5.01pm: RAF Typhoon Display
Canon 800D & Sigma 150-600 C
Dudley, West Midlands

Shows I'm Attending in 2020:

Well Um..

AndyXH558

Re: Airshow almost made-its

Post by AndyXH558 »

Diamond Lil at woodford 1992. Broke down before the show.
Life's a piece of S*** if you look at it!

NickB

Post by NickB »

capercaillie wrote:I thought the Delta Darts were rumoured for the first Fairford IAT in 1985?

A whole host of German test stuff from WTD61 was expected including a Bronco and G91 but in the end only the Canberra and an F-104 arrived from that unit, ETPS Lightning also made the programme static list.

To be honest I can't remember a lot of these such as the Greeks en masse at Waddo, or four CASA 111s at Cottesmore - where would they have come from with only one airworthy? Are they actual dropouts or just rumour mongering?

Three worst for me - The Shackleton from South Africa crashing en route to Fairford in 1994, the Be12 from the Russian Navy the same year not making it and the Harbin HJ-5 at Cottesmore 2001 having a crash landing while practising. All gutting! :sad:

I remember hearing the Delta Dart rumours for Fairford and it was definitely 1985.

Not sure about the USN F4s from the USS Coral Sea for GC IAT 1983 although makes sense. It was my first IAT and I was blown away by the types and sheer size of the show - I was only 11!
Still remember watching the Noratlas land - I was speechless!

NickB

Post by NickB »

A show that sticks in my head was RAF St Mawgan in I think 1984... all sorts of lovely French aircraft were due to arrive on the day - Mirages (IVs I think) and F8 Crusaders etc. Of course on the day the Cornish weather pulled out all the stops and the airfield was shrouded in 20kts of fog (only in Cornwall!!) for the majority of the day... come 6pm the skies cleared and we walked around a thin-ish static park in the evening sun...

st24

Post by st24 »

NickB wrote:
Not sure about the USN F4s from the USS Coral Sea for GC IAT 1983 although makes sense.

Yep, they definitely made a pre-show list..
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

At Leuchars airshow in 2012 the strength of the cross wind meant that the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight Spitfire was unable to land, after its display. This was a sickener as they had agreed to allow an ex-RAF veteran I know to get access to the aircraft. The next year it wasn't possible to get set up and with it being the last ever show at the base the chance was gone.

eddywinch82

Post by eddywinch82 »

ColeTheDemolisher wrote :-

Southport 2016

X = Cancelled

1pm: P-51 Mustang
1.12pm: The Blades Aerobatic Team
X 1.33pm: MIG 15
X 1.45pm: Vampire Pair
X 1.59pm: OV-10 Bronco
2.09pm: The Tigers Freefall Team
X 2.26pm: Jet Provost Pair
2.42pm: Fireflies Aerobatic Team
3pm: Red Arrows
3.30pm: Team Raven
3.45pm: Battle Of Britain Memorial Flight
X 4.08pm: Army Historic Aircraft Flight - Sioux & Scott
4.16pm: B-25 Mitchell
4.28pm: Swordfish
4.38pm: The Black Cats
4.49pm: P-40 Kittyhawk

The Norwegian Vampire Pair and MIG 15, did display on the Sunday at Southport very good they were, they were weathered in at Duxford Airfield during their September Airshow on the Saturday. As the weather in the East of the Country was very poor that day. And the Jet Provost pair, ended up being a solo Jet Provost both days. I was really disappointed not to see the Bronco both days, as I have never seen one display at an Airshow before, that I have been to.

parsley
UKAR Supporter

Post by parsley »

NickB wrote:A show that sticks in my head was RAF St Mawgan in I think 1984... all sorts of lovely French aircraft were due to arrive on the day - Mirages (IVs I think) and F8 Crusaders etc. Of course on the day the Cornish weather pulled out all the stops and the airfield was shrouded in 20kts of fog (only in Cornwall!!) for the majority of the day... come 6pm the skies cleared and we walked around a thin-ish static park in the evening sun...

Still remember that one....thought the day might be fated when photographing the Italian (I think ) F104's and you couldn't see the top of the Nimrod hangar in the murk....and of course the DC3 taking off to give a pleasure flight and then having to divert to Exeter because it couldn't get back into St Mawgan !

paulb1973

Post by paulb1973 »

I recall an RAF Nimrod colliding with a service car on the ground at Fairford - during the Saturday of one of the late 90s shows, preventing it displaying (but it did turn up).

farnboroughrob

Post by farnboroughrob »

Of course there was the show that didn't happen, Abingdon 1988. Would have been one of the best Abingdon lineups ever but the sad crash of the RAF Phantom during practice, with the loss of the crew, put pay to that. :sad:

Cole

Post by Cole »

eddywinch82 wrote:ColeTheDemolisher wrote :-

Southport 2016

X = Cancelled

1pm: P-51 Mustang
1.12pm: The Blades Aerobatic Team
X 1.33pm: MIG 15
X 1.45pm: Vampire Pair
X 1.59pm: OV-10 Bronco
2.09pm: The Tigers Freefall Team
X 2.26pm: Jet Provost Pair
2.42pm: Fireflies Aerobatic Team
3pm: Red Arrows
3.30pm: Team Raven
3.45pm: Battle Of Britain Memorial Flight
X 4.08pm: Army Historic Aircraft Flight - Sioux & Scott
4.16pm: B-25 Mitchell
4.28pm: Swordfish
4.38pm: The Black Cats
4.49pm: P-40 Kittyhawk

The Norwegian Vampire Pair and MIG 15, did display on the Sunday at Southport very good they were, they were weathered in at Duxford Airfield during their September Airshow on the Saturday. As the weather in the East of the Country was very poor that day. And the Jet Provost pair, ended up being a solo Jet Provost both days. I was really disappointed not to see the Bronco both days, as I have never seen one display at an Airshow before, that I have been to.

I only went on the saturday, a shame as i was really looking forward to seeing the vampires
Canon 800D & Sigma 150-600 C
Dudley, West Midlands

Shows I'm Attending in 2020:

Well Um..

Roughcutter

Post by Roughcutter »

Tragically in August 1984 a Varsity crashed at Leicester enroute to the Liverpool Wings & Wheels Show, killing a number of passenger/enthusiasts on board. Among the casualties was Mike Twite the first editor of Flypast.

voodoo

Post by voodoo »

Does anyone remember the 1993 Coningsby Open Day ? One of the highlights of the show was to have been the flypast by 16 Buccs that had been part of the Queen's Birthday formation.The cloud base dropped and you could hear,but not see, the formation a few miles out ,transiting back to Lossie !

beefer

Post by beefer »

That was why i went to Coningsby that year.Have a vague memory of a flypast of A-10s that was un - announced.

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

On this day nearly every year actually, red bodied aircraft with some support of leading animals? Anyone know its serial number?
Jokes aside, Mery Christmas to all those who run UKAR and all posters who make it what it is, have a blast! :cool:
Didn't know where to post it!

Georgeconna

Post by Georgeconna »

Worst one for me was Cork 1985. Local show, Massive buildup, Sunshine all the week previous to the weekend. However Building an airport with a built in low cloudbase and close to the Sea did not help. cue thick Fog. should have been my 1st time seeing Starfighters flying but only heard them as we went for a walk on the beach instead. should have went to Shannon for a Gander as most of the flying items were located there.

check out Malcom Nasons pics here for the Navy F-104s. there are loads of Quality oldies on his site.

http://images.google.de/imgres?imgurl=h ... 6&biw=1101

Also made the trip from Ireland to a evening Shuttleworth Airshow to find the gates firmly shut and the Rain Teaming down and the show cancelled. must have been 10 years or so now. Thankfully the back up interest of Railways kicked and and we spent the day in a nice warm coach on the Nene Valley.
Cheers

George

Zero shows for 2018 Giving in a Rest.

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

Me - Shuttleworth Spring show in 2009 (same day as the Victor "flew" at Bruntingthorpe).

We were held up on the A1 by a fatal accident and then dad and I got into the queue just outside the field and crawled - we realised there was a car event going on as well and that we'd be waiting to get in for ages. So turned around and left it - we had contemplated Bruntingthorpe (nearer to home and cheaper) but had decided on the old stuff.
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

G-CVIX

Post by G-CVIX »

Bit of a resurrection, but the A-4 from RIAT 2017 ought to be added to the list!

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

USMC F-4s at the Phinal Phantom Photocall in 1992.
Danish F-100 which displayed at Brize rather than the BoB show at Abingdon - 1979/80/81 ish.
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

ikarus

Post by ikarus »

Seem to remember post the Russian TU-95 visits , one year wasn't a Beriev BE12 slated to visit Fairford but never appeared /made it :sad: ?

SCARECROW 451

Post by SCARECROW 451 »

1983? - two F-106 Delta Darts (87th FIS, KI Sawyer AFB) were booked, but didn't arrive. Explanation back then was that the squadron didn't have enough pilots to fly them. Confirm/deny?

Def 85

The Nimrod was driven into by an airfield sweeper, a bin bag and black tape got it back to Kinloss at low level.

An IL-28 Beagle was due at an u/k IAT

And the Lightning that crashed at Scarborough en route to Teesside airshow on 26th Aug 83, sadly.

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

One of these was due to arrive at the Leuchars air show of 2011 but sadly didn't make it.

138EAW

Post by 138EAW »

Didn't the LC-130 divert with an issue en route? Or was that just fence talk, can remember being down the beach end in the rain with all the rumours going about it
Gary

McG

Post by McG »

German Mig-29 - that's been listed on the RIAT section of the forum as attending for as long as I can remember, yet never turns up. :lol:

AndyXH558

Post by AndyXH558 »

F111 displaying at Barton when it should have been at woodford in the 80s. Beriev A40 Albatross almost didnt get to woodford in 1993 as it flew over manchester, barton, liverpool then when it finally arrived at the airfield if flew over at 2000 ft.
Life's a piece of S*** if you look at it!