Low Flying in the Lake District

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
Ben Montgomery

Low Flying in the Lake District

Post by Ben Montgomery »

My question is - is there any? I would assume so but im not sure.Off there for a week during October and was just wondering if there is a good place(s) to go?

Cheers

Ben

Warton GR4

Re: Low Flying in the Lake District

Post by Warton GR4 »

Hi,
In answer to your question, yes the Lake District is part of a low fly zone, LFA17. The amount of traffic varies day to day. Your best place to find locations is http://www.lowfly.net A lot of people go to Tebay though from experience Thirlmere gets just as much, and often more traffic. If it's your first time, you can't go far wrong with Dunmail as a location at the southern end of Thirlmere.

Hope this helps,
Mark
Formerly Mk1 Maniac!

Mark Wright

Rory76

Post by Rory76 »

It's a LOT quieter than in the past though- and if the weather's like last week you may want to ensure you have other passtimes lined up too!! Had one glimpse of the local police helicopter, and a yellow SAR Sea King all week... And that's over Keswick, which tends to be pretty good for spotting as they head from Thirlmere up the Bassenthwaite valley!
Ricoh Caplio R5

Sony A300 ('L' Plates Fitted)

bombhead

Post by bombhead »

I spent a week at the Whinfell Centre Parcs.

I saw a Herc, 2 Tucanos various Hawks and what seemed to be Tornado's chasing Hawk's.These were all low level over or near the camp.

Sadly all at times when I didn't have my camera. :sad:
Don't interupt your enemy,when he is about to make a mistake.

ChrisG

Post by ChrisG »

Got to admit it's a lot quieter than it used to be though things tend to pick up a bit during September / October. Remember there are a couple of good museums at Carlisle and Millom should that take your fancy too. :smile:

Hellfire

Post by Hellfire »

As has been said Tebay and Dunmail are well worth a shot for low flyers, and also Carlisle Airport is well worth a visit for some good static aircraft around the museum and also military wise RAF, AAC helis drop in along with tucano's on many occasions for some juice and a buttie.

*I may have reported a post prior to popping this. If so I don't exactly know what it has done, and was entirely unintentional. Was looking to quote a post but MAY have hit the report bar. Apologies if I did, it's been a long nights work and I'm still getting used to this new setup

Ben Montgomery

Post by Ben Montgomery »

Thanks for all the replys - its seems like it will be a good idea to take the 400mm then :grin: . The link to lowfly is useful. I knew such a site existed and couldnt remember what it was called.

Hellfire

Post by Hellfire »

Hellfire wrote:
*I may have reported a post prior to popping this. If so I don't exactly know what it has done, and was entirely unintentional. Was looking to quote a post but MAY have hit the report bar. Apologies if I did, it's been a long nights work and I'm still getting used to this new setup

Report has been deleted. :smile: Thanks UKAR team, and apologies once again.

If you go to Dunmail its very easy to locate the spots advertised on Lowfly, and you can be up in a short time. At Tebay there's the mast which is very popular and accessible from the back side of the hill, however if the sun doesn't play then I like spending the day at the far northern end of the gorge on the last corner before they exit to Tebay village itsself. Very nice topside shots there! I don't think its that well advertised on Lowfly so if you were interested and wanted more details I could show you.

Neilf92

Post by Neilf92 »

Try "Warplane" - excellent low level photo locations info in the "Locations " section of the main site ( not the forum)