History of flying displays

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
Nicke

Re: History of flying displays

Post by Nicke »

Now added North Weald Air Tattoo for 1971, This was the precursor to what has now become RIAT.

https://www.historypin.org/en/north-weald-airfield/geo/51.718655,0.15734,3/bounds/12.627149,-28.055551,72.889826,28.370231

Nick

Wes_Howes

Post by Wes_Howes »

Constellation - Air Atlantique??? I certainly don't remember that!

I did have cosford programmes going back to '91 (my first at the tender age of 4) but I think they've gone to the great pulping machine in the sky after moving quite a bit :sad:

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

Wes_Howes wrote:Constellation - Air Atlantique??? I certainly don't remember that!:

Was it the MAC one which came over from the States and was supported through the tour by AA?
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

st24

Post by st24 »

iainpeden wrote:
Wes_Howes wrote:Constellation - Air Atlantique??? I certainly don't remember that!:

Was it the MAC one which came over from the States and was supported through the tour by AA?

Yes the gorgeous MATS schemed one.
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

st24

Post by st24 »

Gaydon RAFA Air Day, 17 August 1975.
The third and final RAFA event at Gaydon, as the station closed and the show moved to Coventry where it developed into a really first class show for the next 10 years or so. Standard RAFA fare with good RAF participation and the only foreigner being the RNethAF with a Starfighter, as they had done at the other shows. From my Dad's pics and cine film, a beautiful sunny day and everything turned up as listed. Vintage pair Meteor pilot, Derek Fitzimmons went on to become the first RAF Hawk solo pilot in '77 and was still involved with Valley up until a few years ago. 43Sqn Phantom flew it's last season with underwing tanks that must have added to the g loading whilst going through a full aerobatic sequence, these were removed from 1976 onwards. 1975 was the last year for Gnat solo displays, flown by Keith Marshall who had won the Wright Jubilee Trophy. VFW614 was an odd addition but the show had strong Rolls Royce connections which continued with the move to Coventry. Tiger Club were much in evidence and had the dubious honour of closing the show!

You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

Wes_Howes

Post by Wes_Howes »

st24 wrote:
iainpeden wrote:

Yes the gorgeous MATS schemed one.

Aha, yes, I remember that one, didn't realise AA had supported it's visit.

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

Wes - to be honest, neither did I, it was an educated guess.
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

Pablo

Post by Pablo »

st24 wrote:Image

That's a nice-looking programme. Maybe it's not exactly the stand-out item, but I'd like to have seen Philip Meeson's FA-200 display!

Finningley Boy

Post by Finningley Boy »

st24 wrote:
Spiny Norman wrote:

One notable omission from that superb line-up, unless "Gnat" meant 9?!

No it was a 4FTS Gnat solo. You must remember , Battle of Britain at home days - especially when held on the 15th were a big deal. That day in 1973 saw Leuchars, Biggin Hill, Abingdon, Cottesmore and Coltishall all having sizeable airshows - the Reds were certainly at Abingdon, maybe Cottesmore and so they couldn't be everywhere!
The 2 Phantom displays were provided by RAF 43 Sqn and the newly resident (from Yeovilton) 892NAS/POCU. Gannets and Buccaneers also flew from the Navy. The solo Hunter was from 229OCU, plus a formation of 4 from 4FTS- the seldom seen "Dragons" team.

FarnboroJohn wrote:A Belfast display!!!? Never seen such a thing - would like to though!

John

Very impressive! Back then the RAF displayed pretty much everything - and there was a lot to display from Chipmunk to Belfast.... Halcyon days.... :cool:

Just read this and would like to add a couple of points; St Athan was also held on the 15th while Finningley was held on the 8th September '73, the latter was held a week early to avoid clashing with the nearby Doncaster St Ledger. The Red Arrows displayed at Finningley on the 8th and at Abingdon and Biggin Hill on the 15th, Cottesmore and St Athan got the PDF (11 Magisters), the Dutch F-104 displayed at Finningley along with a Mirage III pair from France. The famous Belgian 'Slivers' displayed at Biggin Hill having been at Leuchars for the previous three years B.O.B. displays. Anymore? :cuppa:

FB :biggrin:
I have danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings!

Finningley Boy

Post by Finningley Boy »

john001 wrote:I have been meaning to do this for a while as I had not seen it on the site. If I have missed it please delete this.

This thread is about what the site is about - UK airshows. The aim is to get the flying programme from as many displays as possible (my interest is pre 2000 or even pre 1975) but I am sure others will want to include other shows.

It is only about the flying display nothing more - no lists of static or numbers - start another one if you want that! :smile:

Feel free to comment if you were there and an item did not turn up or was different or you can clarify an item such as in my first one (French Air Force???)

We can see how it goes - maybe there's no interest...

First one from me is Biggin Hill Battle of Britain Day 1963

Fav act would be the four Javelins!

Bear in mind that the programme here was only one of 15 concurrently held. :dizzy:

FB :biggrin:
I have danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings!

Shortfinals

Post by Shortfinals »

Certainly, the Finningley displays I was involved with were some of the happiest times of my life. I remember a B-52 'role demo' that finished up with the captain asking if we would like a fast pass. The 52 disappeared into the far distance, lined up on the centreline, then shovelled all the available coal into the TF-33s (at least, that's what it looked like from the huge black cloud which appeared behind the aircraft). As he howled past crowd centre, the nose went up, and up....and up.....

The 52 looked like it was climbing at an angle of about 45 degrees. He finally pushed over at about FL120, having neatly 'punched' through the bottom of the local airway (there were some noises about that!)

Happy days..............
Director, Engineering & Airframe Compliance, The People's Mosquito Ltd
Principal, Air Show Consultants