Offshore Helicopter changes.

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
HMS Seahawk

Offshore Helicopter changes.

Post by HMS Seahawk »

New chopper rules for 'larger' offshore workers

New rules are to be introduced on the size of oil workers travelling to and from offshore installations by helicopter. Passengers with a shoulder width of 22 inches or more will be classed as "extra broad" and will have to sit next to a similarly large helicopter window. It follows a Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) review of helicopter safety. The changes come after a study revealed the average oil worker had risen in weight by close to 20 per cent over the past 30 years. There were concerns that size had become a risk factor in helicopter incidents, with larger workers finding it harder to leave helicopters during emergencies due to the size of the exits. Now those classed as "extra broad" will have to sit next to a window with a diagonal width of at least 22 inches. The offshore safety body Step Change in Safety said at least 25 per cent of helicopter windows meet the new criteria. It said there would be ongoing discussion about how, when and where passengers would be measured. Les Linklater, team leader for Step Change in Safety, said: “The safety of the offshore workforce is our absolute priority and we believe this measurement criteria and strategy is the safest and simplest route to take.” The move follows other changes to the helicopter safety regime - including strict new clothing rules for passengers introduced last week. Critics have argued that it wasn’t the size of workers that caused helicopters to crash, it was mechanical problems and adverse weather conditions. They say more emphasis should have been placed on the choice and maintenance of helicopters and on the conditions in which flights take place. Offshore union Unite, which is running a Back Home Safe campaign, has called for a public inquiry into offshore helicopter safety (Risks 651).

Source:- TUC "Risks" bulletin.

ArabJazzie

Re: Offshore Helicopter changes.

Post by ArabJazzie »

Think the only thing to come out of this is there will be a few offshore jobs in the very near furture.

I have also heard rumblings that a passenger seat wont be used unless it has a window beside it! This will have bigger implications to UK off-shore ops as a 19 seat EC.225 becomes an 8 seater! I think that all parties can see what this means for the industry and they may be happy for the aircraft to work to capacity rather than have to do more hours..
Arabest,
Geoff.
52 in a year! We must be certifiable!

Vigorous Dragon

Post by Vigorous Dragon »

Why dont they just run 2 helicopters for each trip?

One normal AW machine for 'regulars', and a chinook labeled 'fatties' for those that exceed the 22 inch shoulder restriction?

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

The Chubby Chinook.
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

Big Eric

Post by Big Eric »

Wissam24 wrote:The Chubby Chinook.

They used Chinooks many years ago until this happened, all confidence was lost in them though. :- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1986_Briti ... nook_crash

Rule 27

Post by Rule 27 »

So for those helicopters that have the mandated 22in window installed, what if you're bigger than that? You're still buggered!

psquiddy

Post by psquiddy »

HMS Seahawk wrote:New chopper rules for 'larger' offshore workers

New rules are to be introduced on the size of oil workers travelling to and from offshore installations by helicopter. Passengers with a shoulder width of 22 inches or more will be classed as "extra broad" and will have to sit next to a similarly large helicopter window. It follows a Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) review of helicopter safety. The changes come after a study revealed the average oil worker had risen in weight by close to 20 per cent over the past 30 years. There were concerns that size had become a risk factor in helicopter incidents, with larger workers finding it harder to leave helicopters during emergencies due to the size of the exits. Now those classed as "extra broad" will have to sit next to a window with a diagonal width of at least 22 inches. The offshore safety body Step Change in Safety said at least 25 per cent of helicopter windows meet the new criteria. It said there would be ongoing discussion about how, when and where passengers would be measured. Les Linklater, team leader for Step Change in Safety, said: “The safety of the offshore workforce is our absolute priority and we believe this measurement criteria and strategy is the safest and simplest route to take.” The move follows other changes to the helicopter safety regime - including strict new clothing rules for passengers introduced last week. Critics have argued that it wasn’t the size of workers that caused helicopters to crash, it was mechanical problems and adverse weather conditions. They say more emphasis should have been placed on the choice and maintenance of helicopters and on the conditions in which flights take place. Offshore union Unite, which is running a Back Home Safe campaign, has called for a public inquiry into offshore helicopter safety (Risks 651).

Source:- TUC "Risks" bulletin.

So the big person sits by the emergency exit?

Surely skinny people should sit there because they can get out quicker (is this fatist?).
Over 300 free things to do in London
http://www.toplondondaysout.co.uk

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Came across this "fatist" thinking on Easyjet the other week. Back row aisle seat on an Airbus.

The flight out I was in an aisle seat and has no problems with the belt. The flight home and on the back row not only were the seats narrower, they had fitted shorter belts too!

I'm ashamed to say I couldn't do the belt up so humiliated asked for an extender. To be told as my seat was expected to open the back door in an emergency I wasn't allowed one!!!!! Even with an extender fitted it's still a single catch of the same design to release the belt and get loose!

So then had the humiliation of having to move seats!

I would argue having a big guy by the exit is a benefit as we usually have more physical power to pop a difficult exit.etc

Andy

Epic Formacion

Post by Epic Formacion »

boff180 wrote:Came across this "fatist" thinking on Easyjet the other week. Back row aisle seat on an Airbus.

The flight out I was in an aisle seat and has no problems with the belt. The flight home and on the back row not only were the seats narrower, they had fitted shorter belts too!

I'm ashamed to say I couldn't do the belt up so humiliated asked for an extender. To be told as my seat was expected to open the back door in an emergency I wasn't allowed one!!!!! Even with an extender fitted it's still a single catch of the same design to release the belt and get loose!

So then had the humiliation of having to move seats!

I would argue having a big guy by the exit is a benefit as we usually have more physical power to pop a difficult exit.etc

Andy

I have never heard of a pax on the rear most aisle seat having any responsibility towards towards opening a door in an emergency. Did you get any informal briefing from one of the two crew that sit in the rear galley? Probably not. Sounds like EZY BS to me.