RAF P-40 found in the Sahara???

Re: RAF P-40 found in the Sahara???

Postby JJC on Fri 12 Jan 2018, 12:47 pm

AFKAMC wrote:
JJC wrote:And most egregious of all - the desecration of what is essentially a war grave by the Egyptian authorities.

Was the wreck itself a war grave, though? Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_grave) suggests that military aircraft are only classed as war graves if they crashed in water; “this is particularly true if crewmen perished inside the vehicle.” Neither applies in this case.

The UK Government (https://www.gov.uk/guidance/aviation-archaeology) has this to say: “All military aircraft crash sites in the United Kingdom, its territorial waters, or British aircraft in international waters, are controlled sites under the Protection of Military Remains Act 1986.” and “Outside the United Kingdom, international or British territorial waters, the Protection of Military Remains Act 1986 does not apply. Excavations of crash sites of British aircraft are be subject to the laws of the country concerned. However, MOD policy is to discourage disturbance of such sites unless necessary in respect of host government approved activities, like land reclamation or construction.”

It seems to me that the RAF museum actively encouraged and facilitated disturbance of the site, because they wanted to recover the aircraft. So I don’t see how the Egyptians can be blamed on this score.

I believe from what I’ve read elsewhere that human remains were located in the vicinity, but after investigation were deemed not to be those of the pilot. If this is the case, then surely the pilot, sadly, has no known grave?

So I don’t see any desecration having taken place.

The important phrase being ‘what is essentially...’ regardless of what it may or may not be in very specific legal terms, the aircraft represents the last known and tangible location of Dennis Copping. As it is unlikely that his remains will ever be found, it represents the most compelling location for his final resting place.

You don’t see how the Egyptian authorities and their bodge job ‘restoration’ is rather unsympathetic and completely inappropriate? Interesting.

Considering the Egyptian authorities said the bones were too old/too contaminated to run any meaningful tests on, I don’t see how they would know.

Think what you want, the fact remains that this entire affair has been mismanaged and poorly orchestrated. Regardless of the pressing necessity to move the aircraft to a ‘safe location’, there should have been more oversight and the project should have been handled better.

I’ve no more to say on the subject other than to say it is a huge shame.
''Time to dive into the fireworks!''
JJC

Postby Traveller on Sat 13 Jan 2018, 9:25 am

Hilarious, you lot. So taking a wreck and making it look like this is tragic yet oh, Miss Demeanor in that ridiculous scheme never came in for criticism and was simply stunning and a huge loss when sold......
Traveller

Postby Jakub.Zurek on Sat 13 Jan 2018, 10:25 am

But with Miss Demeanour, it was never meant to be an authentic scheme?
With this P-40, they clearly tried to represent what the aircraft looked like in WWII... Just look at all the discussion on various forums about the wrong roundels on certain aircraft e.g. MH434. That's what everyone is upset about, taking a historical time capsule, and by our UK standards, restoring it very poorly.
Jakub.Zurek
UKAR Staff

Postby Hammy on Sat 13 Jan 2018, 10:40 am

Traveller wrote:Hilarious, you lot. So taking a wreck and making it look like this is tragic yet oh, Miss Demeanor in that ridiculous scheme never came in for criticism and was simply stunning and a huge loss when sold......

Nuance, a speciality of yours?
Author, visionary, dreamweaver... Plus actor.

Threshold.aero
Hammy

Previous

Return to Aviation Waffle