Lancaster flypast Bristol area in July

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
CJS

Lancaster flypast Bristol area in July

Post by CJS »

Evening all

I received confirmation today that the Lancaster will be performing a flypast at an event I'm (now!) helping to organise on 16th July this year. :-) :-o :-D

Looking at their calendar though they have no dates booked between RIAT on the 10th and Sunderland on the 22nd.

Obviously I'm not complaining, it's fantastic to have got the flypast, but I just wondered if anyone knew where they'll likely be coming from / going to on the 16th to mean I got lucky??

They only give flypasts if it fits with a transit route and I know the Reds for one don't deviate much from their route home or to their next display.

Just curious is all (and pretty bloody excited to boot ;-))

Thanks, Chris
Last edited by CJS on Thu 14 Apr 2016, 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Buy the sky and sell the sky and lift your arms up to the sky and ask the sky"

WG655
UKAR Staff

Re: BBMF Flypasts?

Post by WG655 »

Congratulations on the flypast! The BBMF now only tend to publish their participation in flying displays, with flypasts generally being announced just a few days before the event, or in some cases on the day itself (by pilots listing their routings).

As the Lancaster rarely lands away from Coningsby, it could well be that your event is one of a number of flypasts that the aircraft will visit on a 'round-robin' type sortie if no major events are listed on the BBMF's site.

Hope that makes some sense!

CJS

Post by CJS »

It surely does, thank you for that.

I do feel extremely fortunate given how far we are from Conningsby, it'll be a delight to see her overhead - 3 passes too (none of this blink and you'll miss it rubbish you get from the Reds ;-))

WG655
UKAR Staff

Post by WG655 »

Fantastic news, particularly after last season's absence by the aircraft. BBMF flypasts give a much better feeling of the power and presence of the aircraft and I'm sure it'll be a great spectacle! The Reds are more stringent about flypast venues needing to be en route, happy to be corrected but I believe the BBMF generally aim to perform at as many venues as possible, provided they are in sensible locations. Their major limiting factor is restrictive annual flying hours for each airframe.

Now, let's just hope for calm winds and good serviceability... :hide:

CJS

Post by CJS »

Definitely right about the Reds criteria for flypasts. I pulled in a massive favour to get that a few years ago!!

And don't worry, everything shall remain crossed and the naked anti rain dances have begun. The neighbours don't like it much but needs must ;-)

CJS

Bristol area Lancaster flypast in July

Post by CJS »

Sorry to bump this again but if anyone is interested in the details - it'll be three passes apparently - pm me.

It's the Bristol area but I'm not going to post exactly where as it would give away exactly where I work and I'd sooner not do that :-)

CJS

Re: Lancaster flypast Bristol area in July

Post by CJS »

Sorry bumpety bump again.

Had confirmation of the flypast will be at 1435 on the 16th July. Hopefully tracking S-N just to the East of the M32 north of Bristol. If you want a more exact location drop me a PM. Due to give 3 flypasts, weather / serviceability allowing etc...
Cheers, Chris

CJS

Post by CJS »

Flypast will now be at 1436 by Spitfire P7350 - my all time favourite individual aircraft :love: :yahoo: :win:

Fingers crossed the cloud isn't the spoiler tomorrow! :surrender:

DeltaPapa

Post by DeltaPapa »

It did a cracking flypast at Metheringham Visitor Centre on Tuesday for the 106 Sqn reunion.

CJS

Post by CJS »

Doh!!

A no show today - unless she was more than an hour late! Nevermind, always next year!

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

She was an hour late at Yeovil. Flew over at 3:45. Three passes then headed off East towards Sherborne, heading for Boscombe Down. Sorry Chris.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

CJS

Post by CJS »

Just spoke to Andy (or Tony?) Milligan the pilot - scuppered by the weather apparently and had to fly roundit on the way down to you. Must say they've been excellent communicating with me throughout.

The amount of people at the event asking me where the Red Arrows were though! Think people hear flypast and assume :-).

Next year hopefully.

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

CJS wrote:Just spoke to Andy (or Tony?) Milligan the pilot - scuppered by the weather apparently and had to fly roundit on the way down to you. Must say they've been excellent communicating with me throughout.

The amount of people at the event asking me where the Red Arrows were though! Think people hear flypast and assume :-).

Next year hopefully.

Andy Millikin is the CO of the flight I think. I'm guessing the weather was the cause of the delay in the first place, but I'm sorry you lucked out after all the prep you did.
As you say though, there's always next year. You'll just have to request a full BBMF three ship and the Red Arrows!
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

CJS

Post by CJS »

3 ship? I want the Dakota too :-P

roger w

Post by roger w »

Not wanting to rub salt in, but she flew over me in the south of Bath at 2.45. Quite low with topside pass. Weather has varied between bright sun and thick low clag on and off all day. Very difficult for VFR flying, not much else about at all.