The People’s Mosquito

Re: The People’s Mosquito

Postby Spiny Norman on Tue 06 Mar 2018, 8:48 pm

Always thought this project would garner support and glad that it's going from strength to strength.

However, money talks and 'other stuff' walks and it will only fly if funded. As Bob Geldof might say: give them your money!
I want to see a flying Mosquito in the UK. I'm supporting The People's Mosquito.
http://www.peoplesmosquito.org.uk/
User avatar
Spiny Norman

Re: The People’s Mosquito

Postby Brevet Cable on Tue 06 Mar 2018, 9:24 pm

Always thought this project would garner support

I didn't, given it's initial launch & the reaction to negative comments on the various forums.
I'm happy to have been proved wrong, though.
Ever since I stopped coughing up dosh towards XH558, what I was donating to VTST has gone to other projects.
I guess this year some of it will find it's way into TPM's coffers.
Brevet.. Meh !!
Not an enthusiast or a spotter
trollpikken fforwm swyddogol
User avatar
Brevet Cable

Re: The People’s Mosquito

Postby BillRamsey on Tue 06 Mar 2018, 10:36 pm

Hi One and All, thanks for the positive response to this initiative. Your general thrust that in the end it’s all about the money is of course absolutely correct. Believe me, we have no illusions about that and we spend a lot of time addressing the question. Hopefully producing a Mossie in the U.K. for the first time in 70 odd years might help us with that if it catches people’s imagination. I thought maybe it’s worth commenting on your general view regarding our ‘poor start’ ( as you know I wasn’t there, so not directly). I think we have come a long, long way since then. It has involved luck, hard work and learning lessons along the way - then adapting the plan as our experience has grown. I guess what I’m saying is that whenever you start a project like this (lots of examples on UKAR) you have no idea of the scale of the undertaking - it’s just enthusiasm in buckets.

Rest assured we are as determined and enthused as ever to get this thing done.

Regards

Bill
BillRamsey

Re: The People’s Mosquito

Postby Shortfinals on Wed 07 Mar 2018, 2:04 am

Seahornet wrote:The latest developments have tipped the balance for me; what used to be my "Vulcan allowance" (which I've had to spend on chocolate for the last couple of years... :biggrin: ) will henceforth be heading in TPM's direction, whenever I can spare a few pounds. :smile: For a start, I've joined the club, and I'm already engrossed in all the online magazine back-issues.


Thank you, SH, for joining our TPM Club. I dare say that the ever-efficient Sandra (our Club Secretary) has already got your Membership Card and distinctive Club Lapel Badge on the way to you. I hope that you are enjoying the back issues of 'Mossie Bites', our quarterly online Journal. Right from the start, we said we would aim for a Journal that offered good quality articles and enhanced the Membership experience wherever possible. We have already broken some good stories, including one on the former IJN base at Iwakuni, Japan during the Korean War, with exclusive photographs. Heck, you might even get to like some of my bits in 'Affiliate Focus'! Our free, online newsletter, 'The Buzz' (complete with fetching logo) offers immediate coverage of TPM news items and is easy to sign-up for. Watch for more exclusives as we get rolling into the 2018 season.

Yes, the effort to 'Build A Mossie For Britain, In Britain' has just started, and there is a long way to go, but we think there has been a 'sea change' - or, possibly in your case, a 'Sea Mosquito' change!

Once again, thank you for your support - it is heartening.
Director, Engineering & Airframe Compliance, The People's Mosquito Ltd
Principal, Air Show Consultants
Shortfinals

Re: The People’s Mosquito

Postby Shortfinals on Wed 07 Mar 2018, 3:01 am

Brevet Cable wrote:
Always thought this project would garner support

I didn't, given it's initial launch & the reaction to negative comments on the various forums.
I'm happy to have been proved wrong, though.
Ever since I stopped coughing up dosh towards XH558, what I was donating to VTST has gone to other projects.
I guess this year some of it will find it's way into TPM's coffers.


Thank you for that pledge BC, every single donation helps. As Bill says, projects evolve, and we recognise the paramount need for money, and we are addressing that in as many ways as possible. Indeed, we would welcome the involvement of UKAR Members in proposing various methods of fund-raising, both large and small. We do not claim to have all the ideas - you might well have a winning one!

Just to emphasise this one, vital, point - there is not a single paid Director on the Board. No-one on TPM's Board draws a salary. I can say with absolute certainty that it has cost every single Director money (either directly or indirectly) to do what we are doing - and has done from Day One. We are doing this for the love of the job (you would be astonished at the number of hours a week that John, Steve, Alan, Bill and Stewart put in, to say nothing of Nick Horrox, the talented Editor of 'Mossie Bites' and the hard-working Sandra, our Club Secretary). All I can say is that 'the job' takes as long as it takes - and often lasts into the early hours of the morning; for all of us; seven days a week.

This is The People's Mosquito, not something owned by a rich individual - it celebrates the carpenters in small woodworking shops, the ground crews toiling on muddy Lincolnshire airfields or sweating it out in Burma, the aircrew who regularly took off to risk everything; we're building it in their memory, we're building this for Britain, and we're building it for you!
Director, Engineering & Airframe Compliance, The People's Mosquito Ltd
Principal, Air Show Consultants
Shortfinals

Re: The People’s Mosquito

Postby Shortfinals on Wed 07 Mar 2018, 4:20 am

Sorry about the double post, folks!

I have absolutely no idea how that happened!
Director, Engineering & Airframe Compliance, The People's Mosquito Ltd
Principal, Air Show Consultants
Shortfinals

Re: The People’s Mosquito

Postby Dan O'Hagan on Wed 07 Mar 2018, 9:34 am

Shortfinals wrote:Just to emphasise this one, vital, point - there is not a single paid Director on the Board. No-one on TPM's Board draws a salary. I can say with absolute certainty that it has cost every single Director money (either directly or indirectly) to do what we are doing - and has done from Day One. We are doing this for the love of the job


:clap: :clap: :clap:

Bravo. Well done. How refreshing that charitable giving for this aeroplane will not be diluted or syphoned off into salaries and pension pots for a select few.

Once airworthy, I dare say paid engineers will become a necessity, but until then the money should be 100% focussed on producing an aeroplane.

TPM's approach (and refreshing openness) serves to further underline how indefensible the "business" model at Doncaster has been from the second the wheels touched down on the final flight.
Dan O'Hagan

Re: The People’s Mosquito

Postby UKTopgun on Wed 07 Mar 2018, 7:25 pm

Which is why you will no doubt see more swing this season away from giving to 558 (does anyone still?) towards this project.

In past seasons I have been aware of TPM stand at DX etc but like many was always a little sceptical.
The news about the progress this week will prompt me to donate to TPM this year for the first time.
Now truly the People's aeroplane I think.
UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Re: The People’s Mosquito

Postby Shortfinals on Wed 07 Mar 2018, 9:22 pm

UKTopgun wrote:Which is why you will no doubt see more swing this season away from giving to 558 (does anyone still?) towards this project.

In past seasons I have been aware of TPM stand at DX etc but like many was always a little sceptical.
The news about the progress this week will prompt me to donate to TPM this year for the first time.
Now truly the People's aeroplane I think.


Thanks in advance UKTG; I would like to say that joining the TPMCLub is rattling good value at £25 a year. As well as benefits (discounts at several sites with your Membership card, for example) and a tasteful lapel badge, you get access to all the back issues of an all-colour online Journal covering the history of the Mosquito, museum visits, airshows, aircrew memories and much more. 'Mossie Bites' is free with your Membership. Oh and we also have our own cider, 'Wooden Wonder' from Ciderniks (delivered in UK only, I'm afraid - a donation from the sales of every bottle goes to TPM!) http://shop.ciderniks.com/products.html

As I said, we will try almost every fund-raising route to get The People's Mosquito into the air.

Cheers!

Ross
Director, Engineering & Airframe Compliance, The People's Mosquito Ltd
Principal, Air Show Consultants
Shortfinals

Re: The People’s Mosquito

Postby tuska2 on Thu 08 Mar 2018, 1:02 pm

Brilliant positive posts! it certainly feels like this admirable project is getting some wind over the wings. Naturally there was a healthy level of scepticism to start,
probably driven by the conduct of some "other" projects, but I'm confident its going to be a runner, given time of course! I know I'll be contributing.
tuska2

Re: The People’s Mosquito

Postby Shortfinals on Thu 08 Mar 2018, 5:57 pm

tuska2 wrote:Brilliant positive posts! it certainly feels like this admirable project is getting some wind over the wings. Naturally there was a healthy level of scepticism to start,
probably driven by the conduct of some "other" projects, but I'm confident its going to be a runner, given time of course! I know I'll be contributing.


Thanks in advance, T2 ! As you can imagine, the TPM Team has been running flat out since we issued the latest Press Release outlining the build by Retrotec. There are several interesting developments on the horizon, which have followed on directly from that; obviously, these are 'commercial in confidence', as they are still being developed, but as soon as they can be released, you will be amongst the first to know. I know that I am excited, and so are the rest of the Board. If any of you have Twitter accounts, please consider following @peoplesmosquito or placing a People's Mosquito 'Twibbon' on your avatar - every little thing helps spread the word about The People's Mosquito.

Please interact with us on UKAR (where Bill Ramsey and I will field your questions and comments) or on TPM's Facebook page, or the 'Say Hello' section of http://www.peoplesmosquito.org.uk We are doing our very best to make this whole process as open and interactive as possible, allowing for the necessary commercial constraints, of course. Our new website is being well-received, especially the spectacular photography of Neil Hutchison (for which much thanks, Neil, and also the hard work of Steve and Stewart)

I cannot emphasise enough the fact that becoming a Member of the TPM Club really makes a difference. There are many benefits, including a quality online Journal, 'Mossie Bites', four times a year. and at £25 annual subscription, it is a bargain, all of which goes towards supporting the build.

As an aside, if you have absolutely nothing else to do, you could always take refuge with my rather dodgy aircraft photography on @GRossSharp. You will have to watch out for the usual #MossieMonday Tweetstorm, of course!

Cheers

Ross
Director, Engineering & Airframe Compliance, The People's Mosquito Ltd
Principal, Air Show Consultants
Shortfinals

Re: The People’s Mosquito

Postby Shortfinals on Tue 13 Mar 2018, 10:34 pm

I thought that I should share this recent comment on TPM's website from the 79th Entry, RAF Halton

“Well done, TPM Board.
Since the beginning of 2018 you have taken the hard decisions in the face of unwelcome opposition, set a new course with the intent to build and test in UK, and committed to one of the best manufacturers of wooden airframes.

With all this good news in such a short time your club members can really believe that The People's Mosquito will take to the skies.
Congratulations from the 79th Entry, RAF Halton Apprentices (Trenchard's Brats).”

We feel truly honoured by this.
Director, Engineering & Airframe Compliance, The People's Mosquito Ltd
Principal, Air Show Consultants
Shortfinals

Re: The People’s Mosquito

Postby Spiny Norman on Thu 15 Mar 2018, 8:08 pm

Shortfinals wrote:I thought that I should share this recent comment on TPM's website from the 79th Entry, RAF Halton

“Well done, TPM Board.
Since the beginning of 2018 you have taken the hard decisions in the face of unwelcome opposition, set a new course with the intent to build and test in UK, and committed to one of the best manufacturers of wooden airframes.

With all this good news in such a short time your club members can really believe that The People's Mosquito will take to the skies.
Congratulations from the 79th Entry, RAF Halton Apprentices (Trenchard's Brats).”

We feel truly honoured by this.


And rightly so. When you think of all those who have worked on Mosquitoes and all their families and all those who built them and all those who flew them, there must be tens of thousands of people connected pretty closely to the aircraft. Now if all of them bought a t-shirt, or joined the club...
I want to see a flying Mosquito in the UK. I'm supporting The People's Mosquito.
http://www.peoplesmosquito.org.uk/
User avatar
Spiny Norman

Re: The People’s Mosquito

Postby Shortfinals on Sun 18 Mar 2018, 4:11 pm

Guy Black has announced HAC's latest 'At Home' at Duxford...featuring a presentation on the DH.9 and the upcoming Mosquito project for TPM

http://www.historicaircraftcollection.l ... _home.html
Director, Engineering & Airframe Compliance, The People's Mosquito Ltd
Principal, Air Show Consultants
Shortfinals

Major development - TPM brings you wings!

Postby Shortfinals on Thu 29 Mar 2018, 12:08 am

Major news from The People's Mosquito

"At the beginning of March, The People’s Mosquito struck an important deal with suppliers in New Zealand. TPM has now acquired all the CAD data relating to the wing construction, as well as the complete set of wing jigs used to fabricate the wings on KA114, TV959 and most recently PZ474, the ongoing Avspecs restoration for Texan Rod Lewis.

This latest acquisition represents another step forwards in our plans to deliver the first UK-built de Havilland Mosquito in more than 75 years.

We are currently examining the most cost effective way of shipping the jigs to the UK, along with our own wing ribs, which have already been completed. All the jigs and ribs will need to undergo rigorous assessment by Retrotec to gauge suitability for a UK CAA regulatory environment. However, the wealth of CAD data represents a significant acquisition for the project and will be of great benefit to Guy Black and his team."

Thought you should see, this, gentlemen.

Post moved into main TPM thread for consistency by UKAR Staff
Director, Engineering & Airframe Compliance, The People's Mosquito Ltd
Principal, Air Show Consultants
Shortfinals

Re: The People’s Mosquito

Postby boff180 on Thu 29 Mar 2018, 5:30 am

It’s a positive step but can I just query...

The post intimates that it’s unknown whether the Ribs that have already produced are to CAA spec or will be approved for flight by the CAA?

Surely these should have been checked with, and approved by the CAA prior to commencing fabrication and/or, after the first was produced?

Andy
User avatar
boff180
UKAR Staff

Re: The People’s Mosquito

Postby Jakesplanes on Thu 29 Mar 2018, 8:15 am

Shortfinals wrote: we also have our own cider


Shut up and take my money! :yahoo:
IG profile "jakesplanes"
Jakesplanes

Re: The People’s Mosquito

Postby Shortfinals on Thu 29 Mar 2018, 3:25 pm

boff180 wrote:It’s a positive step but can I just query...

The post intimates that it’s unknown whether the Ribs that have already produced are to CAA spec or will be approved for flight by the CAA?

Surely these should have been checked with, and approved by the CAA prior to commencing fabrication and/or, after the first was produced?

Andy


Dear Andy,

At the time these ribs were produced, they were subject to the Civil Aviation Authority of New Zealand's Rules, Part 21, e.g.

"The purpose of Part 21 is to prescribe the requirements for the issue of documents for products, their components, and appliances to allow for their use in the New Zealand aviation environment.

Part 21 is based on the New Zealand airworthiness requirements previously contained in New Zealand Civil Airworthiness Requirements and those equivalent requirements of the US Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) and the European Joint Aviation Authority (JAA)."

Please note that there is no exact equivalent or, indeed, any 'automatic' reciprocity between the CAA of NZ and the UK's CAA. There is a close working relationship between the two bodies, but each aircraft exported from NZ to the UK is treated on a case by case basis.

When TPM initially formulated their plan, RL249 was to be constructed in NZ, inspected by NZ inspectors (with a couple of liaison visits by UK CAA staff), put onto the NZ Register, then test flown and shipped to the UK on a NZ export category C of A.

Now that the build has shifted to the U.K., the CAA will wish to satisfy themselves that their particular regulations have been complied to with regard to these particular ribs. Different regulatory environment, different inspectors, same high regard for airworthiness and safety. We have confidence that Retrotec will meet any CAA requirements; they are noted for their scrupulous adherence to regulations, and have an experienced staff used to dealing with such matters.

Thanks for allowing me to explain

Ross
Director, Engineering & Airframe Compliance, The People's Mosquito Ltd
Principal, Air Show Consultants
Shortfinals

Re: The People’s Mosquito

Postby cg_341 on Thu 29 Mar 2018, 3:31 pm

Excellent honesty and openness Ross - most refreshing. Interesting to hear that there's no reciprocal agreements between the NZ CAA and the UK one!
cg_341

Re: The People’s Mosquito

Postby Shortfinals on Thu 29 Mar 2018, 4:42 pm

cg_341 wrote:Excellent honesty and openness Ross - most refreshing. Interesting to hear that there's no reciprocal agreements between the NZ CAA and the UK one!



Thanks very much CG - much obliged. As Bill Ramsey and I said at the time, we will be as open as we can be (always making allowances for personal data and 'commercial in confidence matters', of course). I am sure that you would have got the same reaction from any other member of the TPM team.

You raise an interesting general point regarding the two regulatory environments. I think that it is not well known that there is no exact equivalence between the CAA of NZ and the UK's CAA. There is a cordial relationship, and individuals on both sides know each other well, but every 'NZ tail' that comes into the UK 'orbit' does so on a case by case basis (e.g. Fletcher FU-24). John Lilley, the MD of TPM, and I had an in-depth conference with the CAA at Gatwick regarding the New Zealand build, and it was explained that we could run G-FBVI (our rather fetching civvy registration) as an NZ tail for up to 12 months in the UK before putting it on the British Register, but we decided to go straight to G-FBVI instead.

Do stay tuned for future developments. I understand that the forthcoming HAC 'At Home' at Duxford is possibly already sold-out (please check with HAC, for details). Guy Black will be talking about the superb DH9 restoration, as well as TPM's de Havilland Mosquito! Several TPM Board Members should be there on the day.

Sign up for 'The Buzz', our free email newsletter, for up-to the minute details http://www.peoplesmosquito.org.uk/ on our project to build what is, in reality, your Mosquito. We will be publishing our UK airshow schedule soon. Do come along to the TPM tent and meet the staff. We answer questions! Please note that several of us will be at RIAT; I'll be on the stand there (in the Blue Zone) if you have any specific technical queries.

Cheers

Ross
Director, Engineering & Airframe Compliance, The People's Mosquito Ltd
Principal, Air Show Consultants
Shortfinals

Re: The People’s Mosquito

Postby boff180 on Thu 29 Mar 2018, 4:50 pm

Thanks for coming back to me with a detailed and honest answer. Certainly something I didn’t know.

Andy
User avatar
boff180
UKAR Staff

Re: Major development - TPM brings you wings!

Postby Spiny Norman on Thu 29 Mar 2018, 4:51 pm

Shortfinals wrote:Major news from The People's Mosquito

"At the beginning of March, The People’s Mosquito struck an important deal with suppliers in New Zealand. TPM has now acquired all the CAD data relating to the wing construction, as well as the complete set of wing jigs used to fabricate the wings on KA114, TV959 and most recently PZ474, the ongoing Avspecs restoration for Texan Rod Lewis.

This latest acquisition represents another step forwards in our plans to deliver the first UK-built de Havilland Mosquito in more than 75 years.

We are currently examining the most cost effective way of shipping the jigs to the UK, along with our own wing ribs, which have already been completed. All the jigs and ribs will need to undergo rigorous assessment by Retrotec to gauge suitability for a UK CAA regulatory environment. However, the wealth of CAD data represents a significant acquisition for the project and will be of great benefit to Guy Black and his team."

Thought you should see, this, gentlemen.

Post moved into main TPM thread for consistency by UKAR Staff


It's another step forward in this project. Has the RAF done any C-17 familiarisation trips to NZ? Support in-kind I believe it's called...
I want to see a flying Mosquito in the UK. I'm supporting The People's Mosquito.
http://www.peoplesmosquito.org.uk/
User avatar
Spiny Norman

Re: The People’s Mosquito

Postby Shortfinals on Thu 29 Mar 2018, 5:26 pm

boff180 wrote:Thanks for coming back to me with a detailed and honest answer. Certainly something I didn’t know.

Andy


No problem, Andy. I like your work on Flickr, by the way. Most impressive. If you ever want to go down-market and see 'average' photography at work (although including some rare/obscure aircraft) and have lots of spare time, you could always try @GRossSharp on Twitter, or my old blog, which is c.70% aviation https://shortfinals.wordpress.com/

Cheers

Ross
Director, Engineering & Airframe Compliance, The People's Mosquito Ltd
Principal, Air Show Consultants
Shortfinals

Re: Major development - TPM brings you wings!

Postby Shortfinals on Thu 29 Mar 2018, 5:31 pm

Spiny Norman wrote:
Shortfinals wrote:Major news from The People's Mosquito

"At the beginning of March, The People’s Mosquito struck an important deal with suppliers in New Zealand. TPM has now acquired all the CAD data relating to the wing construction, as well as the complete set of wing jigs used to fabricate the wings on KA114, TV959 and most recently PZ474, the ongoing Avspecs restoration for Texan Rod Lewis.

This latest acquisition represents another step forwards in our plans to deliver the first UK-built de Havilland Mosquito in more than 75 years.

We are currently examining the most cost effective way of shipping the jigs to the UK, along with our own wing ribs, which have already been completed. All the jigs and ribs will need to undergo rigorous assessment by Retrotec to gauge suitability for a UK CAA regulatory environment. However, the wealth of CAD data represents a significant acquisition for the project and will be of great benefit to Guy Black and his team."

Thought you should see, this, gentlemen.

Post moved into main TPM thread for consistency by UKAR Staff


It's another step forward in this project. Has the RAF done any C-17 familiarisation trips to NZ? Support in-kind I believe it's called...



Hi SN; I know that there was a recent A400M deployment which was part of a wider Far East 'promotional tour'. At this moment, we are open to using any safe, secure method of transfer to the UK (preferably via air, of course)
Director, Engineering & Airframe Compliance, The People's Mosquito Ltd
Principal, Air Show Consultants
Shortfinals

Re: The People’s Mosquito

Postby Shortfinals on Wed 25 Apr 2018, 1:44 pm

Just thought I would let you know........

http://www.peoplesmosquito.org.uk/2018/ ... programme/

TPM's Affiliate programme is picking up steam. As well as IBCC, we have just garnered support from the Australian War Memorial Museum, MOTAT in New Zealand and the Ditsong Military History Museum (who have a Mosquito PR.XI) in South Africa. The last one is so new it isn't even on the List yet. All this activity means better research - for all concerned - and wider appeal to more people.
Director, Engineering & Airframe Compliance, The People's Mosquito Ltd
Principal, Air Show Consultants
Shortfinals

PreviousNext

Return to Aviation Waffle

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: borismorris, TomTwin and 35 guests