Solway Nightshoot.

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
AndyXH558

Solway Nightshoot.

Post by AndyXH558 »

Just trying to canvas some interest in this nightshoot.

This is the message i got from Kieron. I need to know before the 15th of September if people are interested. the vulcan under moonlight is spectacular.

We have a provisional date, just going to firm it up in the next couple of days, but Saturday 15th October is looking the favourite. Sunset at 1812, moonrise at 1817 (full moon). I will arrange for the Vulcan to be cleared of all signs, covers, barriers etc., so if the sun is out and anyone wants to arrive early, clean daytime shots will be available as well. If we can get at least 15 people, who are willing to pay £20 in advance, then this will also entitle you to museum membership and entrance (£15 is the fee), and this will allow you to visit the museum as many times as you wish over 12 months. We are currently working on a quarterly newsletter regarding the museum and maybe Carlisle airport movements, and this will be sent to all members via email as part of the membership. I will need to get the Whirlwind cleaned up (bird droppings !) so that WV198 will be available, which is next to the Phantom. The Meteor is also in very good condition and as far as I can remember, we have not lit that up yet for a nightshoot.
Over to you to drum up some interest, and I will let you know within the next few days regarding the go-ahead. At that point then we can start a new thread - Solway Nightshoot. Let me know about the date though, is this suitable ?
Life's a piece of S*** if you look at it!

Hammy

Re: Solway Nightshoot.

Post by Hammy »

As much as I welcome the return of night-shoots to Solway, I can't see this will work. October already sees two similar events at Northolt and Bourne Park and, whilst they're both down south, three night-shoots in just over a fortnight is a bit much.

Should the desire to hold night-shoots at Solway on full moons persist, then I'd be happy to attend one in either February or November of 2017, but a third night-shoot in such a short space of time, announced at such short notice (comparatively speaking) isn't going to work for me.
Author, visionary, dreamweaver... Plus actor.

PSnet gallery
mwneedham.com

HeyfordDave111

Post by HeyfordDave111 »

15th of October is fine by me. :clap:
Yes please, count me in.
cheers
Dave
Got to love Russianhardware

AndyXH558

Post by AndyXH558 »

Thanks guys. just got to wait for the final details from solway. i know its a short time to do it. but it might be worth it, and we could arrange it for another time if there isnt enough people.

AndyXH558

Post by AndyXH558 »

Im not part of the museum. My friends and I just like nightshoots, and Solway are a great muesum with great people working in it.

Due to the short time span we had, as I only got the proper go ahead the other day. They are going to move it back till next year. Will keep you posted on when it is. But it will happen. The problem is that there are several nightshoots on around the same time in that week too.

Sorry about this but I will keep everyone posted of when, We really want it for the moonlight.... ok we live in the UK and cant guarantee it, but it does make a difference with the light on the Vulcan.

AndyXH558

Post by AndyXH558 »

Not a problem, Should have a date soon. I hope !!!

Kieron

Re: Solway Nightshoot Saturday April 8th

Post by Kieron »

Hi Andy and all,

We intend to hold a sunset and night shoot with Vulcan XJ823 on Saturday April 8th. All barriers, engine covers and any other bits and bobs will be removed, and if possible, some nav lights and cockpit lighting will be added. Time permitting, we will also have the Whirlwind WV198 available and maybe the Meteor as well. Cost per ticket is £20.00, and you are welcome to arrive early and have a look around the museum and take some daytime shots. We do need, however, 10 persons to make the event viable, so if you could register your interest on this thread, would be grateful.

Stevt20

Post by Stevt20 »

I would be interested in attending this so thats 1.

Hammy

Post by Hammy »

A real shame this clashes with Gazelle 50 and the Bulldog/Pup fly-in at Turweston as I'd have liked to have gone to it.

PSnet gallery
mwneedham.com

Dan O'Hagan

Re: Solway Nightshoot Saturday April 8th

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

Kieron wrote:Hi Andy and all,

We intend to hold a sunset and night shoot with Vulcan XJ823 on Saturday April 8th. All barriers, engine covers and any other bits and bobs will be removed, and if possible, some nav lights and cockpit lighting will be added. Time permitting, we will also have the Whirlwind WV198 available and maybe the Meteor as well. Cost per ticket is £20.00, and you are welcome to arrive early and have a look around the museum and take some daytime shots. We do need, however, 10 persons to make the event viable, so if you could register your interest on this thread, would be grateful.

At last, a sensibly-priced nightshoot. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Threshold.aero

Post by Threshold.aero »

Won't be the only one this year either... :whistle:

Kieron

Post by Kieron »

Hi all,
Update on the nightshoot...to avoid clashing with the Middle Wallop Gazelle event we may move the date for the nightshoot to Saturday 6th May. Will confirm the new date as soon as possible, but it should be okay..thanks

HeyfordDave111

Post by HeyfordDave111 »

Hi Kieron,

Thanks for the update, and the problem is you will always clash with something.

For instance, by now changing to May, you clash with the returners coming back from the Greek Phantoms retirement at Larissa, which I am attending, so it rules me out. Shame, but I'll go on the next one.

I think you need to pick and stick with a date, because for what your offering you should be able to get quite a few attending whatever the date. Also don't forget it stays a lot lighter in May than March for longer.

Cheers
Dave
Got to love Russianhardware

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

HeyfordDave111 wrote:Also don't forget it stays a lot lighter in May than March for longer.

Sunset at Carlisle on the 6th May is 20:57, so it would be a late one!

EGL

Post by EGL »

Saw mention on Twitter/Facebook yesterday that this has been pushed back to October.

[fb-post]https://www.facebook.com/solwayaviationmuseum/posts/1193177694127878[/fb-post]

Pringles

Post by Pringles »

The UKHAT of night shoots? :whistle:
If life gives you melons then you're probably dyslexic

Hammy

Post by Hammy »

Having recently moved jobs, I'm now available on weekends and would be interested in attending.

If of any use, I don't mind bringing some of our kit to help light the aircraft. They'd be of little use where the Vulcan is concerned, it's a bit big, but everything else is fair game.

PSnet gallery
mwneedham.com

Kieron

Post by Kieron »

Pleased to say that we have agreed a date, Saturday 7th October. Start time will be 6 pm, but if you wish to arrive earlier, feel free to do so. Hopefully, tea and biscuits will be provided as well. The plan is for the Vulcan, plus the Whirlwind (before it is placed under permanent cover), plus if time permits, as many of the other aircraft as possible. Cost per ticket is £20, payable on the day.
Hammy - you are more than welcome to bring extra kit so that we can light up as much as possible.

Chris G

Post by Chris G »

Lightning and Phantom would be a lot more appealing if it can be done please.