Is there a reason you don't buy Airshow DVD's anymore?

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
Ken Shabby

Re: Is there a reason you don't buy Airshow DVD's anymore?

Post by Ken Shabby »

I agree with much of the above. I've never been a fan of 'single show' DVDs (with the exception of RIAT) as the line-up of aircraft at most shows these days - whilst entertaining on the day - rarely lends itself to exciting home viewing. I'm happy to watch good modern jet and warbird footage, but 10 minutes of The Blades or a Grob Tutor isn't my idea of TV fun.

I did buy some 'single show' DVDs a few years back and was also disappointed by the lack of imagination shown in some of them. The producer of one official Waddington DVD thought it OK to shoot the entire show from a single camera poistion on the crowd line and pad it out with interviews from some of the display pilots. There was an in-cockpit camera sequence but the whole thing hardly made for exciting viewing.

I agree that putting out some historical stuff is a good idea. If I'm to buy anything current it would probably just be a season's compilation or something along those lines.

Ken
Ken

Abingdonman

Post by Abingdonman »

Thinking about it,I,ve only bought a couple of aviation videos in my life and no DVDs whatsoever!
but I have/had a few given me as presents....
But for myself I,ve been a bit disappointed with most,for instance,airshows....the Abingdon 90 video,a 7.5 hour airshow,had about 40 minutes of flying on tape(I suppose i,m selfish in that I only want to see the flying :grin: )...my fave at the time the Tornado F3,famous for its pass & zoom climb had about 10seconds,the GR1 had nothing!
First video I ever bought was about the EE Lightning,cant remember the title off hand,but it had interviews and all the beginnings of the design etc,stuff that could be put on notes,but amazingly,for me anyways....it really had next to nothing on the F6 and F3 in service.....the last and the longest servants!

ALAN L

Post by ALAN L »

Alex I would like a copy of M&L as well,however,I bought a video of the first gathering and was really dissapointed,modern music,aircraft filmed from what appeared to be the crowdline,so quite far away,rubbish sound,not many interviews with veterans or operators,all in all it wasn't much better than what is now on youtube!
I have to say that Steve's productions are first class,just a pity that he can't film all events!

One little gripe about nearly all airshow dvd's,why do they always have shots of the crowd looking at/filming the aircraft?!
I want to see the action ,not the punters!
Classic Flight volunteer, Hunter Flight Academy groundie and a member of the Beech restorations team.

Offbreed

Post by Offbreed »

How about doing a DVD for Youtube fans, you could share your expertise,
showing the techniques you use, and tips you recommend for filming airshows.
make it geared towards hand held camcorders, not the expensive pro stuff. :clap:

fg1

Post by fg1 »

Who owns the copyright on the airshows that used to be on the telly when I was a kid? I'm sure that Biggin Hill used to be covered with Raymond Baxter commentating. Is there any chance of these being put together on DVD as the quality would be better than cine film?

aceyone

Post by aceyone »

fg1 wrote:Who owns the copyright on the airshows that used to be on the telly when I was a kid? I'm sure that Biggin Hill used to be covered with Raymond Baxter commentating. Is there any chance of these being put together on DVD as the quality would be better than cine film?

Indeed airshows in the past were extensively covered by the Beeb,Farnborough was week long coverage if I remember correctly and Biggin was shown often, although I'm not sure if it was every year,I know from my 1958 Biggin programme that the Beeb done a live broadcast from Biggin,those were the days ! re airshow dvds, I agree with those who say once you have your Harrier/Spit/Tornado demo on dvd how many more do you need of the same or similar display ?
Don't know about those jets ,they spoil a very nice place

jimbob1194

Post by jimbob1194 »

Well i go to Flying Legends every year & buy the DVD of it, aswell as filming it every year on my camera. I sometimes by RIAT, though i do fancy the UK Air Shows 2009 DVD box set this year :biggrin:

James
The Mustang won't do what a Spitfire does, but it does it over Berlin.

AARDVARK

Post by AARDVARK »

Expense is an issue,compilation ones are great,or RIAT,especially the 2 dvd set this year from Planes TV,(or Aviation Action as they were)I have RIAT Videos from IAT 89 right up to RIAT 98,and old Air Fete Video's,would love to see some of these reissued on dvd,as such a lack of new/interesting stuff around at shows these day's that not worth buying many of today's shows.

As I mentioned in my post the other day,perhaps filming overseas shows would be a great idea,like some of them in the U.S or far east,or Europe,great example would be next weeks Sanicole Airshow in Belgium,which has some unique and varied participation and also the Kleine Brogel spotters day could be incorporated into the dvd.

:biggrin:

AMB

Post by AMB »

AARDVARK wrote:
As I mentioned in my post the other day,perhaps filming overseas shows would be a great idea,like some of them in the U.S or far east,or Europe,great example would be next weeks Sanicole Airshow in Belgium,which has some unique and varied participation and also the Kleine Brogel spotters day could be incorporated into the dvd.

:biggrin:

Excellent idea - go to Tanagra in Greece or LAVEX in Libya and film those shows for something different! Hands up for some Libyan MiGs on DVD? :drool:
Adrian

jimbob1194

Post by jimbob1194 »

Another show across the channel is La Ferte Alais, or whatever its called. Thats normally a good display there. Some british warbirds go over to that :biggrin:

James
The Mustang won't do what a Spitfire does, but it does it over Berlin.

eaglekepr

Post by eaglekepr »

Perhaps more effort should be put into pulling up the 14 years worth of archives for the "look back" DVDs, they certainly seem popular enough here. Of course, don't stop filming shows today, that's where your money will come from in 15 years ;)

I personally only have 1 airshow DVD, and that's last years RIAT simply because I wanted the video of the F-22 display. I usually have hundreds to thousands of my own photos to remember the day. Only if there was something spectacular (first F-22 UK display) would I probably buy another. However, in-cockpit video and 'nostalgic' videos might be interesting enough to purchase more.