Canberra WK163 to be restored to flight

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
Ledhead27
UKAR Staff
Location: Inverness (and occasionally 20,000ft - if the aircraft can make it that high)

Re: Vulcan XH558: The Next Chapter

Post by Ledhead27 »

So it appears that the project will be as follows:

The restoration of the World Record Breaking Canberra, WK163
"PostMan, FuelMan, SpamCan, NoPlan, CivviMan, Dan"

UKAR Party Plane Captain

4 out of 5 baguettes

Reds Rolling

Post by Reds Rolling »

Ledhead27 wrote:So it appears that the project will be as follows:

The restoration of the World Record Breaking Canberra, WK163

Really? Wow I hope so, we need all the classic jets we can get. :up:

I may even be tempted to throw some cash in the pot for a Canberra.

Thumper
UKAR Supporter

Post by Thumper »

Interesting, so we have Mosquito to the Sky and Canberra to the Sky.

So is the Canberra a purchase by VTTS or just like the Mossie and it's simply VTTS lending a helping hand? The first thing that Canberra needs is to be under cover.

Speaking of Canberra's, I wonder what's happening to the airworthy XH134 which did not sell at Bonhams :dunno:

Reds Rolling

Post by Reds Rolling »

Thumper wrote:Speaking of Canberra's, I wonder what's happening to the airworthy XH134 which did not sell at Bonhams :dunno:

Can't see it staying on British shores in the current climate, well not flying anyway! :sad:

WG655
UKAR Staff

Post by WG655 »

Thumper wrote:Speaking of Canberra's, I wonder what's happening to the airworthy XH134 which did not sell at Bonhams :dunno:

This, this, this. :clap:

Suspect, if proven correct, the VTST argument will be the airframe's provenance - but surely XH134 has a pretty good provenance also, being the last RAF display aircraft (a la '558) as well as the last variant in service.

Ludicrous decision making, surely it'd be better to keep XH134 airworthy and have WK163 as a static/much longer term restoration project? :hide:

Reds Rolling

Post by Reds Rolling »

Depends how much they bought WK163 for, and a rebuild would seem to fit better with their business model of restoration projects.

That said, it's a damn shame to see XH134 left languishing.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

At the moment , it would appear the answer is........nothing.
Still listed as owned by Midair.
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

Thumper
UKAR Supporter

Post by Thumper »

Quite odd, the final bid on it was £45,000, the guide price was £50,000 - £70,000 so presuming the reserve would have been £50,000. I was expecting a deal to be struck with that final bidder but clearly it just all went quiet and as you say the Canberra is apparently just sat there doing nothing now!

Gregg

Post by Gregg »

The PR9 is a single stick. They would face huge difficulty in converting crews on it. The one they've bought is a twin stick. No such crew conversion issues.

Russ

Post by Russ »

Just a thought, but are they absolutely precious about the old Vulcan display pilots, many of whom are getting on a bit - that they have to retain them, whatever the aircraft(s) they try to restore in the future? This isn't meant disrespectfully to the Vulcan pilots at all.

Whereas the PR9 is seemingly, cheap, available, serviceable (arguably), there's also pilots around qualified and willing to fly it? If VTTS want a quick fix and to stay in the public eye, then getting the PR9 would've made sense. Whereas a lengthy restoration of another type, is much more difficult, costly and time consuming.

WG655
UKAR Staff

Post by WG655 »

Gregg wrote:The one they've bought is a twin stick. No such crew conversion issues.

Happy to be corrected, but I don't believe that's the case...

http://ipmscanberrasig.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoid=196546579

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

I fear whatever VTTS plans are for WK163, the current climate of hysteria around classic jets will make it unviable. The way the CAA are behaving, it's one thing to restore it, quite another to allowed to, or afford to, fly it.

WK163's a lovely aeroplane, but I fear legislation and the post-Andy Hill climate will scupper VTTS.

CJS

Post by CJS »

It strikes me it must be for one of the reasons mentioned already or the airworthy one is actually earmarked for someone else but we don't know about it yet.

Otherwise it's a strangely odd decision surely?? Also as Joe's link proves, it's not a twin stick craft they have bought in to.

Weird if you ask me although I'll be more than happy to see it flying again of course!
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

andygolfer

Canberra WK163 to be restored to flight

Post by andygolfer »

the latest VTST newsletter just dropped into my inbox - sent a day early to announce the VTST team's project to restore Canberra WK163 to flight by 2018 (for RAF centenary)

extract:
“WK163 embodies so much that is remarkable about British courage and innovation in the Jet Age; qualities that she can continue to inspire in us all,” states Dr. Robert Pleming, who led the team that returned XH558 to flight and is now chief executive of Vulcan to the Sky Trust. “I am thrilled to announce that the Trust plans to restore and fly her for the British public, as we did with Vulcan XH558, with an education programme around her to inspire new generations of engineers and aviators.”

here's a link to the full on-line version: https://mxm.mxmfb.com/rsps/m/sOylTr_0Sa ... uMDbRfbjCQ

andy
andygolfer

winner of Air-Britain photo competition 2019

paullangford

Post by paullangford »

Canberra B2/6 WK163 it is then :up: .............good choice, I look forward to making a contribution in getting it airborne :cuppa:
Last edited by paullangford on Sun 22 May 2016, 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Russ

Re: Canberra WK163 to be restored to flight

Post by Russ »

Good luck to them, would love to see it fly again. :up:

But...

SILVER LEVEL - £163 or above: Receives the rewards detailed above plus a detailed cut-away diagram of a Canberra,* showing the structure and major components, together with an A5 history booklet.*

:sick: :hide:

Adamwilliams132

Post by Adamwilliams132 »

Great news! Be nice to see a Canberra back in the air.
Doubt Joe public will love it as much as the Vulcan though.

Shyft87

Post by Shyft87 »

just when we thought we'd seen the last of the 'Vulcan village', along comes the 'Canberra Canopy'...

Pat Murphy

Post by Pat Murphy »

Great news :clap: Now for 124 pages of mudslinging, till they retire it in Private....at the wrong location :handbag:

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Russ wrote:But...
SILVER LEVEL - £163 or above: Receives the rewards detailed above plus a detailed cut-away diagram of a Canberra,* showing the structure and major components, together with an A5 history booklet.*

:sick: :hide:

People will either pay it , or they won't ( and you missed out the 'Bronze' & 'Gold' packages )
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

craig.mason

Post by craig.mason »

I see the vulcan boys have a new toy to play with it will be nice to see a canberra on the airshow circut good luck to them
Canon 550D
EF-S 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 IS II Lens
EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II
EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III USM

Russ

Post by Russ »

Brevet Cable wrote:People will either pay it , or they won't ( and you missed out the 'Bronze' & 'Gold' packages )

No, just highlighted the Silver one.

Can I just say when it's retired it should go to Bruntingthorpe. :wink: :tongue2:

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Another one that started at Bruntingthorpe as well, where they scrapped poor old XH568 which was flying first in private hands.

At this rate we'll soon have Lightning to the sky, then the CAA will start having kittens. :biggrin:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

aviodromefriend

Post by aviodromefriend »

Well, that is a project that at least has more credibility than a Mosquito. Have they contacted the pilot that flew the one in private hands that was at RIAT a few years ago (wasn't it called something with Midlands? at least the venture collapsed)
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

Skylinerworld

Post by Skylinerworld »

Is there no hope for the Midair Squadron Canberra now then?
Search 'AirportsAroundTheWorld' on FB
Search 'airports_around_the_world' on Insta
http://blog.skylinerworld.co.uk/