Twitter sycophancy

Twitter sycophancy

Postby Dan O'Hagan on Sat 24 Jun 2017, 9:49 pm

Anyone else narked at the latest trend for terrible photographers spamming social media with grainy, soft crops of display acts, tagging the pilot in question, desperate for retweets? So cringeworthy!
Dan O'Hagan

Re: Twitter sycophancy

Postby cg_341 on Sat 24 Jun 2017, 10:14 pm

Latest? It's been happening for the last count let of years!

The worst part are the female photographers and their awful photos who have pilots fawning all over them!
cg_341

Postby Dan O'Hagan on Sat 24 Jun 2017, 10:16 pm

Coningsby and North Weald appear to be fertile ground for the sycophants.
Dan O'Hagan

Postby boff180 on Sat 24 Jun 2017, 11:01 pm

Coningsby is full of them, the crap togs are also being worshipped by others.

What is encouraging it is the RAF - the display Typhoon team/pilot retweet this rubbish with "awesome shots". Indeed there are two togs (who I shall not name) of the opposite sex who just have to breath on Twitter and the RAF worship their shots - when half the time they're awful.

The same people use these words to describe the Typhoon.... "spluff" and "carrot maker"

When it comes to photography, Twitter is the home of worshipping rubbish imagery!
boff180
UKAR Staff

Postby Dan O'Hagan on Sat 24 Jun 2017, 11:05 pm

"Spluff" - no greater klaxon of idiocy.
Dan O'Hagan

Postby Harvo266 on Sat 24 Jun 2017, 11:09 pm

In literally 5 comments, you guys have made me laugh :D mostly because I know exactly who you are talking about...
I won't get involved...it's for the best :)
Shuttleworth SP
Torbay
Cosford
Weston
Yeovilton
RIAT
FIA
Eastbourne
Bournemouth
Ostrava
Duxford

Nikon D500
Harvo266

Postby GertrudetheMerciless on Sat 24 Jun 2017, 11:57 pm

Narked? Not really (again with caveat that I know exactly who you are talking about).

It's the modern joy of Twitter etc and it's amazing ability to connect people and enable people to associate with the display acts (fandom, "airshow groupies", call it what you will). Yes, some are geographically lucky enough to benefit from it, particularly as RAF display aircrew are mostly pushed into fairly active social media, but is it doing any harm?

Back in my day, the display pilot was a much rarer beast who generally kept themselves to themselves. :smile:
GertrudetheMerciless

Postby minnie the moocher on Sun 25 Jun 2017, 1:10 am

Dan O'Hagan wrote:Anyone else narked at the latest trend for terrible photographers spamming social media with grainy, soft crops of display acts, tagging the pilot in question, desperate for retweets? So cringeworthy!

so breaking that statement down what is your main grouse? :dunno:
a) poor quality images
b) people posting too much
c) the existence of a mutual admiration society
I don't use witter (spelling intentional) but isn't the whole point of social media exactly that - to be social, to share, to be part of a community and I guess that means yes people will share pictures. If they are proud of their pictures (even if others aren't) then yes they will be chuffed to bits if somebody comments approvingly. What is the harm? (unless its some terrible event people would rather not see or be reminded of)
We don't all live the same lives, we don't all share the same appreciation and some of us don't feel the need to be mean.
minnie the moocher

Postby speedbird2639 on Sun 25 Jun 2017, 7:15 am

I would imagine that a lot of this traffic on social media is being generated by the Social media Manager who is probably some 22 yo with a 'Douglas is Media Studies who is trying to use the reported increase in traffic to justify their own job continuing and by extension prove how popular their employers are with the public.

I'm not sure why people are getting so upset about it though, its be thus since the internet started - person posts rubbish picture; second person excessively praises rubbish picture (2nd person maybe first person with 2nd login). Not worth giving yourself an elevated stress level about to be honest.
speedbird2639

Postby J Cox on Sun 25 Jun 2017, 7:24 am

I use Twitter and currently follow most of the RAF display teams, mainly for display information and for the 'behind the scenes' photos. I don't mind the odd re-tweet or like of a photo which has been taken by an amateur, or a member of the public, who perhaps it's their first time seeing a display. I like that interaction.

But the few that completely bombard them with the same shots, day after day and with awful captions really is annoying and I get the impression that they think they are part of the team as well...

I love it when they tag The Red Arrows dye team in the photo, commenting "great smoke guys, good job!"
J Cox

Postby parsley on Sun 25 Jun 2017, 7:49 am

J Cox wrote:I use Twitter and currently follow most of the RAF display teams, mainly for display information and for the 'behind the scenes' photos. I don't mind the odd re-tweet or like of a photo which has been taken by an amateur, or a member of the public, who perhaps it's their first time seeing a display. I like that interaction.

But the few that completely bombard them with the same shots, day after day and with awful captions really is annoying and I get the impression that they think they are part of the team as well...

I love it when they tag The Red Arrows dye team in the photo, commenting "great smoke guys, good job!"

Probably the same people who will twitter a picture of the ham roll they are having for lunch with "great job Greggs,outstanding work"
parsley
UKAR Supporter

Postby Dan O'Hagan on Sun 25 Jun 2017, 8:10 am

Does the ham roll come with #carrots or #jelly?
Dan O'Hagan

Postby andrewn on Sun 25 Jun 2017, 9:16 am

I personally wouldn't mind if the pictures weren't SO uninspiring. Grey dot against grey sky, with "spluff" - repeat ad infinitum!

It's just a bit sad really isn't it?
andrewn

Postby The Baron on Sun 25 Jun 2017, 9:41 am

Exactly. I don't understand why people share obviously rubbish photos (blurred/bits missed/tiny dots etc) and why others insist on congratulating them. "Wow! Such a great photo!"
Strange species, humans.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.
The Baron

Postby G-ASSV on Sun 25 Jun 2017, 9:50 am

It's not just Twitter though, is it? Instagram is just as bad.
G-ASSV

Postby Dan O'Hagan on Sun 25 Jun 2017, 9:51 am

It wouldn't be so bad if the pictures were even average, but they're either completely out of focus or massive crops that are more grain than plane.

Coningsby doesn't have the monopoly on these people though, I can certainly think of one serial offender at North Weald on a regular basis who spams Twitter and aircrews with utter guff.
Dan O'Hagan

Postby Tommy on Sun 25 Jun 2017, 9:54 am

Concerning point I noticed is that the Reds (and indeed Typhoon), who are so scared of their own shadow they insist in numerous roads being closed, don't display at F'boro, or divert their display axis at Cosford despite displaying there umpteen times before, are quite happy to cover their timeline with retweeted pictures taken by unauthorised persons, in unauthorised areas (appear to be equivalent naughty fields) of practice displays that have not been granted public display authority.

#DoubleStandards

But woe betide pointing out that a vast percentage of images are crap. There's an army of anonymous happy-clappers ready to jump to their defence, stalk your personal profiles, dig up something (which they have no idea how personal it may be) and try and use it as a stick to beat you with, or just do the asinine "ignore them, they're obviously jealous" type of comment.

Social media is great, I love it, but there are some things on there which are so cringy it makes the toenails curl.
Tommy
UKAR Staff

Postby Reds Rolling on Sun 25 Jun 2017, 9:54 am

The display acts mostly ask for people to send in their photos. They are engaging with the wider public, not just the few who think themselves above the rest.

I don't see any harm in it, and after all it's just social media.
Reds Rolling

Postby Dan O'Hagan on Sun 25 Jun 2017, 10:01 am

Tommy wrote:Concerning point I noticed is that the Reds (and indeed Typhoon), who are so scared of their own shadow they insist in numerous roads being closed, don't display at F'boro, or divert their display axis at Cosford despite displaying there umpteen times before, are quite happy to cover their timeline with retweeted pictures taken by unauthorised persons, in unauthorised areas (appear to be equivalent naughty fields) of practice displays that have not been granted public display authority.

#DoubleStandards

This. A million times this.
Dan O'Hagan

Postby boff180 on Sun 25 Jun 2017, 10:02 am

Indeed, it just seems like Coningsby is the worst due to the RAF social media accounts positively encouraging it.

Without getting into a "naughty field" debate.... on PDA day the Coningsby social media accounts were literally begging people not to go anywhere other than the spotters car park (including saying not to go to the mound) for safety reasons.

An hour later they were retweeting one of the two female individuals photos - taken in the very spots they were asking people not to be - calling them amazing and awesome shots of the PDA. What sort of message does that portray of the RAF????
boff180
UKAR Staff

Postby cg_341 on Sun 25 Jun 2017, 10:14 am

Reds Rolling wrote:The display acts mostly ask for people to send in their photos. They are engaging with the wider public, not just the few who think themselves above the rest.

I don't see any harm in it, and after all it's just social media.

Problem is, they're not. They're engaging with five or six individuals. I've seen photos from airshows, taken by people on their phones, or with point-and-shoot cameras, of displays; these are the sort of people the RAF should be engaging with, but they're absolutely ignored. Add to that the amount of photos of "here's my son/daughter with Red X" type photos, which are also ignored...
cg_341

Postby Wissam24 on Sun 25 Jun 2017, 10:30 am

Dan O'Hagan wrote:Does the ham roll come with #carrots or #jelly?

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Brilliant!

I have no problem with the enthusiasm people show on Twitter. I never, ever begrudge anyone the right to take the pictures they have at whatever quality, nor the right to show people in their excitement. But for an organisation with X amount of in-house trained professional photographers there are a shocking amount of RAF accounts that will RT virtually any photograph at all. Given that the RAF puts people on social media training courses they should really have a better idea of what makes a good photograph and what's best to share. I remember the people in the marketing office I used to work in agonising over which were the best photographs to put on Twitter going by any number of criteria - and now you get RAF base accounts retweeting shots which aren't in focus and have bits cut off! Shawbury do a pretty good job when it comes to sharing the work of others - they tend to go for higher quality and/or very interesting material. I like to point to them as a superb example of social media engagement done right.

And as has been said above, it's always the same few individuals who are getting all the fuss, without any enormous amount of merit to justify it.
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016
Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Postby John_E on Sun 25 Jun 2017, 10:38 am

The ability to 'Turn off retweets' has been an absolute godsend for me, it means I don't see the stuff retweeted ad infinitem by the 3 or 4 'celebrity togs'/stalkers from Coningsby. I've also noticed a recent trend for people to tag one or two of these individuals in their own terrible photos, presumably in a desperate search for retweets.

I stopped tagging the Typhoon lot in anything without a central watermark after they took one of my photos last year and reposted it with the watermark cropped out. I also sent Mark Long a hi-res shot after he DM'd me via Twitter asking for it - I didn't even get a reply saying 'thanks' whereas certain others would have been invited for a personal tour of Coningsby.
John_E

Postby Dan O'Hagan on Sun 25 Jun 2017, 10:41 am

John_E wrote:The ability to 'Turn off retweets' has been an absolute godsend for me, it means I don't see the stuff retweeted ad infinitem by the 3 or 4 'celebrity togs'/stalkers from Coningsby. I've also noticed a recent trend for people to tag one or two of these individuals in their own terrible photos, presumably in a desperate search for retweets.

I stopped tagging the Typhoon lot in anything without a central watermark after they took one of my photos last year and reposted it with the watermark cropped out. I also sent Mark Long a hi-res shot after he DM'd me via Twitter asking for it - I didn't even get a reply saying 'thanks' whereas certain others would have been invited for a personal tour of Coningsby.

Something I was told a few years back and remains true to this day, the RAF are your best friends when they want something...
Dan O'Hagan

Postby LN Strike Eagle on Sun 25 Jun 2017, 10:49 am

Not a massive problem for me as someone that doesn't use social media, but I do see it even when I log in for an occasional browse on the UKAR account. I think Twitter is just the latest incarnation of it - a few years ago, everyone on the forums had a link in their signature to "xyz-photography.co.uk".

It's quite often the case that average photographers that are the most visible because they make up what they lack in camera skills with enthusiasm and self promotion. On Flickr there's stuff that you see with thousands of views, hundreds of likes and quite often featured in the "Explore" section and you marvel at how, even on a photography site with what you would assume to be a more informed audience, something so average could ever reach those heights. Then you realise that the photographer is following literally thousands of people to get thousands of followers in return and it begins to make sense - quantity over quality. Throw enough mud at the wall and some of it sticks.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"
LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Next

Return to Aviation Waffle