ARIZONA - Pheonix Area - Info Req'd

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
pmdavies33

ARIZONA - Pheonix Area - Info Req'd

Post by pmdavies33 »

I have some R & R before my return to the UK later in the week :sad:. I have arranged a visit to Luke AFB in the morning on Wednesday but hope to visit a number of other aviation sites of interest. Can anyone advise on the following.

Mesa/Falcon Field - How accomodating are Marsh Aviation and Aerojet. Also are the other Ex Mil residents easily viewable on the ramps and in the storage areas?

Mesa/Williams Gateway - How accomodating are ATSI? Again, what is the viewing like?

Pheonix/Deer Valley - Is it worth a visit?

I plan to visit Sky Harbour to pick up the KC-135's, any advice?

Hopefully I should be able to get some photos aswell as filling the logbook up somewhat!!

Any info will be greatfully received!!

Chuck

Re: ARIZONA - Pheonix Area - Info Req'd

Post by Chuck »

Hi Paul,

It has been a good few years since my last visits, but ATSI (at that time) are a real friendly bunch. You can see the aircraft from the outside as well. Gateway is a nice airfield to visit anyway. Drive around a little as there are quite a few areas of interest on this great airfield.

Viewing at the military apron at Sky Harbour is somewhat limited (or I did not know exactly which roads to take) but there is some good viewing of the runways at various places.

Good luck and looking forward to seeing the pictures.

Cheers, Berry

tommc

Post by tommc »

The Arizona tankers are easy to read from the multi-storey car park at the main terminal.

Deer Valley are pretty friendly and helpful, also Mesa too (not the Boeing part though!)
Regards
TomMc

colevans

Post by colevans »

Just keep an eye out for the rattlesnakes......

pmdavies33

Post by pmdavies33 »

Thanks for the help so far. Looks like I am in for a good day. Been in Arizona for four weeks now and have yet to see a rattlesnake!!!!

Ashley Wallace

Post by Ashley Wallace »

Deffinately recommend Williams Gateway, was there last October and it is a truly amazing airfeild, the people are really friendly aswell and are willing to help you out..

skippyscage

Post by skippyscage »

ATSI - hardly present at the airfield personel wise, and not as accomodating as they used to be.

The A-4s have been moved further to the right of the airfield so you'll have to do some manouvering to get shots now, but it's still possible with some imagination and waiting for the sun to be in the correct possition

Marsh - as long as you ask at reception they are fine with you wandering around 9 times out of 10.

pmdavies33

Post by pmdavies33 »

Looks like my itinerary has been decided by your replies. I am doing Luke in the morning followed by a visit to Falcon Field and then Williams Gateway. Unfortunately Deer Valley seems a little out of the way. One final question (for now), does anyone know if there is anything left at Chandler Memorial Airport? I see from http://members.tripod.com/airfields_freeman/AZ/Airfields_AZ_Phoenix_SE.htm states that all the H-19's have been "trucked away". Does anyone know the final destination?

skippyscage

Post by skippyscage »

all that's left are the 4 x C-54s, the DC-7 and possibly the single Howard 500 plus one PV2 - the airfield is now actively patrolled by security as the Indians don't wish anyone to be on their land - the airfield is now to all intents and purposes closed - find one of the security patrols and ask - the worst they can say is no.

The H-19s went a while ago - no idea where to.

this is how it USED to look
http://www.skippyscage.com/aviation/az/chandler0702/
(who is that 2 hats on my one car??)

oh and Willie is an afternoon airfield due to the sun for photos at least.

pmdavies33

Post by pmdavies33 »

Looks like I will have to give Chandler a miss then. Great photos by the way!!

skippyscage

Post by skippyscage »

pmdavies33 wrote:Looks like I will have to give Chandler a miss then. Great photos by the way!!

thanks - if you have the time and patience give Chandler Mem a go - like I say, a word with security will do no harm.

I've heard lately of people being run off with threats of arrest, but on the flip side of people being allowed to walk on after explaining what they wish to do.