The jubilee garden or the public grandstand?

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
Agg
UKAR Staff

The jubilee garden or the public grandstand?

Post by Agg »

The mrs. and I will be heading out to the RIAT this year, this will be my second time attending the RIAT (and the mrs's first), the first being in 2006, and Im having some trouble deciding what sort of tickets to buy. Seing as we will be flying in from Norway we'll only be able to attend the RIAT on the two show days, so I guess the FRIAT packages would be a waste of money, but what about the public grandstand or the jubilee garden? Which of these would be the best bet for a photographer? In 2006 I just placed myself in a lawn chair along the crowd line, but I really like the fact that you have reserved seats in the public grandstand and the jubilee garden and can come and go as you wish throughout the day, it sure makes enjoying the static display a whole lot easier.

Ive been trying to find pictures taken from, and of, of both the public grandstand and the jubilee garden to help me decide which tickets I should go for, but I havent had much luck witht that, so I hope some of you RIAT veterans can help me out. :)

vulcan57

Re: The jubilee garden or the public grandstand?

Post by vulcan57 »

I have never used the Jubilee Garden, but have always had one day in the public grandstand out of the two that I attend. The following were taken from the grandstand in 2007.

Hope this will give you some idea of the photo chances from there.

Agg
UKAR Staff

Post by Agg »

It certainly did :)

The public grandstand is looking pretty sweet, but I remember reading somewhere that most of the people using the public grandstand arent photographers themselves, and might not be to thrilled with people standing up in the grandstand to take pictures, but I guess that's not a problem if you get there early and get a seat near the back, or am I wrong?

Eizo

Post by Eizo »

Agg wrote:It certainly did :)

The public grandstand is looking pretty sweet, but I remember reading somewhere that most of the people using the public grandstand arent photographers themselves, and might not be to thrilled with people standing up in the grandstand to take pictures, but I guess that's not a problem if you get there early and get a seat near the back, or am I wrong?

AFAIK the grandstand seats are reserved to the MACH Tickets 1-3 and other tickets. Mach 2 is for example middle-seat in grandstand, Mach 3 provides elevated seat in grandstand.

Chrisse

Post by Chrisse »

The grandstand and FRIAT stands are 2 separate things, there is a public grandstand which you can get access for for about £20 in addition the your entry ticket. The RIAT front line is a collection of 'special opportunities' that come at an additional cost, but that in turn makes the 'regular' viewing opportunities more space-limited. It allows more people to live the day the way they choose to with various different opportunities, there is something to be said for their choice of business model, though I suppose for your average enthusiast it can be a bit frustrating.

Eizo

Post by Eizo »

So you mean the FRIAT grandstand is smaller? I did not really get the meaning of: "special opportunities" ? :question: I thought grandstand = grandstand....

rpstewart

Post by rpstewart »

The FRIAT grandstand is bigger than the public one IIRC.

What Chrisse means by "special opportunities" are the various viewing areas which extend down to the crowdline and hence limit the length of rope available for the entry ticket alone. For example the FRIAT area, the public grandstand/jubilee garden, BAe hospitality, the new Flight Deck enclosure etc all take up space on the crowdline which push admission only ticket holders into the rest of the space.

That said in 2007 it was at least 0930 on the Sunday morning before there were more than a handful of people at the far eastern end of the crowdline. It might not be the best place to see whole displays but great for takeoffs, landings and taxiing to and from the display aircraft ramp (although you won't get the taxiing this year due to the on base car parking)

Eizo

Post by Eizo »

Ok, thanks!

Chrisse

Post by Chrisse »

rpstewart wrote:The FRIAT grandstand is bigger than the public one IIRC.

What Chrisse means by "special opportunities" are the various viewing areas which extend down to the crowdline and hence limit the length of rope available for the entry ticket alone. For example the FRIAT area, the public grandstand/jubilee garden, BAe hospitality, the new Flight Deck enclosure etc all take up space on the crowdline which push admission only ticket holders into the rest of the space.

That said in 2007 it was at least 0930 on the Sunday morning before there were more than a handful of people at the far eastern end of the crowdline. It might not be the best place to see whole displays but great for takeoffs, landings and taxiing to and from the display aircraft ramp (although you won't get the taxiing this year due to the on base car parking)

I couldn't have said it better myself. If I could, I'd have done it :grin:

Martin the Martian

Post by Martin the Martian »

Stuck my neck out this year and ordered seats for me and Mrs. Martian in the public grandstand on Sunday. I understand it's a case of first come, first served, particularly if you want a seat at the back.

Mrs. Martian is very happy as she doesn't have to carry her own seat in, and there are toilets within the grandstand area. As we've gone up to the eastern end in the past, she's looking forward to not having to hike halfway across the airfield to find a queue with a toilet attached. I'm happy as I will not have to persuade her that carrying my seat in as well as her own is a good idea.
50 Shades of Grey: sounds like a paint chart for modern jets

lisa34

Post by lisa34 »

Me, my husband, my mum and dad and two friends of ours have all booked tickets for the jubillee gardens, we had tickets for them two years ago and the jubillee garden is fantastic, have also had tickets for the grand stand a few years back and that was brilliant two.

Its count down time now, I and I know a few thousand others just pray for nice weather.

Agg
UKAR Staff

Post by Agg »

So what you're saying is that its basically the same if we choose the grand stand or the jubilee garden? I think we'll be going for the jubilee garden, deckchairs sounds a bit more appealing than plastic(?) grand stand seats. And I'm guessing that photography wont be a problem as long as we get there nice and early and get a seat up front :)

lisa34

Post by lisa34 »

Both are really good. I guess some people like the grandstand and others will prefer the jubillee garden. You can get excellent photos from both areas. We have a photgraph from two years ago of the red arrows doing the battle of britain and by that time we had gone out of the jubillee garden had a look around, come back, we had deck chairs at the back to watch the battle of britain and the photo is one of the best we have ever taken.

Agg
UKAR Staff

Post by Agg »

Sounds good, we'll be going for the Jubilee Garden then, a pity that the shoow is still a couple of months away :P

jwarnerxh558

Post by jwarnerxh558 »

only 66 days til arrivals start and 69 days til the show :yahoo:
but whos counting??? lol :grin:

lisa34

Post by lisa34 »

I think everyone is desperately waiting for RIAT to arrive this year, im so looking forward to it. These next few months will go so quick dont worry.

:clap: :smile:

tomw94

Post by tomw94 »

lisa34 wrote:I think everyone is desperately waiting for RIAT to arrive this year, im so looking forward to it. These next few months will go so quick dont worry.

i am cant waot as i am in grandstand :yahoo: but the show so far is a bit :tumbleweed:

tomw94

Post by tomw94 »

tomw94 wrote:
lisa34 wrote:I think everyone is desperately waiting for RIAT to arrive this year, im so looking forward to it. These next few months will go so quick dont worry.

i am cant waot as i am in grandstand :yahoo: but the show so far is a bit :tumbleweed:

wait*

Manonthefence

Post by Manonthefence »

Tom, if you look in the top right hand corner of your post you will see a button marked "Edit", now be a good boy and go and learn what this means rather than trying to bump your post total up :kiss:

tomw94

Post by tomw94 »

Manonthefence wrote:Tom, if you look in the top right hand corner of your post you will see a button marked "Edit", now be a good boy and go and learn what this means rather than trying to bump your post total up :kiss:

i didnt even notice that so sorry and what dweeb would want to bumb his post total up, maybe you.. :grin: