Important notice regarding visits to RAF Scampton

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
vulcan558

Re: Important notice regarding visits to RAF Scampton

Post by vulcan558 »

Thought that landing an aircraft is said to be a controlled crash.

Wes_Howes

Post by Wes_Howes »

Isn't that a carrier landing?

helired3

Post by helired3 »

i posted this to give the heads up i just hope the advice given by the Reds and Scampton is heeded :smile:
Ian Harris https://www.flickr.com/photos/ian_harrisuk/

Nikon D750
Nikon D500
Nikon 500mm pf
Nikon 300mm pf

tankbuster

Post by tankbuster »

helired3 wrote:i posted this to give the heads up i just hope the advice given by the Reds and Scampton is heeded :smile:

Quite right too and don't be disappointed if it turns into an argument about the rights and wrongs of end of runway shooting. Scampton posted a very polite and courteous explanation and I'm sure everybody (most people) here will adhere to their request. But that doesn't mean that we can't question the whole etiquette of end of runway shooting.
Trevor C
recent and not so recent pictures here https://trevorc28a.wixsite.com/trevspics

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

:up:
Regardless of whether or not people agree with their actions & the subsequent request from RAFAT , there's one simple fact.....Their playground , their ball , so their rules.
Whether or not everyone spotting there will take notice is another matter....maybe it'll take a few more 'shutdowns' by the ATC before everyone realises how seriously they're taking it.

As for the discussion about runway lengths.....am I right in my recollection regarding 'formation landings' ( in the case of RAFAT , 9-10 aircraft landing one behind the other ) , that each aircraft lands further back up the runway than the previous one , so that whilst the first aircraft may touch down several hundred meters or more from the threshold the final one in the stream could actually be touching down very near to the threshold ?
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

I've listened to RT for many Teams during landing, so my memory could be clouded! (hopefully not 8/8?) I believe the Reds land sequentially 1 thru 9/10/11 on the right & left of runway centre-line, then pulling to the extreme right or left as appropriate to maintain a clear 'whole-length' of runway down the middle. If Reds 1 & 2 rolling @ taxi-speed reach the far-end of the runway before the last a/c declares "Red XX, speed under control" they will hold until the 'last man' takes his place. Only then will Red 1 reform the Taxi-in formation. IIRC.
Therefore, theoretically they could all land sequentially on the same touchdown-point. In reality it really depends on available runway length at each display location. Take Gilze Rijen for example where I have seen them land as described by Brevet C', then at Fairford it's not uncommon for Red 1 to turn a short downwind leg & arc the base-leg to a low finals & t/d. Each subsequent team member is progressively higher & can elect to land longer/shorter for separation reasons, especially if using just a RH downwind instead of both.
Back on topic, clearly it's ok to stand at the fence on the centre-line when an a/c it departing, what can go wrong? Well, I got clever after the Russian Knights visited Scampton!!...But if you want utter stupidity Google 'Blown by the Bone' at Cottesmore for near-tragic but luckily mainly comic results.
Bottom-line is DON'T be a :clown: NEVER stand under the approach or extended departure-end of any active runway...for any reason!

tankbuster

Post by tankbuster »

Stagger2 wrote:I've listened to RT for many Teams during landing, so my memory could be clouded! (hopefully not 8/8?) I believe the Reds land sequentially 1 through 9/10/11 on the right & left of runway centre-line, then pulling to the extreme right or left as appropriate to maintain a clear 'whole-length' of runway down the middle. If Reds 1 & 2 rolling @ taxi-speed reach the far-end of the runway before the last a/c declares "Red XX, speed under control" they will hold until the 'last man' takes his place. Only then will Red 1 reform the Taxi-in formation. IIRC.
Therefore, theoretically they could all land sequentially on the same touchdown-point. In reality it really depends on available runway length at each display location. Take Gilze Rijen for example where I have seen them land as described by Brevet C', then at Fairford it's not uncommon for Red 1 to turn a short downwind leg & arc the base-leg to a low finals & t/d. Each subsequent team member is progressively higher & can elect to land longer/shorter for separation reasons, especially if using just a RH downwind instead of both.
Back on topic, clearly it's ok to stand at the fence on the centre-line when an a/c it departing, what can go wrong? Well, I got clever after the Russian Knights visited Scampton!!...But if you want utter stupidity Google 'Blown by the Bone' at Cottesmore for near-tragic but luckily mainly comic results.
Bottom-line is DON'T be a :clown: NEVER stand under the approach or extended departure-end of any active runway...for any reason!

I see no reason at all for following that advice. Scampton may be a special case and the base has courteously requested that people observe that request especially as there may be danger to the aircraft and crew if it is not observed. If I was at Scampton I would conform to the base's request and I hope everyone else will do the same. I shall continue to delight in standing under 27L.
Trevor C
recent and not so recent pictures here https://trevorc28a.wixsite.com/trevspics

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

vulcan558 wrote:Thought that landing an aircraft is said to be a controlled crash.

Its also said that any landing you can walk away from is a good one.... thread readers and contributors should consider whether that also includes them!

John