UKAR's Top 10 UK 'Airshow Moments' of 2015

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
UK Airshow Review
UKAR Staff

UKAR's Top 10 UK 'Airshow Moments' of 2015

Post by UK Airshow Review »

Top 10 UK 'Airshow Moments' of 2015 - Now into it's seventh year, our run down of 10 of the UK Airshow season's greatest moments is back and better than ever with comment from display pilots, airshow organisers and commentators, as well as exclusive video.

Image Image Image Image Image

Do you agree with our choices? Have your say in this thread, and let us know what your airshow highlights from the summer of 2015 were.

TKK 140

Re: UKAR's Top 10 UK 'Airshow Moments' of 2015

Post by TKK 140 »

Excellent review, I would reverse 1&2 in my top 10 on the basis that the Goodwood event was historically more significant and with reputedly 30,000 people in attendance to remember the few, it was a sight and atmosphere that may not be repeated.
I also would have found a place for one of the excellent Shuttleworth shows, probably the last one including the Vulcans last airshow display, but I will not argue on any of the points.
Thanks UKAR and Happy New Year to you and all.

Here 's hoping for a fantastic 2016!

CJS

Post by CJS »

Yep, looks about right to me. Happy new year UKAR and thanks to all the staff for their hard work during 2015, it's much appreciated :-)

Edit - I think I'd find space for the Ramex Delta too - UK debut and all that. But what to leave out...? Dunno. Personally the Blenheim I think. I love it but I think that's what I'd swap if I had to.
Last edited by CJS on Thu 31 Dec 2015, 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

dskxalive

Post by dskxalive »

As much as I wasn't keen on them, I think the UK debut of Ramex Delta should have been included somewhere in the list. Saying that however, I wouldn't know what they should be swapped with. The list is pretty much perfect.

I completely agree with XH558 taking the Number One spot, much deserved and a memorable display I will not forget for a long long time!

Mark

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

CJS wrote:Yep, looks about right to me. Happy new year UKAR and thanks to all the staff for their hard work during 2015, it's much appreciated :-)

Edit - I think I'd find space for the Ramex Delta too - UK debut and all that. But what to leave out...? Dunno. Personally the Blenheim I think. I love it but I think that's what I'd swap if I had to.

Happy New Year back :-)

It would have been very easy this year to put together a top class top 15 or even top 20, who knows what will make it into our 2016 list ;-)

MRTT

Post by MRTT »

Agree with most if not all of them, nicely chosen this year!

Would like to wish all the staff members a Happy New Year, thank you for your hard work in 2015! :clap:
2016 Shows
Duxford Spring
Weston
Cosford
Yeovilton
RIAT
Bournemouth
Jersey

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

Good feature guys, thanks for taking the time to write this.
Hard to argue with the list, I might have put the DX spit tail chase at 2 but fair do's for 558 at 1, could only be her really. Could argue the Goodwood event was not an airshow though :smile:
Happy New Year all UKAR readers, UKTopgun.

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

It might be worth mentioning in number 9 that the the reason James Nicolson is remembered is that he was Fighter Command's only VC of WW2.

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

UKTopgun wrote:Could argue the Goodwood event was not an airshow though :smile:

Meets the Cambridge Dictionary definition :smile:

AndyXH558

Post by AndyXH558 »

I have to agree with all of that although i would say that maybe the Sea King would be considered.
Life's a piece of S*** if you look at it!

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

You're all very quiet this year?

Take it you all agree with the choices then? :grin:

CJS

Post by CJS »

What apart from all (but one) of the comments which disagree with bits of it?

:-P ;-)

It's a well written and thought through article. I don't think I'm alone in thinking the standard of journalism in the UKAR reviews is almost always of a extremely high standard, both aesthetically and rationally.

Long may it continue :-D
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

melodrama

Post by melodrama »

Fine choices and some great background info on the French Navy's superb contribution to Yeovilton. Often, the story behind the display can really make the display itself all the more special and this was one of those cases. Like others here I would have included Ramex Delta's Mirages among the displays in the top 10 probably at the expense of the superb Rich Goodwin. The main reason being that Mirages are the best looking fighter jets ever made (sorry Hunters!) and their RIAT performance was exciting, raw and ... kind of different.