RAF Tutor Display Pilot 2017 Announced

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
Georgeconna

Re: RAF Tutor Display Pilot 2017 Announced

Post by Georgeconna »

"It's a superb recruiting tool to get kids engaged" - Maybe have a glance at the kids when its on. they tend to be more interested in their phones and selfies these days.

I do admire the flying qualities of the Pilot and how they manage to squeeze the max out of the Aeroplane during the display.
Cheers

George

Zero shows for 2018 Giving in a Rest.

GertrudetheMerciless

Post by GertrudetheMerciless »

Georgeconna wrote:"It's a superb recruiting tool to get kids engaged" - Maybe have a glance at the kids when its on. they tend to be more interested in their phones and selfies these days.

Actually, in my experience they enjoy it and are quite engaged. The fact it is able to use far smaller airports than the other RAF assets gives it a prime advantage as even at non airfield sites it is easier for the team to "mingle" and "engage", and those kids (who, as you say, are glued to their phones) were quite often seen queuing to meet the pilot when it could be arranged. :smile:

Spotty_Jag

Post by Spotty_Jag »

2017 display dates announced... not many chances to see the Tutor Display in action! :hide:

10 Jun 17, Retro Festival, Newark
11 Jun 17, RAF Cosford Air Show
11 Jun 17, Welshpool Air Sho

1-2 Jul 17, Wales National Air Show
22 Jul 17, Scottish National Air Show, East Fortune
22-23 Jul 17, Sunderland International Air Show

25 Aug 17, Clacton Air Show

2-3 Sep 17, Scottish International Air Show, Prestwick
2-3 Sep 17, Northern Ireland International Air Show, Portrush

16-17 Sep 17,Southport Air Show

G-CVIX

Post by G-CVIX »

Very sparse

Ouragan

Post by Ouragan »

Not Scampton?

st24

Post by st24 »

Ouragan wrote:Not Scampton?

Beggars belief ! And no RIAT?! Bizarre.
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Yay !! Swansea !!
That means they'll get to see a type rarely seen in this area........
.....oh, wait...... :lol:
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

st24 wrote:Beggars belief ! And no RIAT?! Bizarre.

Yep....people will have to wait until the Wing Walkers are announced before they can go on about 'toilet breaks' :whistle:
:biggrin:
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

itfcscott
UKAR Staff

Post by itfcscott »

G-CVIX wrote:Very sparse

The display calendar has been designed that way for a couple of different reasons this year, more details to come and an explanation of it in an upcoming UKAR feature.

farnboroughrob

Post by farnboroughrob »

Looking at that list it hardly seems worth the effort. Most of the displays are seaside ones so will seem even further away! Would be great if the RAF got the Tutors along to some of the smaller events and really get involved with potential recruits from a early age.

PeterR

Post by PeterR »

farnboroughrob wrote:Would be great if the RAF got the Tutors along to some of the smaller events and really get involved with potential recruits from a early age.

Up to the smaller events to request flypasts/static displays from the Tutor in order for that to happen..! :whistle:

UK Airshow Review
UKAR Staff

Post by UK Airshow Review »

"Learning Curve" - Scott Perry travelled to RAF Wittering to interview the new RAF Tutor Display pilot, Sqn Ldr Andy Tagg, for a UK Airshow Review exclusive.

Image Image Image Image Image

CJS

Post by CJS »

Interesting article, well done Scott. :-)
Buy the sky and sell the sky and lift your arms up to the sky and ask the sky"

Harvo266

Post by Harvo266 »

UK Airshow Review wrote:"Learning Curve" - Scott Perry travelled to RAF Wittering to interview the new RAF Tutor Display pilot, Sqn Ldr Andy Tagg, for a UK Airshow Review exclusive.

Image Image Image Image Image

Nice article! I couldn't help but notice a few quotes though....like "I'm not a big fan of negative G....so i've taken all of the negative G stuff out" and "I've taken the simple theme and made it even simpler"
I understand that he is new to display flying and less experienced than Andy Preece (previous display pilot) but I don't think anyone is a "fan of negative G" but it is about enduring the matter of seconds to showcase the aircraft at its maximum ability. And with regards to the second quote, I firstly think that it is odd he openly said that in an interview and secondly feel like the display is perhaps a bit half-hearted? Maybe i'm being a bit over critical... I don't know.
Nikon D500

JJC

Post by JJC »

My thoughts exactly.
''Time to dive into the fireworks!''

GertrudetheMerciless

farnboroughrob wrote:Looking at that list it hardly seems worth the effort. Most of the displays are seaside ones so will seem even further away! Would be great if the RAF got the Tutors along to some of the smaller events and really get involved with potential recruits from a early age.

You say that, but seaside shows are where you get lots and lots of the people the display is trying to appeal to.

As for RIAT and Scampton: maybe it's an appreciation of the limitations of the Tutor and the fact it is better suited to more "compact" display sites.

GertrudetheMerciless

Harvo266 wrote:I understand that he is new to display flying and less experienced than Andy Preece (previous display pilot) but I don't think anyone is a "fan of negative G" but it is about enduring the matter of seconds to showcase the aircraft at its maximum ability.

The Tutor doesn't like negative G either. In a display where you rely on energy management (which S/L Tagg is), rather than potential energy (ie starting high, as some Tutor display pilots have previously) then all negative G "manoeuvres" (if you can even call them that) just decay energy ridiculously quickly (it has a wing designed to fly the right way up. Straight and level inverted is bad enough, but asking the wing to perform further is tricky, particularly with very few horses up front to assist). Andy Preece's displays had very little negative G in them IIRC by the time he'd refined them for his final year or two.

:smile:

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Harvo266 wrote:

Nice article! I couldn't help but notice a few quotes though....like "I'm not a big fan of negative G....so i've taken all of the negative G stuff out" and "I've taken the simple theme and made it even simpler"
I understand that he is new to display flying and less experienced than Andy Preece (previous display pilot) but I don't think anyone is a "fan of negative G" but it is about enduring the matter of seconds to showcase the aircraft at its maximum ability. And with regards to the second quote, I firstly think that it is odd he openly said that in an interview and secondly feel like the display is perhaps a bit half-hearted? Maybe i'm being a bit over critical... I don't know.

Yes, we should force pilots to carry out manoeuvres they're not happy with for our viewing pleasure...

<sighs>

Harvo266

Post by Harvo266 »

Spiny Norman wrote:
Harvo266 wrote:

Yes, we should force pilots to carry out manoeuvres they're not happy with for our viewing pleasure...

<sighs>

I don't mean that by any accounts, but, taking the Typhoon for example, the display this year includes an inverted pass and then a push up to near vertical with burners. You can bet that it would be extremely uncomfortable for him, but it's about him showing the Typhoons ability. Obviously I would rather the display was a bit more tame and safe than high energy and dangerous but I would have thought an inverted pass would perhaps be in the sequence?
Nikon D500

Harvo266

Post by Harvo266 »

GertrudetheMerciless wrote:
Harvo266 wrote:I understand that he is new to display flying and less experienced than Andy Preece (previous display pilot) but I don't think anyone is a "fan of negative G" but it is about enduring the matter of seconds to showcase the aircraft at its maximum ability.

The Tutor doesn't like negative G either. In a display where you rely on energy management (which S/L Tagg is), rather than potential energy (ie starting high, as some Tutor display pilots have previously) then all negative G "manoeuvres" (if you can even call them that) just decay energy ridiculously quickly (it has a wing designed to fly the right way up. Straight and level inverted is bad enough, but asking the wing to perform further is tricky, particularly with very few horses up front to assist). Andy Preece's displays had very little negative G in them IIRC by the time he'd refined them for his final year or two.

Fair enough, I do know from experience the Tutor is low powered, but I still managed to do at least 5 seconds inverted, and it was only -1.5G too. At least we're actually getting a tutor on the display circuit!
Nikon D500

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

I think you're reading waaaaaaaaaayyy too much into a single sentence.
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

st24

Post by st24 »

GertrudetheMerciless wrote: (it has a wing designed to fly the right way up. Straight and level inverted is bad enough, but asking the wing to perform further is tricky,).

That can be said about any heavier than air aeroplane with wings...or rotors!
Last edited by st24 on Mon 10 Apr 2017, 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

Harvo266

Post by Harvo266 »

Wissam24 wrote:I think you're reading waaaaaaaaaayyy too much into a single sentence.

Would you be able to elaborate on this, just out of curiosity; I like hearing things from different perspectives :)
Nikon D500

BillRamsey

Post by BillRamsey »

Delighted to see Team Tutor rides again in such good hands. For those who don't know, here is a short article I did for GAR highlighting some of the difficulties the Tutor Display pilot faces. It's harder to do than you might think. Incidentally I did an inverted push into the second half of a loop in the 09/10 Tutor displays which always worked fine.

http://www.globalaviationresource.com/v2/2014/07/07/airshow-feature-so-you-thought-that-display-was-poor-did-you/

Bill

Seahornet

Post by Seahornet »

st24 wrote:
GertrudetheMerciless wrote: (it has a wing designed to fly the right way up. Straight and level inverted is bad enough, but asking the wing to perform further is tricky,).

That can be said about any heavier than air aeroplane with wings...or rotors!

I think designers such as Walter Extra, Christopher Morse and Eric Zivko might take issue with that statement!

Most high-performance aerobatic aircraft have a fully symmetrical wing section, specifically to allow it to perform in exactly the same manner in both erect and inverted flight. Needless to say, the Tutor does not!
And as the smart ship grew,
In stature, grace and hue,
In shadowy silent distance grew the iceberg too....