't in the RIAT section. (it is now - mod :up: )

Turkey, Greece, Japan, South Korea and Iran still operate the F-4, the former two the only likely attendees at RIAT.

CJS

Post by CJS »

Abbo46 wrote:... the former two the only likely attendees at RIAT.

Understatement of the day, right there!

There's also at least one privately owned and displayed in the US I believe, not that that's any more likely to rock up at RIAT than a Korean or Iranian one!

We're flipping lucky to have had any at RIAT at all over the last few years, and if (massive if) they ever took part in some kind of flypasts, the likelihood would be that we wouldn't see them on static display as well.

But, for sure, it would o f course (UKAR filter changed that to have course for some odd reason, hence the extra space...) be terrific if they ever did again.

As Abbo says though, it will only ever be Greek or Turkish ones. Once they've gone I would suggest the chance becomes essentially zero.
Buy the sky and sell the sky and lift your arms up to the sky and ask the sky"