Classic Air Force

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
Pat Murphy

Re: Classic Air Force

Post by Pat Murphy »

FGR2 wrote:
Tommy wrote:*sigh*

As Geoff said on Twitter - look at that metal ripe for polishing to a chrome standard... :sad: :sad:

[fb-post]https://www.facebook.com/worldheritageairmuseum/posts/1298318750233626[/fb-post]

Such a shame we have lost it overseas :(

One of the most important historic jet aircraft in RAF history, I wonder how many more we will lose.

Well to quote and Americanism, That Sucks! :sad: Gutted to see the Meteor go. Just as an aside to this. The RNHF seem to have managed to save the Vixen by going civilian with charitable status. It's a pity nobody in the RAF has managed to take this operating model on and save some significant hardware such as the Meteor and others. Maybe it's time to look at the narrow remit of the BBMF, lets face it, the Lancaster and the Dakota is nothing to do with The Battle of Britain anyway. An RAF Memorial flight perhaps. The old Vintage Pair could have been resurrected, as I believe Vampire WZ507 is still for sale? An opportunity missed maybe. Discuss on this thread mods or maybe a new thread on it's own?
Pat

st24

Post by st24 »

Pat Murphy wrote: Maybe it's time to look at the narrow remit of the BBMF, lets face it, the Lancaster and the Dakota is nothing to do with The Battle of Britain anyway. An RAF Memorial flight perhaps.
Pat

Has long been suggested; after all only the Spitfire IIa has any relevance to the BoB in real terms.
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

Russ

Post by Russ »

Great shame. Lovely unique aircraft and great display too. Will be missed.

Have to agree that in the circumstances, you have to question the 100k that's gone into keeping a static Vulcan off limits to the public recently. :roll:

Ouragan

Post by Ouragan »

Who in the UK, given the current uncertainties, would look to purchase a jet warbird with an intention to earn revenue by using it for display purposes? I believe a Jet Provost T.5A with CofA permit was sold recently by one UK owner to another for £13,500, which is less than you can buy a second hand car for these days. Sadly, I don't think WA591 will be the last to leave our shores.

Ryan.

Post by Ryan. »

Russ wrote: Have to agree that in the circumstances, you have to question the 100k that's gone into keeping a static Vulcan off limits to the public recently. :roll:

Although I agree, starting any kind of fund wouldn't attract anywhere near the money the Vulcan can pull, static or otherwise.

Also, an eventual ground operating Vulcan, isn't going to get the volley of paperwork every flying classic jet is about to receive.

wv383

Post by wv383 »

Ryan. wrote:
Russ wrote: Have to agree that in the circumstances, you have to question the 100k that's gone into keeping a static Vulcan off limits to the public recently. :roll:

Although I agree, starting any kind of fund wouldn't attract anywhere near the money the Vulcan can pull, static or otherwise.

Also, an eventual ground operating Vulcan, isn't going to get the volley of paperwork every flying classic jet is about to receive.

Let's face it, yes the Vulcan dragged in a huge amount of money but that was only partly due to the fact that it is a Vulcan. With the wall to wall publicity it both generated and received, even those who hadn't heard of it before got caught up in it and dug their hands into their pockets. If someone wanted to raise funds for another aircraft, whatever it might be, the same amount of publicity would also have to be generated, not simply a Just Giving page or similar. At the moment that idea is akin to sticking a classified ad in an aviation magazine and saying "Give us your money". It needs massive publicity to a much wider audience.
Simon

Russ

Post by Russ »

I wasn't suggesting the people who donated to the Vulcan static "survival" should have clubbed together to save the Meteor. I was merely trying to put it into perspective. The Vulcan will always have more appeal even though it's grounded and off-limits, but arguably the Meteor is more historically significant.

FGR2

Post by FGR2 »

Ouragan wrote:Who in the UK, given the current uncertainties, would look to purchase a jet warbird with an intention to earn revenue by using it for display purposes? I believe a Jet Provost T.5A with CofA permit was sold recently by one UK owner to another for £13,500, which is less than you can buy a second hand car for these days. Sadly, I don't think WA591 will be the last to leave our shores.

It does seem like the events of Shoreham have now made classic jets unattractive to operators. I believe someone in the UK was looking to buy the T7 and Anson around that time. I am only glad I went to Farnborough Airshow in 2014, which had the CAF Meteor T7 and Vampire pairs display, the Canberra PR9, and Vulcan in the flying display. Also had the nice Royal Navy Hunter on static.

Arthur Tee

Post by Arthur Tee »

Avro Anson WD413 (G-VROE) flew into its new home this afternoon - Sleap, Shropshire.

Arthur
Canon PowerShot SX40HS - It's not what you've got - it's what you do with it!

st24

Post by st24 »

Arthur Tee wrote:Avro Anson WD413 (G-VROE) flew into its new home this afternoon - Sleap, Shropshire.

Arthur

That's great news! :yahoo:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

Xm657

Post by Xm657 »

Ouragan wrote:Who in the UK, given the current uncertainties, would look to purchase a jet warbird with an intention to earn revenue by using it for display purposes?

Robert Pleming?

rob68

Post by rob68 »

Today at Coventry for the WR963 photoshoot, the twin Pionneer had been moved on to the tarmac, work was taking place to remove the engines. Overheard that it and the DC6 dinner were going, whatever that means