F-35 Order Imminent..

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
Gooze

F-35 Order Imminent..

Post by Gooze »

ericbee123

Re: F-35 Order Imminent..

Post by ericbee123 »

Can I be the first to point out that "a quantum leap" would be the smallest possible leap.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum
Disclaimer-I have spell/grammar checked this post, it may still contain mistakes that might cause offence.

Traveller

Post by Traveller »

Someone remind me why the raf didnt order the A model? Are we back to hiding in forests in Germany?

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

There are strong rumours we will eventually be buying A's to supplement the expected UCAV fleet.

bigfatron

Post by bigfatron »

Traveller wrote:Someone remind me why the raf didnt order the A model? Are we back to hiding in forests in Germany?

Well they did try and change the order to C variants when they had second thoughts about sticking catapults on the carriers, which would've been the ideal 'fits all' solution if they wanted to interchange airframes between the RAF and Navy.

flashman8

Post by flashman8 »

because HMG don't have a clue about what our forces really need...................... :facepalm:

they should have kept the Harrier instead of `giving` them away to the USA so we could buy the F35........... :mad:

remember when TSR2 was in development but that was scrapped so we could buy the F1-11 from uncle Sam, only for that deal to fall through after the jigs were destroyed for the TSR2 and it was too late.......................... :clown: :dizzy: :wall:
Sony A700, A550, , Minolta 135, 500, Sigma 10-20, Sony 18-70, 50,70-300GSSM,Tamron 17-50,90mm

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

when we look back at this latest episode in defense procurement in perhaps 20 years time or so, how likely is it that we will glad that our money was spend so wisely and it turned out to be fantastic VFM?
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

Burleysway

Post by Burleysway »

How many will we actually buy, has that been decided? With both carriers being able to house 40 aircraft each, we'll need a fair few of them one would imagine.

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

ericbee123 wrote:Can I be the first to point out that "a quantum leap" would be the smallest possible leap.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum

That's what "quantum" means. A "quantum leap" means some thing else - in this case "a sudden large increase or advance."
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

aviodromefriend

Post by aviodromefriend »

Burleysway wrote:How many will we actually buy, has that been decided? With both carriers being able to house 40 aircraft each, we'll need a fair few of them one would imagine.
That would mean they will both be fully equipped at the same time. Can't see THAT happening.
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

bigfatron

Post by bigfatron »

aviodromefriend wrote:
Burleysway wrote:How many will we actually buy, has that been decided? With both carriers being able to house 40 aircraft each, we'll need a fair few of them one would imagine.
That would mean they will both be fully equipped at the same time. Can't see THAT happening.

Its not even a given we'll ever operate both carriers if I remember rightly. Isn't the decision on whether to put into service or immediately mothball the second one due in next year's review?

bigfatron

Post by bigfatron »

flashman8 wrote:because HMG don't have a clue about what our forces really need...................... :facepalm:

they should have kept the Harrier instead of `giving` them away to the USA so we could buy the F35........... :mad:

remember when TSR2 was in development but that was scrapped so we could buy the F1-11 from uncle Sam, only for that deal to fall through after the jigs were destroyed for the TSR2 and it was too late.......................... :clown: :dizzy: :wall:

Far from a given though that the TSR2 programme would've been restarted on the back of the F-111 delays/cancellation even if tooling was still available. The F-111K was cancelled due to its rising costs and sterling vanishing down a hole, yet the projected purchase/operating costs of TSR2 would've been higher still.

davidjones533

Post by davidjones533 »

Last edited by davidjones533 on Sun 22 Jul 2018, 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

stratocaster

Post by stratocaster »

It was said months ago that both will be in service and next sdsr will be a reverse of what has previously been IE,we're going to increase the size of our armed forces,More ships/tanks/Phoons etc etc Why? Just look at the imminent brand new cold war and the I.S mess etc and who knows what else will be kicking off around the corner! The world is becoming more like Lothian road on a Saturday night!!
Card carrying aviation addict!

Traveller

Post by Traveller »

Indeed both will enter service. Whether both are actually at sea at the same time I don't know. 48 was the initial requirement. If you think of 20 aircraft on each giving a 50% availablility rate of 10 (would they really need any more?) then add in perhaps 2 squadrons of RAF to replace the Tornados plus 10 OCU/OEU I reckon 80 tops??

With 120+ Typhoon I think a 200 strong fighter force for the UK is an adequate number in this day and age.