Sea Vixen XP924 Thread

Re: Sea Vixen XP924 Thread

Postby Darren50 on Mon 03 Jul 2017, 8:03 am

It is not so long ago, that I would go to airshows just as a member of the public as my wife dragged me along to the likes of Mildenhall as well as Clacton and Southend. As someone who had limited knowledge or interest in aircraft, I must say that I remember the sea vixen , I think it was in Red Bull colours, but to me it was only different because it was a plane with a spoiler. As far as notable aircraft from a general public point of view, obviously the B2 or F-117 because they were futuristic. The Harrier, I thought was boring because it was common ( how times change) but the one I always looked forward to was the Jaguar. Now that I have more interest, it is only now apparent the the stuff I took no real interest in is no longer flying.
Darren50

Postby Alanko on Mon 03 Jul 2017, 9:42 am

VIGILANTERA5C wrote:What is it with RN Historic ac ?, how many times I have been to shows waiting to see the Sea hawk fly , or a Swordfish or 2 fly or a Sea Fury only to hear the announcement sorry , us. re build went on a bit etc , etc, over the past 20 years and more I am talking about here . Now we have the Saga Of the Sea Vixen to add to that list , Tragic , even if we were blessed with many other vintage jets , which we are not , simply tragic . Burned into my Memory as it Burned into the Runway .
Remember one display years back in the Rain in Brady , how the pilot could even see outside the windscreen I do not know and he still threw it about , Please put it Back Up.

I could complain about the number of no-shows from the BBMF Lancaster in Scotland over the last couple of years, but I understand this is simply the nature of old machines. Especially so in anything as complex as fast jets. When they built Sea Hawks, Sea Furies etc they weren't forecasting for them to still be used in any capacity in 2017, so these things are being kept alive well beyond their shelf-life (as is the Lanc). I don't think it is an RNHF issue as much as an 'old aircraft' phenomenon, shared by operators of any historic transport.
Alanko

Postby Reds Rolling on Tue 04 Jul 2017, 7:48 am

Offbreed wrote:Cillit Bang purple and orange for the win :heyhey:

Bang, and the outboard fuel tanks are gone!

Seriously though, what a shame to hear that the Vixen is so badly damaged and needs a very serious amount of cash to repair, and I fear in the current climate it'll never fly again.

Really hope to be proven wrong though.
Reds Rolling

Postby Dan O'Hagan on Wed 26 Jul 2017, 9:02 am

Another update. Sounds quite pessimistic as I read it:

https://www.navywings.org.uk/news-blog/sea-vixen-update-25th-july-2017/
Dan O'Hagan

Postby Mike on Wed 26 Jul 2017, 9:31 am

An interesting juxtaposition of information in that statement.

"Something broke"
"Something that should have saved the aeroplane when the first thing broke...also broke"
"We've sent the chief engineer off to retirement"
Mike

Postby Alanko on Wed 26 Jul 2017, 9:54 am

Mike wrote:An interesting juxtaposition of information in that statement.

The Chief Engineer is staying on in a consultancy role, and they have a new Chief Engineer.

To quote:

Brian Johnson, the Chief Engineer, who was due to retire from the Team in November to work nearer his home in the Midlands, remains on as a consultant, but hands over the role of Chief Engineer to Kevin Bugg.

If anything it seems a bit 'belt 'n' braces' for an aircraft that may never fly again; keep a chief engineer and a consultant on the payroll when one was only required for keeping the thing in the air.
Alanko

Postby capercaillie on Wed 26 Jul 2017, 11:03 am

Sounds very much like an obituary to the Vixen, please donate to the Sea Fury and Swordfish as we haven't a cat in hell's chance of the target set. :sad:
"The surrogate voice of st24"
capercaillie

Postby Mike on Wed 26 Jul 2017, 11:53 am

Their problems seem to run far deeper than just funding. They've already had half a million quid of LIBOR fine money specifically to sort the Pegasus engines, plus I understand some of the new parts were also paid for by an outside donor on top of this, and have utterly failed to solve the issues. They have a hangar full of broken aeroplanes, and at their recent event at Old Warden were unable to field anything more than a single Chipmunk. Very sad to see how far the RNHF have fallen from their heyday in the 80s where they were regularly able to field multiple aircraft almost every weekend in the summer months.
Mike

Postby st24 on Wed 26 Jul 2017, 2:06 pm

Mike wrote:Their problems seem to run far deeper than just funding. They've already had half a million quid of LIBOR fine money specifically to sort the Pegasus engines, plus I understand some of the new parts were also paid for by an outside donor on top of this, and have utterly failed to solve the issues. They have a hangar full of broken aeroplanes, and at their recent event at Old Warden were unable to field anything more than a single Chipmunk. Very sad to see how far the RNHF have fallen from their heyday in the 80s where they were regularly able to field multiple aircraft almost every weekend in the summer months.

Indeed, since civvy "ownership" they really have struggled. As you say back in the day, the familiar Swordfish /SeaFury / Firefly trio along with the BBMF were the only "warbirds" many shows would get... Such a shame. :sad:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!
st24

Postby Steve p on Wed 26 Jul 2017, 9:35 pm

Very sad news really, always had a soft spot for the Sea Vixen and delighted one was airworthy, now yet another British cold war jet that we can only see gathering dust in a cramped museum hall. :sad:
Steve p

Postby Reds Rolling on Fri 28 Jul 2017, 7:41 am

Just glad I've seen it as much as I have over the years.

I'll never forget Jonathon Whalley's very low level beat up of the runway when he took the jet off to Yeovilton. :worship:
Reds Rolling

Postby LN Strike Eagle on Thu 08 Mar 2018, 12:32 pm

"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"
LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Postby NavyWingsUK on Wed 21 Mar 2018, 3:09 pm

The Navy Wings Sea Vixen maintenance team are looking to acquire the use of 2 additional RR Avon engine stands, can you help the Sea Vixen team? Please share this post and if you can help please email office@navywings.org.uk
Funded by public donations, Navy Wings maintains & flies & displays historic aircraft navywings.org.uk
NavyWingsUK

Previous

Return to Aviation Waffle