Why Mil helo's

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
SPLAT

Why Mil helo's

Post by SPLAT »

Why are Mil helicopters being purchased for the Afghan's.
It is always mentioned about heat and altitude , but surely Merlins or UH60's could do the job?
Other Arab countries use the H60 variants,
It is also the same argument for using AN32's.
It's unusual for the west to not sell their own goods.

Martin the Martian

Re: Why Mil helo's

Post by Martin the Martian »

They are cheap, sturdy and don't have all the bells and whistles, so are easy to maintain.

Sort of makes you wonder why we don't buy them for ourselves... :question:
50 Shades of Grey: sounds like a paint chart for modern jets

Aerodynamik

Post by Aerodynamik »

I work with an ex-RAF pilot who flew SF missions in Afghanistan in the Mi-17. He reckons that helicopter beats anything the West has in almost every area, such as robustness, performance, reliability and price.

Flankerman

Post by Flankerman »

Why buy a Rolls Royce - when a Toyota pickup will do the job ???

There is one interesting Mi-17 though - the VIP variant specially modified for President Karzai....

There are three Mi-17 VIP 'Salon' versions in the Presidential fleet - two 'normal' ones coded 587 & 589 - and one coded 588.

588 has a stretched rear fuselage - and was first built 25 years ago in Russia as a Mi-18.

It has turned up in Afghanistan, modified by a Czech firm, with a luxurious interior and all sorts of ESM fittings.

Mystery surrounds who funded it - and how it went from Russia, to the Czech Republic and then to Afghanistan.

I made a model of it recently by converting the Hobby Boss kit....

This shot shows the extended rear fuselage when compared to a 'standard' Hip....

Ken

TonyO

Post by TonyO »

When the Project Curium crews were training Afghan airmen on the Mi-17 they were regularly getting four sorties a day without a single issue, virtually impossible on a Merlin!
Do you want the Aladeen news or the Aladeen news?

Arthur Tee

Post by Arthur Tee »

TonyO wrote:When the Project Curium crews were training Afghan airmen on the Mi-17 they were regularly getting four sorties a day without a single issue, virtually impossible on a Merlin!

True - but think how far that Merlin can fly in that one 'serviceable' sortie... :biggrin:

Arthur
Canon PowerShot SX40HS - It's not what you've got - it's what you do with it!

Flankerman

Post by Flankerman »

Arthur Tee wrote:True - but think how far that Merlin can fly in that one 'serviceable' sortie... :biggrin:
Arthur

No problem..... strap on a few extra fuel tanks to a Mi-8.....

Dunno what the max range is though......

Ken

A40-BP

Post by A40-BP »

Both the Mi-17 and AN-32 were designed to operate with hot and high envirnments from the outset, whereas the Merlin was designed to operate in europe. The H-60 is far more expensive than a Mi-17, plus the latter has a greater payload if i remember correctly. With transports, the AN-32 works at its best in hot and high climates, so its a done deal from the outset.

With dumb bombs and retarded bomblets, why don't they just use stupid missiles?

Flankerman

Post by Flankerman »

A40-BP wrote:Both the Mi-17 and AN-32 were designed to operate with hot and high envirnments from the outset,

The An-32 was actually designed to an Indian AF requirement - as you say for a Hot-and-High environment.

That's why it has uprated engines mounted on top of the wing - to provide clearance for the bigger props.

Only about 50 ever saw service with the Russians - and they were later sold off.

They were mainly used by India, but also in small numbers by others such as Afghanistan, Peru, Zambia etc.

I sneaked off these photos at Lima airport - through the aircraft and terminal windows....

Ken

Epic Formacion

Post by Epic Formacion »

I watch these guys op out of Kabul. They climb like home sick angels with their butts on fire....

Nice heads up on '588, I will keep an eye out.

Flankerman

Post by Flankerman »

Epic Formacion wrote:Nice heads up on '588, I will keep an eye out.

Any photos would be nice - without getting arrested of course !!!!

Especially any that compare it with a 'standard' Mi-17 - like 587 & 589

Ken