The People’s Mosquito

Discussions regarding historic aircraft, restoration and preservation etc
Brevet Cable

Re: The People’s Mosquito

Post by Brevet Cable »

Presumably the same demands will now be made of the person posting as 'BPAG' & those posting on the Shackleton tread, then......
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

Brevet Cable wrote:Presumably the same demands will now be made of the person posting as 'BPAG' & those posting on the Shackleton tread, then......

But it was never a demand, just a suggestion to help provide a little transparency. Whether other groups decide to follow suit remains to be seen, but it won't be demanded of them to do so.

Pringles

Post by Pringles »

sdad wrote:Transparency was all we ever needed, not high-handedness. As I said, this is a problem across the board here - not just with TPM.

Erm...
Tue 20 Sep 2016, 7:05 pm
Shortfinals wrote:Ross Sharp
Director, Engineering & Airframe Compliance
The People's Mosquito

Sat 29 Jul 2017, 1:56 pm
Director Engineering, TPM

Thu 03 Aug 2017, 5:43 pm
Director, Engineering, TPM

Then the day you asked, both I and Bill told you, before Ross expanded. There was absolutely no need for your sarcastic message nor insinuation as to high-handedness :cuppa:
If life gives you melons then you're probably dyslexic

sdad

Post by sdad »

1) I don't know which post you think is sarcastic because I can find none.
2) I suggested formulating a signature (going forward) - not a dig back through months of the thread for other mentions.
3) My reply was to shortfinals, not to those who elucidated (note "your history", "your current position").
4) High-handed? What would you call it when someone gives their life's history and tells of all the other things he "Could" have done when asked for just their current position (note "official part of the... team"?

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

Let's leave it there guys, you've both made your points, and I see no need to continue down this avenue of conversation as the matter is resolved, if you wish to continue your discussion please do it via PM.

sdad

Post by sdad »

Quite happy to. Please will you be able to suggest to other mods what you have said about signatures for postholders speaking in that capacity?

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Sooooooo, a Mosquito flying in the UK. That'd be good wouldn't it.

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

sdad wrote:Quite happy to. Please will you be able to suggest to other mods what you have said about signatures for postholders speaking in that capacity?

Yes, I'm more than happy to raise your suggestion with the rest of the team.

Spiny Norman wrote:Sooooooo, a Mosquito flying in the UK. That'd be good wouldn't it.

It would be rather splendid indeed.

BillRamsey

Post by BillRamsey »

Glad that’s all sorted! We’ll keep trying our best to get you a Mosquito back where it belongs.

Bill

Bill Ramsey
Operations Director
The People’s Mosquito.

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

BillRamsey wrote:Glad that’s all sorted! We’ll keep trying our best to get you a Mosquito back where it belongs.

Bill

Bill Ramsey
Operations Director
The People’s Mosquito.

Hurrah! FBVI is the plan isn't it? Have we had the colour scheme argument and is it too soon to have it again? :lol:

John

BillRamsey

Post by BillRamsey »

Hi John, FBVI remains the plan ( although Tsetse has an obvious appeal!). Colour schemes I’m sure will be up for discussion - we would like to think occasional changes (as per 474) would be possible and appropriate. Do you have a favourite Mossie scheme? I suppose I should open that up to anyone on this forum.

Regards

Bill

Ops Director etc

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

Something like this with a black underside would be a little different from the other Mossies out there.

Shortfinals

Post by Shortfinals »

That FB.VI scheme would very closely resemble that currently worn by TV959. There are a great deal of opportunities to consider. As Bill said, we would aim to launch as an FB.VI, but by the careful addition/subtraction of one Al alloy panel, and a selection of nose and wing-mounted aerials, we could 'produce' an aircraft resembling examples of around ten different Marks of Mosquito, including FB.40, FB.26, FB.XVIII, T.III, T.27, NF.II, etc. If you allow the use of 3-bladed propellers, (rather than 4) we can even turn-out something which resembles the prototype Sea Mosquito, as flown by our late Patron, Captain Eric 'Winkle' Brown! The main difficulty with these changes is not the cost of the physical additions/subtraction or the time (easily accommodated in the winter 'off season'), but the cost of the respray. Also note that there is a limit to the number of coats of paint allowed (three top coats on the rudder for example, before a complete strip) and you will need to re-fabric the aircraft at some stage. Money is the only factor; that and deciding which colour scheme to choose from which country's air arm - U.K., France, Belgium, South Africa, New Zealand, Australia, Norway, Canada, United States, former Yugoslavia, Israel, Turkey, former Czechoslovakia, Dominican Republic, etc,

We are blatantly going to borrow the well-established BBMF pattern, and when we can afford it, we intend to ring the colour scheme and Mark number changes very, very widely. It might be that we would run a public competition to determine the 'colour scheme/air force' after the initial painting - who knows? All suggestions welcome!
Director, Engineering & Airframe Compliance, The People's Mosquito Ltd
Principal, Air Show Consultants

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

Ah, I didn't realise TV959 was now in a night intruder scheme, should've Googled before posting!

As you say, how about an FB.XVIII coastal command scheme, or an NF.II scheme, they would both be something a little different.

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

jalfrezi wrote:Ah, I didn't realise TV959 was now in a night intruder scheme, should've Googled before posting!

As you say, how about an FB.XVIII coastal command scheme, or an NF.II scheme, they would both be something a little different.

Coastal Command dark grey upper with red or yellow spinners would be excellent.

Failing that a 633 Squadron scheme would be alright too.

Oh and for those who remember its incarnation by Airfix, there's a Molins gun at Salisbury Hall...

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

I am also a fan of the dark grey (Extra Dark Sea Grey is it?) uppers with Sky lower surfaces exhibited by Banff Wing Mosquitos. And its a scheme not so far used on any restored aircraft.

I suppose 633 Squadron's letters are also in the frame sooner or later - but you really need a bomber with bulged bay for that, albeit RR299 used to have a similar scheme and then fly with a sort of half-way scheme using full height code letters instead of the small film ones in its latter years. The camouflage in the film is non-standard as well, based on diagonal wavy stripes rather than the Air Ministry pattern. That would, as with the film's dedication, stand as a monument to all RAF, Commonwealth and Allied Mosquito crews: but ringing the changes with real squadrons and authentic schemes is more fun.

Just don't paint different squadron codes on each side, please!

John

Shortfinals

Post by Shortfinals »

The Banff Strike Wing scheme would work very well, I must admit, and 333 (Norwegian) Sqn would be most appropriate. Also, No 100 Group is an Affiliate of The People's Mosquito (check out our Affiliate scheme, it is a worldwide co-operative grouping of restoration/aviation organisations, which is already paying off), and one of their night-intruder FB.VI or long-range NF.II would work nicely. There was some discussion about an all-black NF.II, but that is a low priority at the moment. Another discussion has centered around an FB.VI from 'Operation Jericho', or a night intruder from No 2 Group on D-Day. We are spoilt for choice, but we would welcome your views. As I said, we are aiming to follow - shamelessly - the BBMF model of ringing the changes with regard to colour schemes to commemorate individual crews, prominent operations, and wartime campaigns along with a selection of post-war schemes. As I mentioned earlier, we are fortunate in being able to make fairly simple physical changes (similar to the BBMF removing the 20mm cannon from their Hurricane IIc aircraft, to 'produce' earlier versions) which will give us a very wide range of options from the introduction of the NF.II with No 157 Sqn in January, 1942 right through to Strike Wing operations in the Baltic with the FB.VI at the end of WW2.
Director, Engineering & Airframe Compliance, The People's Mosquito Ltd
Principal, Air Show Consultants

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Spiny Norman wrote:Failing that a 633 Squadron scheme would be alright too.

:hide: Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :surrender:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

CJS

Post by CJS »

You'd rather that than no Mosquito though, wouldn't you Caper? :grin:
Buy the sky and sell the sky and lift your arms up to the sky and ask the sky"

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

CJS wrote:You'd rather that than no Mosquito though, wouldn't you Caper? :grin:

As long as the Whirlwind is painted as Budgie the helicopter! :biggrin:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

CJS

Post by CJS »

capercaillie wrote:

I don't know what you could possibly be suggesting, but there were some very accurate schemes in that series. Exhibit 1:

:tongue:
Buy the sky and sell the sky and lift your arms up to the sky and ask the sky"

vulcanshammer

Post by vulcanshammer »

capercaillie wrote:

Don't you mean Harold the Helicopter? :smile:
The sooner the world runs out of cotton wool the better

st24

Post by st24 »

capercaillie wrote:
Spiny Norman wrote:Failing that a 633 Squadron scheme would be alright too.

:hide: Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :surrender:

This, with a few more oooooooooos! Poor old RR299 looked and sounded fab but spent it's entire civvy life as a made up aeroplane with no historical significance other than it was a functioning Mossie.
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

HeyfordDave111

Post by HeyfordDave111 »

Is it just me or are we getting way ahead of ourselves here?

I’d like to see a mosquito in the air again and hear those 2 merlons, but really? This project isn’t close to delivering that.
Once it is and something tangible is out there to see, then I suggest this is nothing more ( asking for certain colours etc) than a wish list, rather than a discussion.

Dons hat, waits for barrage. :snack:
Got to love Russianhardware

borismorris

Post by borismorris »

I'd take a pink with purple spots scheme on a Mossie over no Mossie at all...