Classic Air Force

Classic Air Force

Postby 106500 on Sat 04 Feb 2017, 1:09 pm

It occurred to me that it's been quite a while since there's been news on the whereabouts and status of the Classic Air Force aircraft following its sad demise last year. In particular, who can forget the wonderful Meteor, Vampire and Venom displays of 2015! Where are they now? Has the unfortunate events at Shoreham spelt their permanent grounding? :sad:
106500

Re: Classic Air Force

Postby LN Strike Eagle on Sat 04 Feb 2017, 1:11 pm

The Vampire was sold and left the country to fly to Jordan last spring. I believe the remainder of the jets are still for sale.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"
User avatar
LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Re: Classic Air Force

Postby Spotty_Jag on Sat 04 Feb 2017, 1:56 pm

The DH Dove was sold to AeroLegends and both DH Rapides were sold to Classic Wings. As Dan said, one of the Vampires has been sold to Jordan.

The rest of the fleet remains for sale at bargain bucket prices. In the meantime, their insurance cover was cancelled so most of the fleet haven't flown in over 24 months which for jets like the Meteor and Venom means restoration work is required if/when they are flown again. A sad state of affairs given the number of events which would likely be interested in booking classic RAF aircraft types in 2018...
Spotty_Jag

Re: Classic Air Force

Postby CameronSys on Sat 04 Feb 2017, 2:08 pm

G-HELV Vampire was indeed sold, and now resides in Jordan. Here is a photo of its final landing at Coventry, the day before beginning the long journey east...
ImageVampire G-HELV by Cameron Sys, on Flickr

As said above, the DH Devon VP981 was sold to Aero Legends, as was the Percival Prentice. DH89 Rapide G-AIDL was sold to Classic Wings, however G-AGTM (the other Rapide) was not. It has been sold to a private owner, in the UK. Chipmunk G-APLO was sold to a private owner and resides in the Netherlands I believe. Dakotas G-ANAF and G-AMPY remain based at Coventry to fulfil their RVL Oil Spill Response contracts. The Percival Pembroke has flown to its new owner, and is now based near Dublin - the Chrislea Super Ace and Twin Pin (whether by road or by air is unclear at the moment) are also planned to join it. The Anson, has flown very recently...

As is very well documented, Canberra B.2/6 WK163 has been sold to a well known owner at Doncaster.

The remainder of the fleet are still hangared at Coventry, being looked after until such a time that they sell. Don't assume the worst is all I will say about these.

Cameron
User avatar
CameronSys

Re: Classic Air Force

Postby mr_craig on Sat 04 Feb 2017, 2:27 pm

Most can be found here. They may be advertised elsewhere.
http://www.historicandclassicaircraftsales.com/
mr_craig

Re: Classic Air Force

Postby Spotty_Jag on Sat 04 Feb 2017, 2:31 pm

CameronSys wrote:The remainder of the fleet are still hangared at Coventry, being looked after until such a time that they sell. Don't assume the worst is all I will say about these.


How many engineers/aircrew are still on the books at Air Atlantique, and "looking after" the jets then, out of interest? :dunno:
Spotty_Jag

Re: Classic Air Force

Postby 106500 on Sat 04 Feb 2017, 11:39 pm

CameronSys wrote:G-HELV Vampire was indeed sold, and now resides in Jordan. Here is a photo of its final landing at Coventry, the day before beginning the long journey east...
ImageVampire G-HELV by Cameron Sys, on Flickr

As said above, the DH Devon VP981 was sold to Aero Legends, as was the Percival Prentice. DH89 Rapide G-AIDL was sold to Classic Wings, however G-AGTM (the other Rapide) was not. It has been sold to a private owner, in the UK. Chipmunk G-APLO was sold to a private owner and resides in the Netherlands I believe. Dakotas G-ANAF and G-AMPY remain based at Coventry to fulfil their RVL Oil Spill Response contracts. The Percival Pembroke has flown to its new owner, and is now based near Dublin - the Chrislea Super Ace and Twin Pin (whether by road or by air is unclear at the moment) are also planned to join it. The Anson, has flown very recently...

As is very well documented, Canberra B.2/6 WK163 has been sold to a well known owner at Doncaster.

The remainder of the fleet are still hangared at Coventry, being looked after until such a time that they sell. Don't assume the worst is all I will say about these.

Cameron


This is a terrific, comprehensive update, thanks. Particularly interested in the Twin Pin. I'd love to see that fly again. Also rather surprised the Meteors haven't sold, they are really special aircraft.
106500

Re: Classic Air Force

Postby FGR2 on Sun 05 Feb 2017, 10:29 am

In autumn 2015, I heard that the Anson and Meteor T7 were going to the same UK owner.

The rest of the collection were intended to stay together and flown by another UK operator.

Seeing that the Meteor is up for sale on Platinum Fighters, I can only assume that this/these deals came to nothing.

It is a shame that with the RAF's anniversary next year, it looks like some of the most significant aircraft in British Military History will be non-airworthy in a hangar. :(
FGR2

Re: Classic Air Force

Postby CameronSys on Sun 05 Feb 2017, 10:47 am

FGR2 wrote:In autumn 2015, I heard that the Anson and Meteor T7 were going to the same UK owner.
The rest of the collection were intended to stay together and flown by another UK operator...
...I can only assume that this/these deals came to nothing.


Correct, sadly nothing ever came of those talks.

FGR2 wrote:It is a shame that with the RAF's anniversary next year, it looks like some of the most significant aircraft in British Military History will be non-airworthy in a hangar.


And to that, never say never...
User avatar
CameronSys

Re: Classic Air Force

Postby Tommy on Sun 05 Feb 2017, 11:30 am

They would've needed a re-brand, but if VTTS really wanted to keep themselves in the game, this, or part of this collection should have been on their shopping list, IMO.
User avatar
Tommy
UKAR Staff

Re: Classic Air Force

Postby Spotty_Jag on Sun 05 Feb 2017, 11:39 am

There's only one Venom listed on the HCAS website? Does that mean one has already been sold?
Spotty_Jag

Re: Classic Air Force

Postby PeterR on Sun 05 Feb 2017, 11:54 am

If any with some cash to burn reads this, feel free to steal the idea: :heyhey:

"PHOENIX SQUADRON" (Because they're rising from the ashes, get it?).

To start with just acquire...
Canberra (Ex-Midair PR9 is probably easiest)
Meteor (Preferably both of them, but the T7 first.)
Venom (Just the FB1/FB50)
Vampire (Preferably the VPG T11)

And if funds allowed...
Hunter (A T variant, sure you can pick one up for cheap in the current climate)
Buccaneer (ZU-NIP is available but I imagine they'd be a lot of paperwork involved).

You model the collection to be self-funding by selling flights using the same authorisation model that now allows Spitfire passenger flights etc. It'd be pricey but imagine the corporate hospitality days when you and your boss would dogfight in a pair of classic British fighter jets? It'd be a niece market but I'm sure they are people out their who would have the cash to burn for their chance to fly in these aircraft.

I think having them all in matching colour scheme with newly designed Phoenix Squadron markings would be the best way forward, even if they had to wear their G- registrations rather than authentic colour schemes. Just for the brand identity value and it would also allow sponsors logos to be applied to the airframes when required. For example, a local hotel/restaurant can sponsor the appearance of one of the jets at their local airshow and their reward is their logo stickered onto the topside/tail/droptank (depending on how much they spend) of the aircraft for that display. I know there's plenty of enthusiasts who think that would be a sin, but a choice of a flying jet with logos or a grounded one in authentic scheme only has one winner in my eyes.

Of course, airshow bookings would also help the revenue stream. Create a public hype behind the Phoenix Squadron which would lead to public desire to have them booked at their local airshows. Look at how many more bookings Miss Demeanour got that other Hunters, because of the recognisable paint scheme and hype around that. Displays could just be solos but also routines of multi aircraft formations available for bigger events with bigger budgets.

Also a proper membership programme with weekly donations of differing amounts getting different access. Weekly newsletters don't cost much to produce for your loyal supporters, and also exclusive photoshoot opportunities for club members etc. The possibilities with this are endless and who wouldn't donate £1 a week to help jets in the air, every little helps! Hangar tours could also be offered, perhaps with a small fee on top for members but steeper prices for non-members.

Anyone who knows a good investment banker, drop me a PM and we'll make it happen..!
PeterR

Re: Classic Air Force

Postby RAF4EVER on Sun 05 Feb 2017, 12:53 pm

[quote="PeterR"]If any with some cash to burn reads this, feel free to steal the idea: :heyhey:

"PHOENIX SQUADRON" (Because they're rising from the ashes, get it?).

To start with just acquire...
Canberra (Ex-Midair PR9 is probably easiest)
Meteor (Preferably both of them, but the T7 first.)
Venom (Just the FB1/FB50)
Vampire (Preferably the VPG T11)

And if funds allowed...
Hunter (A T variant, sure you can pick one up for cheap in the current climate)
Buccaneer (ZU-NIP is available but I imagine they'd be a lot of paperwork involved).

You model the collection to be self-funding by selling flights using the same authorisation model that now allows Spitfire passenger flights etc. It'd be pricey but imagine the corporate hospitality days when you and your boss would dogfight in a pair of classic British fighter jets? It'd be a niece market but I'm sure they are people out their who would have the cash to burn for their chance to fly in these aircraft.

What is a niece market?,or do you mean niche.? :smile:
RAF4EVER

Re: Classic Air Force

Postby GertrudetheMerciless on Sun 05 Feb 2017, 1:15 pm

Tommy wrote:They would've needed a re-brand, but if VTTS really wanted to keep themselves in the game, this, or part of this collection should have been on their shopping list, IMO.


So they bought the most unairworthy one! :facepalm:

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but with the stated long term aims of the project you do wonder whether a smaller start would have been better. Then again, maybe CAF saw it as an opportunity to sell the Canberra? We just don't know. :smile:
GertrudetheMerciless

Re: Classic Air Force

Postby Wes_Howes on Sun 05 Feb 2017, 1:16 pm

PeterR wrote:"PHOENIX SQUADRON" (Because they're rising from the ashes, get it?).


I'd had similar ideas regarding this, just need that huge Euromillions win first :grin:
User avatar
Wes_Howes

Re: Classic Air Force

Postby 106500 on Sun 05 Feb 2017, 2:12 pm

Wes_Howes wrote:
PeterR wrote:"PHOENIX SQUADRON" (Because they're rising from the ashes, get it?).


I'd had similar ideas regarding this, just need that huge Euromillions win first :grin:


If you won a roll over Euromillions jackpot you'd be able to import a SA Lightning and fly it - everything has its price!
106500

Re: Classic Air Force

Postby Pat Murphy on Sun 05 Feb 2017, 4:11 pm

106500 wrote:
Wes_Howes wrote:
PeterR wrote:"PHOENIX SQUADRON" (Because they're rising from the ashes, get it?).


I'd had similar ideas regarding this, just need that huge Euromillions win first :grin:


If you won a roll over Euromillions jackpot you'd be able to import a SA Lightning and fly it - everything has its price!


Even a Rollover Euromillions won't get that flying in the UK, more's the pity. CAA sez No :sad:
http://www.northwalesbreaks.co.uk
Formerly known as Ilovelightnings
User avatar
Pat Murphy

Re: Classic Air Force

Postby The Baron on Sun 05 Feb 2017, 4:30 pm

CameronSys wrote:And to that, never say never...


Care to expand on this Cameron? Living close to Coventry you obviously have info us mere mortals might be interested in.
Personally, besides the Meteors I want to see the Anson, Pembroke and Twin Pin back on the circuit.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.
User avatar
The Baron

Re: Classic Air Force

Postby 106500 on Sun 05 Feb 2017, 6:51 pm

Must admit I'm intrigued about the Twin Pin and the long saga about its wing struts. As I understand it, replacements were found and imported but didn't fit. Any update on this story? I for one yearn to see this plane back in the air where it belongs!
106500

Re: Classic Air Force

Postby Spotty_Jag on Sun 05 Feb 2017, 7:15 pm

The Baron wrote:Personally, I want to see the Pembroke back on the circuit.

The AA/CAF example was sold, and likewise the example previously operated by Andrew Dixon has a new owner too, based at St Athan.
I believe both aircraft are available for display bookings so they may be seen during 2017? Guess we need one of the display organisers who frequent the forum to confirm if that's the case?
Spotty_Jag

Re: Classic Air Force

Postby Beech18Boy on Sun 05 Feb 2017, 7:58 pm

Spotty_Jag wrote:
The Baron wrote:Personally, I want to see the Pembroke back on the circuit.

The AA/CAF example was sold, and likewise the example previously operated by Andrew Dixon has a new owner too, based at St Athan.
I believe both aircraft are available for display bookings so they may be seen during 2017? Guess we need one of the display organisers who frequent the forum to confirm if that's the case?


Andrew Dixon's Pembroke is now owned by Mark Stott down at St Athan with his other 2 very significant British aircraft, if you would like to see the pembroke it will be at Halfpenny Green in April for the Radial Fly-in for the weekend.

there is plenty of interesting things going on with CAF aircraft what that space...
Beech18Boy

Re: Classic Air Force

Postby 106500 on Sun 05 Feb 2017, 8:16 pm

Wow, that's 2 x clearly informed posters who imply exciting time ahead for the former CAF aircraft! Surely we can't just leave it there - any more snippets pretty please?! :clap:
106500

Re: Classic Air Force

Postby CameronSys on Sun 05 Feb 2017, 8:32 pm

106500 wrote:Must admit I'm intrigued about the Twin Pin and the long saga about its wing struts. As I understand it, replacements were found and imported but didn't fit. Any update on this story? I for one yearn to see this plane back in the air where it belongs!


Imported wing struts didn't fit, so it was decided that some should be scratch made. The issue being the original strut material is no longer available, so a lighter but stronger material had to be used - which of course needed to be approved. This process began, but I'm not sure if it ever progressed past that.
User avatar
CameronSys

Re: Classic Air Force

Postby Beech18Boy on Sun 05 Feb 2017, 8:44 pm

106500 wrote:Wow, that's 2 x clearly informed posters who imply exciting time ahead for the former CAF aircraft! Surely we can't just leave it there - any more snippets pretty please?! :clap:


The DC6 is wanted to carry passengers to take them back to a golden age of travel when the issues are solved.
Beech18Boy

Re: Classic Air Force

Postby CameronSys on Sun 05 Feb 2017, 8:46 pm

Beech18Boy wrote:
106500 wrote:Wow, that's 2 x clearly informed posters who imply exciting time ahead for the former CAF aircraft! Surely we can't just leave it there - any more snippets pretty please?! :clap:


The DC6 is wanted to carry passengers to take them back to a golden age of travel when the issues are solved.


Indeed :) I just hope the flights are priced affordably and not just for the richer among us...
User avatar
CameronSys

Next

Return to Aviation Waffle

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], ChrisGilligan, LittleRedTrain, Maccyd, motormouser, paulb1973 and 29 guests