Which Squadrons will eventually get the Typhoon?

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
Ben H
UKAR Supporter

Which Squadrons will eventually get the Typhoon?

Post by Ben H »

So, besides 3, 17 ,29 and 11 Squadron, who are the favourites to recieve the rest of the Typhoon order? I would put my money on 6, 16 and 54 56 seeing as they are the most recently disbanded.

Sound thinking or complete rubbish?

Re: Which Squadrons will eventually get the Typhoon?

Post by 40612 »

Yes

Ben H
UKAR Supporter

Post by Ben H »

:confused:

PeterR

Post by PeterR »

At the moment 6 and 43 Squadrons are supossed to be getting Typhoons.

And BTW, There is a 56 Squadron now, it's the OCU for the Sentinal and 5 squadron is the operational unit. :biggrin:

Ben H
UKAR Supporter

Post by Ben H »

Ah yes silly me, forgot the current F3 squadrons :oops:

Needham

Post by Needham »

Jumbojet380 wrote:At the moment 6 and 43 Squadrons are supossed to be getting Typhoons.

And BTW, There is a 56 Squadron now, it's the OCU for the Sentinal and 5 squadron is the operational unit. :biggrin:

54Sqn is the Sentry Training Squadron based at Waddington, so I doubt they'll ever get tyffies. I'd love to see the 16Sqn Jaguar Display colours on a Typhoon :drool:

Needham

PeterR

Post by PeterR »

Needham wrote:I'd love to see the 16Sqn Jaguar Display colours on a Typhoon :drool:

Sadly that won't be happening. Because the way the Typhoon is made and the materials it's made from the layers of paint have to be very thin (and a special BAe grey) so special tails and schemes will be very rare. :sad:

Craig

Post by Craig »

The 56 numberplate has been reallocated too, so that one's out. 6 is said to be the next, and believe 43 will convert rather than disband, so they'll be another. 25 maybe?

138EAW

Post by 138EAW »

Craig wrote:The 56 numberplate has been reallocated too, so that one's out. 6 is said to be the next, and believe 43 will convert rather than disband, so they'll be another. 25 maybe?

From what was said at the XXV Squadron Photocall 25 Sqn wasnt due to get Typhoons shame really
Gary

BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Random wrote:So, besides 3, 17 ,29 and 11 Squadron, who are the favourites to recieve the rest of the Typhoon order? I would put my money on 6, 16 and 54 56 seeing as they are the most recently disbanded.

Sound thinking or complete rubbish?

It's my understanding that 6sqn are confirmed future Typhoon operators and are due to stand-up in the near future. I think it may be next year, maybe somebody can confirm this ?

ChrisG

Post by ChrisG »

Would love to see 74sq reformed on the Typhoon for obvious reasons.

raiford

Post by raiford »

74sqn would be nice :smile:

MikeH

Post by MikeH »

Jumbojet380 wrote:
Needham wrote:I'd love to see the 16Sqn Jaguar Display colours on a Typhoon :drool:

Sadly that won't be happening. Because the way the Typhoon is made and the materials it's made from the layers of paint have to be very thin (and a special BAe grey) so special tails and schemes will be very rare. :sad:

How do you explain the all black ZH558 then?

AndyBeau

Post by AndyBeau »

6 Squadron were due to stand up later this year but not sure if that has been pushed back until next year or not. They will head to Leuchars. I assume it will be 43 doing a swap a year or two after that and then who knows! Depends if we get the full order of Typhoons or not.

Regarding special paint Typhoons - Funny how it was ok to paint DA2 black isn't it? :whistle:

M..

Post by M.. »

MikeH wrote:
Jumbojet380 wrote:

How do you explain the all black ZH558 then?

Scene as ZH588 was a development aircraft the materials that it was made out of might differ from production aircraft? just a thought...
Would be great to see 74sqd stood up again though.

HaveQuick2

Post by HaveQuick2 »

Jumbojet380 wrote:
[(and a special BAe grey) so special tails and schemes will be very rare. :sad:

Can't be all that special, seeing as other partner countries paint theirs in a different colour.
HQ2 out

MikeH

Post by MikeH »

M.. wrote:Scene as ZH588 was a development aircraft the materials that it was made out of might differ from production aircraft? just a thought...
Would be great to see 74sqd stood up again though.

It's unlikely that even BAE Systems would change the material at that stage of the development programme to some that would be more difficult to paint. :grin:

A380FWWOW

Post by A380FWWOW »

HaveQuick2 wrote:
Jumbojet380 wrote:
[(and a special BAe grey) so special tails and schemes will be very rare. :sad:

Can't be all that special, seeing as other partner countries paint theirs in a different colour.

I believe the colour isnt special but the paint in itself is a special format that has to be very thin!

As for Sqn's, I believe that the next Sqn was due to be 6 Sqn reforming as a Typhoon Squadron!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/65589468@N04/
View on this site are my views and not those of any organisation!

Davef68

Post by Davef68 »

6 Squadron is pretty much confirmed, but after that it gets interesting; Leuchars has been confirmed as currently getting three squadrons - so the logical thing is to convert 43 and 111. If they convert, then no need to worry about which has seniority. However, it seems the plan is for one of the Squadrons to convert, and the other will disband and have to wait a couple of years until the third Typhoon squadron comes on line. Assuming 43 converts, that then brings in the seniority question (There is a complex set of rules).

That would mean 25 would have a shout, as it would be the most senior not in existence. 16 seems to have been parked, as there have been opportunities to bring it back, and you can't discount '10' either (Believed reserved for either A330 or A400M). Sadly, 74's lack of existence between 1970 and 1985 will count against it.

Armadillos

Post by Armadillos »

6 are indeed confirmed as next Squadron to recieve and operate Tiffie and these jets will be tranche 2`s :yahoo:

As for other squadrons who knows is the answer to be honest. I can`t see 16 reforming in current climate (saint on tail is hardly PC in this day and age).

The thing that really intrigues me is that even if 3, 6, XI(F), 17(R), 29(R), 43(F) and 111(F) recieve Tiffies thats 7 squadrons to spread 200 odd aircraft across :question:

As yet no confirmation any of our 230 odd will be sold off so we are still bound by the agreement from the 90`s and the saudi deal is seperate from what Eurofighter and BAE Systems say.
3 Months to go, hopefully he says.

Harlequin67
UKAR Supporter

Post by Harlequin67 »

The thing that really intrigues me is that even if 3, 6, XI(F), 17(R), 29(R), 43(F) and 111(F) recieve Tiffies thats 7 squadrons to spread 200 odd aircraft across

The idea is that about 30-40%(IIRC) of airframes will actually be in storage, the airframes will be rotated to the active squadrons over the course of the Typhoon's life span. The stored frames would be attrition and a war reserve of sorts. My understanding is this increases the life span of the fleet.

The number of aircraft bought does not equal a direct number of squadrons. So 240 aircraft does NOT equal 20 squadrons of 12 planes.
Aviation photographer - Achievement unlocked

Stu

Post by Stu »

Will be nice to see the 6Sqn Gunner Stripe on a Phoon :smile:
Olympus Cameras

UBC780XLT
DJ-X10
DJ-X3

Representing www.simplyplanes.co.uk

tc2324

Post by tc2324 »

If anyone wants to see a Typhoon in tiger stripes (74 Sqn), then you better start wishing for the Falkland Islands to be re-invaded. :grin:

dinger

Post by dinger »

AndyBeau wrote:Regarding special paint Typhoons - Funny how it was ok to paint DA2 black isn't it?

As far as I am aware, DA2 was painted black so as she did'nt look as if she had a bad dose of acne. The aircraft skin was covered in hundreds/thousands of little black sensors which were used during the development flights of the aircraft. The black paint was used to give the aircraft a nice uniform look rather than appearing blotchy.

As for squadrons, 6, 43 and 111 are earmarked as far as I am aware. However, as a few people have stated, it would be nice to see 74 reform on the phoon. :smile:

Chuck

Post by Chuck »

The next RAF Typhoon Squadron, as it stands at the moment, will be 6 Squadron. Which Squadron will receive Typhoons after that has not been decided yet.