Airlander News & Discussion

Re: Minor incident for Airlander

Postby cg_341 on Thu 25 Aug 2016, 12:15 pm

Alanko wrote:Archaic language makes a change from the usual parlance; Waddo, Tonkas etc.

Indeed, it makes a welcome change from some of the spluff that members oft come out with!
cg_341

Postby Wissam24 on Thu 25 Aug 2016, 1:20 pm

Hampshire Aviation wrote:
Alanko wrote:Archaic language makes a change from the usual parlance; Waddo, Tonkas etc.

Indeed, it makes a welcome change from some of the spluff that members oft come out with!

Ending a sentence with a preposition; how uncouth...
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016
Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Postby Skyflash on Thu 25 Aug 2016, 1:27 pm

Wissam24 wrote:
Hampshire Aviation wrote:

Ending a sentence with a preposition; how uncouth...

Two prepositions, indeed! :mad:

To the stocks with him, I say!
Posting comments on an aviation-related chatroom, are ya? Looks like it an' all...
Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Postby Dragon Rapide on Thu 25 Aug 2016, 2:09 pm

There to have copies of Fowler thrown at him!
Listen to that Gipsy music.....

Dragon Rapide
Dragon Rapide

Postby NAM Updater on Thu 25 Aug 2016, 2:45 pm

Latest BBC reports suggest that Airlander may have hit a power cable.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-be ... s-37184864
Howard Heeley - Newark Air Museum Trustee
In 2018 we're hosting 8 special events
http://newarkairmuseum.org
NAM Updater

Postby Dragon Rapide on Thu 25 Aug 2016, 2:47 pm

That was actually reported elsewhere yesterday but I haven't seen any confirmation subsequently.
Listen to that Gipsy music.....

Dragon Rapide
Dragon Rapide

Postby TKK 140 on Thu 25 Aug 2016, 3:27 pm

pbeardmore wrote:I am a massive fan of "Outback Truckers" and those guys go though hell to get essential supplies into isolated locations. So I can see the potential.

Would an Mi-26 not do the same, without being subject to the same restrictions as an Airship?
TKK 140

Postby Russ on Thu 25 Aug 2016, 3:33 pm

Yes, but it means buying from the Russians, which at the moment is frowned upon in certain quarters. Particularly with a long term support contract.

Plus the Mi-26 has a very limited payload, potentially compared to the Airlander, particularly regarding large, wide/long, loads.
Russ

Postby Wissam24 on Thu 25 Aug 2016, 3:35 pm

Russ wrote:Yes, but it means buying from the Russians, which at the moment is frowned upon in certain quarters. Particularly with a long term support contract.

Plus the Mi-26 has a very limited payload, potentially compared to the Airlander, particularly regarding large, wide/long, loads.

Plus I guess nothing like the same level of endurance?

large, wide/long, loads.

heh
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016
Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Postby planenuttoo on Thu 25 Aug 2016, 4:56 pm

Looking at the damage this looks like it will set the project back a few weeks, but would be a good test of their design ability to build in some more strength to the structure.
planenuttoo

Postby Flankerman on Thu 25 Aug 2016, 6:42 pm

Russ wrote:Plus the Mi-26 has a very limited payload, potentially compared to the Airlander, particularly regarding large, wide/long, loads.

According to this link :- https://www.hybridairvehicles.com/downl ... der-21.pdf ....the Airlander 10 has a 'payload capacity' of 'up to 10,000kg' - 10 tonnes.

According to Wiki :- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mil_Mi-26 .... the Mi-26 has an underslung payload of 20,000kg - 20 tonnes.

Plus.... can the Airlander do this ?.........

Ken
Flankerman

Postby qwerty on Sat 27 Aug 2016, 11:41 am

Cost also has a bearing on bulky heavylift operations. Rotary lifts are at the top end of costs,consider the small number of moving parts in an Airlander on comparision to a helo or heavylift transport, the airship has a simplicity which cannot be bettered.
qwerty

Postby DanH on Sun 09 Apr 2017, 5:00 pm

According to the Hybrid Air Vehicles Facebook page, Airlander has been back outside for the last couple of days as the first step towards resuming the flight testing programme. Looks like they buffed out all the dents after their little prang last year.
Always seeking to lower the tone...
DanH

Postby capercaillie on Mon 10 Apr 2017, 10:33 am

qwerty wrote: the airship has a simplicity which cannot be bettered.

Unless its slightly breezy or worse......
"The surrogate voice of st24"
capercaillie

Postby Joe Spares on Mon 10 Apr 2017, 10:42 am

It was outside on Saturday, saw the top of it from the A428 (?)as we headed home from Lakenheath.
Joe Spares

Postby DanH on Sat 18 Nov 2017, 11:54 am

Airlander has had another incident this morning.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-engla ... s-42037832
DanH

Postby hunterxf382 on Sat 18 Nov 2017, 11:57 am

Not a "crash" - read the report! It was moored on its mast at the time of the incident. A sad sight in the photo accompanying the article :(

Edit: I see you've edited your post Dan H....
Pete Buckingham
Volunteer in Aviation
Former RAF Engineer
http://hunterxf382.weebly.com/
hunterxf382

Re: Airlander News & Discussion

Postby speedbird2639 on Sat 18 Nov 2017, 1:16 pm

Even if it is repairable/ the can build a replacement I can't help thinking that this is the end of the line for the Airlander. Not many potential customers are going to want to trust their cargo to something that finishes up in a hedge due to a light breeze.

The whole 'airship for cargo lifting' has been tried many times ( I remember seeing a documentary about a similar venture in 1980ish) but whilst it seems like a good idea on paper/ in simulations it never seems to transfer to actuality and potential customers seem very sceptical and unconvinced.
speedbird2639

Postby Flare Path on Sat 18 Nov 2017, 2:36 pm

Another incident, I see.

That's the Airlander dream finished - can't see many customers placing their trust in this.
Flare Path

Postby cg_341 on Sat 18 Nov 2017, 2:58 pm

787s on the other hand were absolutely spot on during flight testing. And when in airline service. And even now! Oh wait... :whistle:

The press release states that the aircraft was meant to be ripped open. How true that is is open for discussion!

cg_341

Postby Pringles on Sat 18 Nov 2017, 3:13 pm

Bit of a let down... :whistle:
If life gives you melons then you're probably dyslexic
Pringles

Postby DanH on Sat 18 Nov 2017, 5:03 pm

hunterxf382 wrote:Edit: I see you've edited your post Dan H....

Yeah on reading my post back afterwards I realised the wording was a bit rash. :up:
DanH

Postby helired3 on Sat 02 Dec 2017, 12:11 pm

insurance claim of up to £32m is being submitted by the company behind the world's longest aircraft.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-be ... s-42199281
Ian Harris https://www.flickr.com/photos/133062485@N05/

Nikon D750
Nikon D7200
Sigma 500 F4.5
Tamron 150-600 G2
helired3

Postby Dan O'Hagan on Mon 04 Dec 2017, 8:40 am

helired3 wrote:insurance claim of up to £32m is being submitted by the company behind the world's longest aircraft.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-be ... s-42199281

I'm guessing this *might* affect next year's premium.

Time to put this project to bed, once and for all. Nice enough idea, until you come to the practical realities.
Dan O'Hagan

Postby Talldan76 on Mon 04 Dec 2017, 9:08 pm

I have to say, that I completely agree with that.

They've given it a good go, but at the end of the day the project hasn't exactly set the world alight.

The other thing to note, is that if they are claiming for circa £32million, god know's how much the initial premiums must have been...
Talldan76
UKAR Staff

PreviousNext

Return to Aviation Waffle