Loud bangs heard all over the UK

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
sismore

Loud bangs heard all over the UK

Post by sismore »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... cause.html

Apologies for posting an article from the Daily Fail but it does basically covers it. Some of the tweets and comments are to be laughed at but what are your thoughts?

(please move if I have posted in the wrong section)

tommo999

Re: Loud bangs heard all over the UK

Post by tommo999 »

Would be interested to know more - was definitely woken up by bangs I could feel through my bed at about the time specified. Normally very sceptical about these things...passed them off as fireworks at the time, but ya never know!

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

They certainly sounded like sonic booms.

We know a "project" is moving from groomlake to Edwards in 2015 which usually means it's coming into the light.

What was the cause? I'd place my money on a classified aircraft either the LRS-B, the Amarillo aircraft, the SR-72 or something completely unknown perhaps the strange craft photographed in groomlakes pan a few years back.

Andy

MRTT

Post by MRTT »

Heard them as well, I knew my local Christmas lights were being turned on so I thought it was a fireworks display but it was much to loud for that.
2016 Shows
Duxford Spring
Weston
Cosford
Yeovilton
RIAT
Bournemouth
Jersey

Rule 27

Post by Rule 27 »

Nothing heard in Manchester, so whatever explanation you want to use, it didn't happen here.

someguy1

Post by someguy1 »

I was looking out the window for a while to try and figure out what it was, just assumed it was a firework. I guess we will never know what it may have been.

AARDVARK

Post by AARDVARK »

Yeah it's called 5th November ;)

bigfatron

Post by bigfatron »

Rule 27 wrote:Nothing heard in Manchester, so whatever explanation you want to use, it didn't happen here.

There was some unexplained loud bang in Salford midweek, not that things going bang in Salford is normally unusual in itself.

Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

One of the firing ranges at Lydd was active yesterday - dont know if there are any exercises going on at the moment that could explain it.

cfan

Post by cfan »

SW London I heard some strange bangs between 9-9.30 :ninja:

RRconway

Post by RRconway »

I did hear something on Saturday morning about 02:00 - 02:30, four lots of 3 bangs about 30 - 60 seconds apart I think?
Fireworks not unusual throughout November in West London but at 02:00 ish and as regular as this was odd.
I know you think you understood what I said, but I'm not sure you realise that what I said is not what I meant.

FGR2

Post by FGR2 »

I was out in Canterbury last night and didn't hear anything, mind you we may have been in a pub at the time though ;)

Parents heard the bangs in South Essex.

One of my mates (when we got in from the bars at 3.30am) saw a shooting star. Nothing unusual there, but wonder whether it was something burning up in the atmosphere causing a boom?

neilos

Post by neilos »

boff180 wrote:They certainly sounded like sonic booms.

We know a "project" is moving from groomlake to Edwards in 2015 which usually means it's coming into the light.

What was the cause? I'd place my money on a classified aircraft either the LRS-B, the Amarillo aircraft, the SR-72 or something completely unknown perhaps the strange craft photographed in groomlakes pan a few years back.

Andy

If that is the case :dunno: , be interesting to see if anyother parts of Europe heard them.

What was the strange aircraft photographed on the pan?

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

I'd still go with the meteor/space debris falling through the atmosphere theory. More plausible than secret squirrel aircraft flying around.

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

DanH

Post by DanH »

I heard this in Worthing on Saturday night. Like many others I put it down to fireworks. Apparently this was heard all the way over in New York as well. :shock:
Always seeking to lower the tone...

https://danhphotography.picfair.com/

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Hmm I think I heard this too in Exeter although I could be wrong.
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

duxfordhawk

Post by duxfordhawk »

I live in the Croydon area and was at friends that night, none of us heard a thing or if we did we didn't notice. The recording to me sounds like fireworks rather than anything else.
It is a an interesting mystery when you include the story of the loud bang/explosion in Salfords Manchester on the 25th November and an explosion on the A1 at the weekend too. I am not buying the secret aircraft thing, but cannot offer an answer either. Also on Twitter a few people claim heard more bangs last night, so I wonder if some is just internet talk.
Martin
To see my Photos go to
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dxhawk/

stratocaster

Post by stratocaster »

Nothing heard in Edinburgh.
Card carrying aviation addict!

LennyL

Post by LennyL »

That's not surprising - you were probably all pished celebrating St Andrew's Day...
Lobster by name, Lobster by nature...

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

So......a super-stealthy secret aircraft with engine(s) which make very loud bands......am I the only one to see a dichotomy here..... :whistle: :lol:
Nowt heard in Cardiff or , it would appear , anywhere else in Wales.
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

FGR2

Post by FGR2 »

bigfatron

Post by bigfatron »

FGR2 wrote:Daily Mash are on the case :)

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/war/ ... 4120193337

The Daily Mail also ran a story of their usual lazy quality, dragging out the old mythical Aurora project. It would some record for keeping a dark programme that dark considering the alleged sightings/incidents go back 25 years now. I never quite understood the relevance (or at least versus its likely cost if it is a manned system) of such a platform in the current age anyway.

EDIT: sorry, it was the article the OP referenced with the Aurora bit in it. Had replied to threads in a few places about this bang phenomenon and lost my bearings.
Last edited by bigfatron on Mon 01 Dec 2014, 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sismore

Post by sismore »

For those who were near Croydon and this goes for that recording too, there was a large fireworks display that took place at the same time when most of them loud bangs were heard, this was also stated in the first article that the Daily mail online published and was the only explanation the police for these bangs.

So that hopefully can explain the noises some of you may have heard around that area... The rest well that's still anyone's guess :ninja:

stratocaster

Post by stratocaster »

LennyL wrote:

That's not surprising - you were probably all pished celebrating St Andrew's Day...

That joke would have worked had we actually celebrated it,but very few Scots do! :biggrin:
Card carrying aviation addict!

sismore

Post by sismore »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... ekend.html

This is another theory, buts its so secret that they know what it looks like..... :facepalm: