D-day stripes

Re: D-day stripes

Postby Rich.B on Mon 20 May 2019, 7:31 pm

The D,Day invasion stripe Herc flew into the UK today.
Not sure if there is 3 of them painted.
Guess the A10s will be over soon.
Does look like the USA are going big on this celebration.
Rich.B

Postby Roughcutter on Wed 22 May 2019, 3:38 am

Not PC, I reckon even the Germans could be persuaded to put stripes on their aircraft, before the RAF would do anything. Pathetic
a woman phoned the BBC to say that "a hurricane is on the way" Well if you're listening, don't worry it isn't.
Roughcutter

Postby lozza on Thu 23 May 2019, 9:37 pm

Glad its not just me ashamed that no apparent effort has been made by the RAF.
lozza

Postby GertrudetheMerciless on Fri 24 May 2019, 12:02 am

HeyfordDave111 wrote:
I know i'm exaggerating but at the moment it looks like pretty much every country in the world is making an effort except the UK?

Whats up boys? so devoid of passion for your forefathers fantastic deeds, you just shrug and go 'me-h'?
Where is the passion? Although granted that might have been beaten out of you.
Yes i know its the mucky mucks that make these decisions, but as loads have been so painted and shown off, dont you think a leak here and there to the newspapers, and perhaps some questions in the house might just get them off their jacksies?

Apart from the minor detail that we operate a permanent memorial flight, a thing that the majority of air forces do not on any great scale.
GertrudetheMerciless

Postby Tommy on Fri 24 May 2019, 7:32 am

Have we seen this one? Edit - yes we have. But pics posted for posterity in any event:

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Postby starbuck on Fri 24 May 2019, 8:01 am

GertrudetheMerciless wrote:
Apart from the minor detail that we operate a permanent memorial flight, a thing that the majority of air forces do not on any great scale.

That would be a fair point if the RAF never did any specials at any other anniversary or squadron commemoration etc but it does. At the moment it does look like someone has dropped the ball on this one.

Hopefully it's not too late and maybe the Hercules(s)? that are doing the drop in France will be suitably adorned.
starbuck

Postby Robin on Fri 24 May 2019, 9:51 am

If the RAF are unable to provide an aircraft with D Day stripes, Preferably a C130 Herculese, it would be nice if the USA or one of the other participating countries could be asked to provide an aircraft with D Day stripes to lead the D Day formation to France on 5 June. Just a suggestion. Robin.
Per Ardua ad Astra
Robin

Postby CJS on Fri 24 May 2019, 5:27 pm

Are there any actual D-day aircraft still flying? They'd make a very suitable leader IMHO.
"Forewarned is forearmed"
How do you know I didn't?
CJS

Postby Abbo46 on Fri 24 May 2019, 5:36 pm

Yes, Spitfire ML407/G-LFIX is a D-Day veteran, I believe.
Abbo46

Postby starbuck on Fri 24 May 2019, 5:38 pm

And this C47 on its way over from the states

https://blogs.mprnews.org/newscut/2019/ ... -normandy/
starbuck

Postby HeyfordDave111 on Fri 24 May 2019, 6:15 pm

starbuck wrote:And this C47 on its way over from the states

Think she arrived at Duxford 2 days ago via prestwick and a trip down the west side of England.

at least 2 arrived today too.
Got to love Russianhardware
HeyfordDave111

Postby LN Strike Eagle on Fri 24 May 2019, 6:18 pm

Aero Legends' Drag-Em-Oot is a D-Day veteran too.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"
LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Postby FarnboroJohn on Fri 24 May 2019, 9:26 pm

starbuck wrote:Hopefully it's not too late.....

I believe the stripes were originally applied the day before the start of the op - how hard can it be? Its a question of the will to win, and the accountants have more of it. Than the RAF brass, anyway.
FarnboroJohn

Postby rockfordstone on Sat 25 May 2019, 6:51 am

HeyfordDave111 wrote:
starbuck wrote:And this C47 on its way over from the states

Think she arrived at Duxford 2 days ago via prestwick and a trip down the west side of England.

at least 2 arrived today too.

what time did she arrive? she wasn't there when i left yesterday?
rockfordstone

Postby starbuck on Wed 12 Jun 2019, 8:58 am

So now the dust has settled on all the excellent commemorations of the past week, are we really the only country that didn’t stripe an active aircraft? I’m hoping I’m wrong and there was one and I’ve just missed it among all the other goings on.....
starbuck

Postby Mike on Wed 12 Jun 2019, 9:19 am

Not only that, but the huge part played by the RAF and various UK civilian operators in the Berlin Airlift was commemorated at the event this week in Wiesbaden (attended by well over 40,000 people) by...precisely nothing. :sad:
Mike

Postby st24 on Wed 12 Jun 2019, 11:02 am

starbuck wrote:So now the dust has settled on all the excellent commemorations of the past week, are we really the only country that didn’t stripe an active aircraft? I’m hoping I’m wrong and there was one and I’ve just missed it among all the other goings on.....

Nope, we did absolutely nothing... Just a lacklustre couple of flypasts. A bit pathetic.
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!
st24

Postby Ryan. on Wed 12 Jun 2019, 4:26 pm

st24 wrote:
starbuck wrote:So now the dust has settled on all the excellent commemorations of the past week, are we really the only country that didn’t stripe an active aircraft? I’m hoping I’m wrong and there was one and I’ve just missed it among all the other goings on.....

Nope, we did absolutely nothing... Just a lacklustre couple of flypasts. A bit pathetic.

Truly is. Compared to this, the RAF 100 effort was sterling. :grin:
Ryan.

Postby Roughcutter on Wed 12 Jun 2019, 6:40 pm

It's a long shot this one, do you think Brexit may have had some bearing on the MOD/RAF's attitude to the recent commemorations? :question:
a woman phoned the BBC to say that "a hurricane is on the way" Well if you're listening, don't worry it isn't.
Roughcutter

Postby Tmyers123 on Wed 12 Jun 2019, 6:47 pm

Roughcutter wrote:It's a long shot this one

It is indeed. :biggrin:
Tmyers123

Postby capercaillie on Thu 13 Jun 2019, 8:23 am

Roughcutter wrote:It's a long shot this one, do you think Brexit may have had some bearing on the MOD/RAF's attitude to the recent commemorations? :question:

That, along with the catastrophic global reduction in invertebrate numbers are undoubtedly factors for discovering black and white tins of paint at their disposal in hangars across the country. :cuppa:
"The surrogate voice of st24"
capercaillie

Previous

Return to Aviation Waffle