Save the Skymaster

Discussions regarding historic aircraft, restoration and preservation etc
PirateTrickster

Re: Save the Skymaster

Post by PirateTrickster »

This was mentioned in passing in the commentary at Cosford on Sunday - on Saturday the plane has been moved/pulled somewhere at North Weald (not sure if it was moved about and re-parked but in it's original location or has been moved elsewhere on the airfield). There's a video on the FB page if anyone's interested.

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

It was towed to the area around the control tower for an event on Sunday. It was back at the Weald Aviation pan yesterday.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

Professor_M

Post by Professor_M »

Domvickery
UKAR Staff

Post by Domvickery »

That is really sad news

Deep down I think we all knew it wouldnt fly again but it is a damn shame the whole set up will be disbanded & now the aircraft faces an uncertain future.
Free straws available to clutch at - PM me. Inventor of the baguette scale

AlfaPapa

Post by AlfaPapa »

Very sorry to read this. It must be truly devastating for those who put such a lot of time and effort into the project.

Brenden S

Post by Brenden S »

I hope that for all the work everyone has done that they can transport the aircraft to say Duxford and keep the aircraft in a taxable condition.

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

Where did you get these Budget 'rumours' from? I hope it doesn't get Taxed! :wink:

Seriously though, sadly the Skymaster will only leave North Weald in smaller pieces than would be useful for a rebuild anywhere. :open_mouth:
Too long stored doing nothing. It's had a lot of time, effort & money thrown at it & it has three running engines, but still not taxiable?
Unless I missed something its only movement around N. Weald has been with a tow-bar attached. :frowning2:

Mike

Post by Mike »

It seems their cunning plan to polish it back to airworthiness has come to nothing