Sea Vixen XP924 Thread

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
Brevet Cable

Re: Sea Vixen XP924 Thread

Post by Brevet Cable »

And hopefully people will stump up the dosh.
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

Ryan.

Post by Ryan. »

FGR2 wrote:I don't think we see it much because it is either too expensive for organisers or is broken :(

The Sea Vixen attended every airshow it was booked at last year until its flap issue at Eastbourne last year. And is booked to attend a number of shows this year.

FGR2

Post by FGR2 »

Ryan. wrote:
FGR2 wrote:I don't think we see it much because it is either too expensive for organisers or is broken :(

The Sea Vixen attended every airshow it was booked at last year until its flap issue at Eastbourne last year. And is booked to attend a number of shows this year.

It was out for a while a couple of years ago with engine problems, as it missed the flypast over the new aircraft carrier. Let's hope it appears at a few more shows this year :)

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Not to mention the inadvertent nose-ground interface incident at Bournmouth ( 2012 or 13, wasn't it ? ) which put it out for a year or so.
Wasn't the engine problem the following year ( 2014 ? ), so before FNHT obtained it ?
아직도 숨어있다

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

It's fair to say the Sea Vixen had a 'few' unfortunate incidents of the mechanical & driver kind, but that's all in the past now. Under the sponsorship of Red Bull it made several great appearances, especially the Zeltweg Show in Austria. Under the DS. period of control the aircraft suffered some appalling bad luck leading to late display cancellations due to reasons of Serviceability through to the lack of Pilot availability!
I'm sure that under the auspices of the Fly Navy Heritage Trust (brand-name of 'Navy Wings') their high quality of care & maintenance will result in better sortie rates. I am certainly looking forward to seeing this unique jet gracing the skies as often as possible.
The Vulcan is dead...Long Live the Vixen!!! :yahoo:

andy759

Post by andy759 »

for one reason or another & not through lack of trying I've not yet seen her at a airshow yet
but I was lucky enough to be at yeovilton on a behind the scenes visit to see her do two practice displays' over us , totally awesome
Imagernas yeovilton 104 by andy 759, on Flickr

Imagernas yeovilton 054 by andy 759, on Flickr

Imagernas yeovilton 102 by andy 759, on Flickr

hoping to see her at old warden

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

Looking forward to the next update from 'Navy Wings'. Nearly 2 weeks since the last report & I can't find anything to show any increased impetus on the 'giving' front or encouraging news about engine-runs, etc. Clearly the need to keep the *'Massif' informed & motivated is paramount in achieving the goal in fund-raising! Onward & upwards!
*(Urban...A collective term for a large number of people, bigger than the regular crew or posse. The majority of people. Often used by organisers & particularly revolutionaries, as the term for the large numbers of people who will be joining the cause.)
Hope to see the Events Team at the Gazelle Meet on the 8th April?

Jakub.Zurek
UKAR Staff

Post by Jakub.Zurek »

Stagger2 wrote:Looking forward to the next update from 'Navy Wings'. Nearly 2 weeks since the last report & I can't find anything to show any increased impetus on the 'giving' front or encouraging news about engine-runs, etc. Clearly the need to keep the *'Massif' informed & motivated is paramount in achieving the goal in fund-raising! Onward & upwards!

They have engine runs planned soon and the first flight in the second week of April. All this is from Navy Wings on Facebook.
This info is also under "March 2017 Update" on the appeal page on the Navy Wings website: https://www.navywings.org.uk/support-us ... peal-2017/

paullangford

Post by paullangford »

It's gonna be flying for me and the other supporters on Saturday 6th May at the Navy Wings Supporters day..............yummy :icecream: :cuppa:
............Swordfish as well
https://www.navywings.org.uk/navy-wings ... -day-2017/

JetMan

Post by JetMan »

Ryan. wrote:

Didn't make cosford either due to the weather. It was the only reason I went to cosford.

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

JetMan wrote:
Ryan. wrote:

Didn't make cosford either due to the weather. It was the only reason I went to cosford.

Hardly the fault of the Vixen team though, is it? They weren't the only aircraft to fall foul of the British summer if I remember rightly.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

CJS

Post by CJS »

I was at Yeovilton yesterday and saw the team at work on this lovely machine. She was up on jacks having something clever and complicated done to her.

I must say how impressed I was with everyone at Navy Wings / RNHF yesterday. So clearly passionate about what they're doing but also so happy to take valuable time out of their day to help inspire some engineers of the future.

Many many thanks to them all, especially those who met and talked with the kids (even if one of them spent most of the journey back extolling the virtues of the Pitts Special! Don't worry, the other three all preferred the Sea Vixen :-P )
Buy the sky and sell the sky and lift your arms up to the sky and ask the sky"

Ryan.

Post by Ryan. »

JetMan wrote:
Ryan. wrote:

I was talking mechanically. As others have stated nothing can be done about the British weather.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Didn't stop people from slagging off VTST when XH558 had to bin displays due to weather, though.
아직도 숨어있다

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

Wasn't that because it was generally due to weather enroute, and VTTS made a big song and dance about how the aircraft and its crew were fully instrument rated allowing it to fly in aforementioned weather? :whistle:

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Nope.
아직도 숨어있다

NavyWingsUK

Post by NavyWingsUK »

With a fair wind, the last Flying Sea Vixen's first display will be at the Annual Navy Wings Supporters Day on Saturday 6th May see https://www.navywings.org.uk/news-blog/navy-wings-supporters-day/

Subject to serviceability, ground runs will be held during the month and we hope to get video footage to share for you all! For 'as it happens' updates have a look at the Navy Wings Website, Facebook and Twitter pages.

Thankyou for all your support it is very much appreciated.
Last edited by NavyWingsUK on Thu 06 Apr 2017, 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Funded by public donations, Navy Wings maintains & flies & displays historic aircraft navywings.org.uk

Ouragan

Post by Ouragan »

Is it just me, or does she look so much better with the tanks under the wings fitted?

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

Here's the Navy Wings schedule as it stands.

https://www.navywings.org.uk/flying-schedule/

I think I'd better get myself to the Old Warden event. And here's hoping that more dates are added.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

아직도 숨어있다

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

As it stands the Sea Vixen has just one date at present after Yeovilton on 8th July. :sad:

You'd think RIAT would dip in just the once. :whistle:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

chrisward123

Post by chrisward123 »

Hoping to see it at RIAT and Southport... Please??? :biggrin:
Lakes Lightning Collection

HeyfordDave111

Post by HeyfordDave111 »

chrisward123 wrote:Hoping to see it at RIAT and Southport... Please??? :biggrin:

Wouldn't that be nice?

It was due at Southport last year i believe but had the tech problem....mind you better to have that happen to a booking, than not book it at all (ahem, RIAT!).

Not sure what their bone of contention is with it attending RIAT to be honest, it's almost like they don't like it, but would rather have god knows how many Typhoons or F-16's display instead...... makes no sense to me for a , albeit not anywhere near Vulcan standards, crowd puller with charisma.
Got to love Russianhardware

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Typhoons and F-16s are free, Sea Vixen is not. Too easy to answer.

I'd prefer the Sea Vixen to most modern jets, but stark reality is the military acts from abroad cost nothing more than accommodation and food. :dunno:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

HeyfordDave111

Post by HeyfordDave111 »

capercaillie wrote:Typhoons and F-16s are free, Sea Vixen is not. Too easy to answer.

I'd prefer the Sea Vixen to most modern jets, but stark reality is the military acts from abroad cost nothing more than accommodation and food. :dunno:

Forgive me southport, no slight intended, but you will get my point........ if a small, by comparison show like Southport can afford the Sea Vixen, why not RIAT? If a show like East fortune can hire her, same question?

Sorry but as it's a prestige British military aircraft it should display at least once every millennia at the 'Worlds Biggest Military Airshow' (does that slogan still see the light of day nowadays? lol)
Got to love Russianhardware