The most under-appreciated aircraft ever?

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
Ledhead27
UKAR Staff
Location: Inverness (and occasionally 20,000ft - if the aircraft can make it that high)

The most under-appreciated aircraft ever?

Post by Ledhead27 »

Something myself and fellow staff members were just discussing, but what is the most under-appreciated aircraft that tends to get ignored at airshows etc?

The conversation began when discussing the CASA C-295M, it's a type that tends not to get the blood boiling for many an enthusiast.

Would be interesting to hear what other people's opinions are.
"PostMan, FuelMan, SpamCan, NoPlan, CivviMan, Dan"

UKAR Party Plane Captain

4 out of 5 baguettes

Talldan76
UKAR Staff

Re: The most under-appreciated aircraft ever?

Post by Talldan76 »

"Dave / Piglet"

Lol...

romeo bravo

Post by romeo bravo »

Miles Magister or Tiger Moth. Where would all of those pilots learnt how to fly!

davidjones533

Post by davidjones533 »

Last edited by davidjones533 on Sat 11 Aug 2018, 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ledhead27
UKAR Staff
Location: Inverness (and occasionally 20,000ft - if the aircraft can make it that high)

Post by Ledhead27 »

romeo bravo wrote:Miles Magister or Tiger Moth. Where would all of those pilots learnt how to fly!

Back when these aircraft were serving with air arms I can imagine that was definitely the case. However the Magister, and particularly the Tiger Moth, could be regarded as very well celebrated aircraft with the likes of the Moth Rallies

UKAR Party Plane Captain

4 out of 5 baguettes

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

Does it have to be airshows? If not, I'd imagine the 737 is hugely under-appreciated by the aviation enthusiast. I often wonder how most people would get to foreign events if it weren't for the 737.

Dragon Rapide

Post by Dragon Rapide »

As a generalisation, I suppose the quieter and less "in your face" the display the more it will be ignored by the majority of spectators. There are exceptions to every rule of course and the Swift and GliderFX displays are a point in case.
Listen to that Gipsy music.....

Dragon Rapide

aviodromefriend

Post by aviodromefriend »

Any drone, especially the one that displayed out of sight at RIAT years ago.
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

Russ

Post by Russ »

Really difficult. Are we talking from an enthusiasts point of view or an operators? "Under-appreciated" could also fall under "taken for granted" - maybe because a type has been around so long and done so much.

I would say the C-130, as a type so common, but still such a workhorse around the world, in so many different roles and variants.

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

Grob Tutor. Beechcraft King Air. Shorts Tucano.
Training types always tend to go under the radar followed by transports. Probably because they're rarely seen as glamorous. Essential yes, but not glamorous, which is a pity as I love transports.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

Dragon Rapide

Post by Dragon Rapide »

I have always enjoyed the Tucano displays - some even more then others and the Kingair used to be very enthusiastically displayed until it was withdrawn halfway through 2014 I think.

Dragon Rapide

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

Dragon Rapide wrote:I have always enjoyed the Tucano displays - some even more then others and the Kingair used to be very enthusiastically displayed until it was withdrawn halfway through 2014 I think.

I was anticipating the return of the King Air with glee this year. Leon Creese's displays performed to 'Mr. Blue Sky were real showmanship. Although looking at some of posts here on UKAR it was obvious that some people didn't agree.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

Thumper
UKAR Supporter

Post by Thumper »

Boeing 'Super' Stearmans belonging to the Breitling Wing Walkers team. Thousands of hours, thousands of displays, thrown around and exerted to some rather decent g forces.

I also agree with the Grob, King Air and Tucano although I have always loved the Tucano display.

I also have a massive soft spot for PIGY, I'm always photographing that instead of the parachutists or whatever it's being a camera ship for!

aviodromefriend

Post by aviodromefriend »

The Baron wrote:Leon Creese's displays performed to 'Mr. Blue Sky were real showmanship. Although looking at some of posts here on UKAR it was obvious that some people didn't agree.
Show me just one. The King Air became disliked later, when another pilot had taken over and Mr. Blue Sky was dropped.
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

Daz

Post by Daz »

C-130 for me! It serves with many of the world's air arms, and civilian operators. But as its not as glamourous as a jet fighter, it gets overlooked. And is still going strong after 62 years of service.
Proud Grandson of an Avro Shackleton "boy"

Dragon Rapide

Post by Dragon Rapide »

It's always more impressive if you're lucky enough to catch one at 100m alt nearly above you on a low level cross country sortie.!!

Dragon Rapide

CJS

Post by CJS »

The Baron wrote:
Dragon Rapide wrote:I have always enjoyed the Tucano displays - some even more then others and the Kingair used to be very enthusiastically displayed until it was withdrawn halfway through 2014 I think.

I was anticipating the return of the King Air with glee this year. Leon Creese's displays performed to 'Mr. Blue Sky were real showmanship. Although looking at some of posts here on UKAR it was obvious that some people didn't agree.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, his display in 2009 just as the sun came out remains in my top 3 airshow moments.

For me the aircraft I think gets overlooked at airshows is the Jet Provost / Strikemaster. At a time when the number and variety of classic jets at shows seems to be tailing off, they remain nearly ubiquitous at many shows, especially the smaller ones, but barely rate a mention on here. The beautiful Strikey at RIAT this year got mentioned about once and I think I saw one photo. Perhaps not the most dynamic displays, but a classic jet we still see a lot of and should be more grateful for - imho of course. :-)
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

Ledhead27
UKAR Staff

Post by Ledhead27 »

Interesting to see a common theme of trainer types being the neglected types.

I think the question I'm asking is in reference to aircraft that could be seen, from an enthusiasts point view, at an airport/airshow/base etc. It doesn't necessarily have to be military types either, as Chris highlighted earlier with the 737.

UKAR Party Plane Captain

4 out of 5 baguettes

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

aviodromefriend wrote:
The Baron wrote:Leon Creese's displays performed to 'Mr. Blue Sky were real showmanship. Although looking at some of posts here on UKAR it was obvious that some people didn't agree.
Show me just one. The King Air became disliked later, when another pilot had taken over and Mr. Blue Sky was dropped.

Sorry, what I should have said was that it's return was not as readily appreciated by some as it was by me.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

DH121/Trident & HS748/Andover ..... so many innovative and aviation 'firsts' between them.
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

paullangford

Post by paullangford »

Cessna 172 Skyhawk.....................the VW Beetle of aircraft

Keefy041

Post by Keefy041 »

Hawker Hurricane .

Wes_Howes

Post by Wes_Howes »

paullangford wrote:Cessna 172 Skyhawk....the VW Beetle of aircraft

I don't find myself inexplicably hating the C-172 though. I'd liken the C-172 to a diesel Mondeo, nothing technically wrong with it but you just don't WANT one.

CH2

Post by CH2 »

Well of course its the Slingsby Venture T2 :biggrin:
Cheers,

Chris

Steve p

Post by Steve p »

Handley page halifax, bristol beaufighter, how about the humble Mil 8/17 built in there thousands and large numbers still in use today all over the world both cival and military but hardly gets a mention.