U2 Ellie

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
sopwithflyer

U2 Ellie

Post by sopwithflyer »

Some of you may remember U2 Ellie, the 9 year old girl that was on the news when she met the Dragonlady crews at Fairford.

I met her recently at a fly in and have kept in touch via facebook. Today she flew her first two solo flights and on her 14th birthday. A pretty decent achievement :smile: I am sure those that know her will wish her well. The U2 guys obviously did inspire her. :clap:

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Re: U2 ELLIE

Post by Wissam24 »

I imagine we have a future RAF F-35 display pilot lined up already!
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

sopwithflyer

Post by sopwithflyer »

Wissam24 wrote:I imagine we have a future RAF F-35 display pilot lined up already!

Just noticed she isn't far from you Sam, said she was in the air with a C17 circuiting at Exeter.

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

I'm actually in London now, but I'm amazed she's already flying heavy transports. :grin: :grin:
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

Thumper
UKAR Supporter

Post by Thumper »

Superb, what a great girl!! I wish her all the best and hope she goes far :clap:

Ouragan

Re: U2 Ellie

Post by Ouragan »

She was on the local BBC news programme this week. When asked what her goals are, she replied in the short term to gain further gliding certificates and learn to fly the Piper Cub her club uses, and long term to gain an aeronautics degree with a view to test piloting, specifically high altitude research. Best of luck to her, and I would not be at all surprised to see her get there.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Not inspired in the slightest by TC-T , then..... :whistle:
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

Ouragan

Post by Ouragan »

Possibly more so by the likes of Amy Johnson and Jacqueline Cochran, and many others.

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Ouragan wrote:She was on the local BBC news programme this week. When asked what her goals are, she replied in the short term to gain further gliding certificates and learn to fly the Piper Cub her club uses, and long term to gain an aeronautics degree with a view to test piloting, specifically high altitude research. Best of luck to her, and I would not be at all surprised to see her get there.

With ambitions like that at that age I've no doubt you're right.

sopwithflyer

Post by sopwithflyer »

Wissam24 wrote:
Ouragan wrote:She was on the local BBC news programme this week. When asked what her goals are, she replied in the short term to gain further gliding certificates and learn to fly the Piper Cub her club uses, and long term to gain an aeronautics degree with a view to test piloting, specifically high altitude research. Best of luck to her, and I would not be at all surprised to see her get there.

With ambitions like that at that age I've no doubt you're right.

She was on ITV west-country on Sunday evening too.

She was at the D-Day beach landings in the summer in a USAF marked L4. They asked her if girls make better pilots, she said she would never want to be better than the guys that died WW1/2. Think she flies that L4 a lot. When I met her she was flying a Eurostar (I think). Interesting to know who she does see as idols perhaps I will ask her on F/B

Ouragan

Post by Ouragan »

That must be the Cub she was referring to on the BBC.